Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday May 4, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > General Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-09-2000, 09:46 PM   #1
MPREZYA
SCIC

Member#: 85
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Post Want an SAFC why not get something better...

For full info on the sheet go here: http://quark.masscom.net/~rubrduky/html/hksafr.html or just read below.
HKS News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super AFR
Available September 2000 / Now Accepting Pre-Orders
MSRP $399 / Part #: 4606-RA001
Features
Air/Fuel Ratio Correction Function

Controls air/fuel ratios through airflow meter or pressure sensor
Range - 50% rich to 50% lean from factory baseline setting
Output can be adjusted in 1% increments
Eleven points of adjustment between 650 to 8000 rpm, these points can be arbitrarily moved in 50 rpm increments throughout this range
Hmmm you can choose what RPM's you want it to adjust in 50rpm incriments and 11 different points cool

Response Correction Function

Engine response can be adjusted through airflow meter/pressure sensor
Range - 1m/sec. to 100 m/sec.
Six points of adjustment between 650 rpm to 5000 rpm, these points can be arbitrarily moved in 50 rpm increments
First in the industry to offer this function in a simple airflow correction device

Now this is why it is better than the "slow reacting" SAFC. No split second lag for corrections when tuning and especially helpful with having a turbo or fine tuning. The even better thing is it can control it at 6 different points in the entire RPM range.

Idle Correction Function

Idle mixture can be adjusted 50% rich to 50% lean in 1% increments within the idle range (650 to 1500 rpm) from factory baseline setting
This adjustment is made independent of the other eleven points of mixture adjustments in the air/fuel correction function

So you really have 12 adjustments and 11 of them over the entire RPM range.

Electronic Idle Stabilizer Function (EIDS)

This automatic function prevents engine stalling or stumbling in some airflow meter vehicles which use blow-off valves discharged to the atmosphere when throttle is released

Automatic which gives it an edge over playing around with the Decel function on the SAFC which is very tough to tune for those with turbo cars with MAFS and open atmosphere BOV's.

Ease of Adjustability and Set-up

This device is very simple to set-up and adjust
The head unit is adjusted through three control knobs
HKS recommends tuning for this device be done on a chassis dynamometer with use of an accurate air/fuel ratio measuring device

So it doesn't have the cool little displays like the SAFC. Oh well I would much preferr the better technology than the cool little display (which is what the HKS CAMP is for).

This is what I "discovered" at SEMA at the HKS booth while snooping around . This was some of the good news I brought back the rest can be found on the What you learned at SEMA post.
Rich

[This message has been edited by MPREZYA (edited November 09, 2000).]
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-09-2000, 09:48 PM   #2
RidinLow
Scooby Guru

Member#: 329
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1995 325i
Arctic Gray

Looks like the 1st generation Apexi AFC (not the S-AFC).
Old 11-09-2000, 10:04 PM   #3
MPREZYA
SCIC

Hey Garrick take a look at why it is better.
Also thanks to Rubr_Duky for hosting the info.
Rich

[This message has been edited by MPREZYA (edited November 09, 2000).]
Old 11-09-2000, 10:54 PM   #4
8Complex

Member#: 922
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
04 FXT
Red

Yeah, it does look kinda like the FIELD controller...
Old 11-10-2000, 07:46 AM   #5
RidinLow
Scooby Guru

Member#: 329
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1995 325i
Arctic Gray

Rich, whaddya mean by "slow-reacting" S-AFC? How much slower is it?

& the 50 RPM increments does sound nice...

[This message has been edited by RidinLow (edited November 10, 2000).]
Old 11-10-2000, 09:49 AM   #6
MPREZYA
SCIC

I have noticed the SAFC does seem to be slow reacting since I have removed mine. Granted I have an automatic but when your car starts to seem like a V-tec that needs to take a breath before charging twords redline something's not quite up to par. No part second pause before correcting when going from part to wide open throttle. Also it is like the TEC is considered slow by most tuners due to it's 8bit(IIRC) processing compared to others who have faster processing in them.
Rich

BTW: MSRP is $399 which is the same as the SAFC was when it came out and you can find it now for $300 so now it's time for most to ponder.

[This message has been edited by MPREZYA (edited November 10, 2000).]
Old 11-11-2000, 10:51 PM   #7
MPREZYA
SCIC

Bump
Rich