Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 11, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > STi Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2003, 08:54 AM   #1
Nick
The Godfather
 
Member#: 2
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Rowley, MA
Vehicle:
2015 STI Launch Ed.
Rally Blue Pearl

Exclamation For those feeling displaced by the closing of the STi Forum...

First thing I want to say, is the description alone states this was only a temporary forum.

"Please use this forum for any questions or factual information about the STi. This forum should help in locating STi specific information over the next few months as new info becomes available about the car."

This forum was only put into use to help make info easier to find while news about the car was not readily available because the cars had only just been announced in Detroit.

You guys have to understand that the idea of these forums is to keep discussion together, not separate. There are so many things we can all learn from each other in those other technical forums most of the STi folks have been avoiding so much.

Now... as far as this being a rash decision that is meant to spite all of the STi owners out there... it's not... I have an STi... why would I spite myself?

What you do need to understand is this is the exact same thing that happened when the WRX was released and that forum came and went. We're hearing the same arguments, the same angry comments, the same "I'm leaving and I'll never come back."

It really is better to separate the discussion, especially technical discussion, into their respective forums. You will find that it's much easier to get an answer to your question since the more technical people on the site do spend more of their time in those forums than the STi (if they ever even opened the STi forum, most avoided it like the plague because it was to them a jumbled mess).

Please understand this decision was made for the longevity of the site, not the immediate gratification as the cost of a rogue forum that doesn’t follow the rest of the sites ethic.

For those of you that choose to leave over this, I'm sorry to see change being such an obstacle for you. We have done our best to make the appropriate accommodations to fit whatever forums might be missing to properly address STi discussion (as well as all other 2.5L Turbo cars, everyone seems to forget about the Forester XT and the Baja).

Bottom line is what we've been doing, including decisions like this one, have keep this site around for a very long time and will continue to do so as long as we remain vigilant and make sure we are addressing the needs of the community and not just a select group.

-Nick
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Nick; 09-18-2003 at 11:57 AM.
Nick is online now  
Old 09-17-2003, 09:20 AM   #2
RafalW
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8193
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Illinois, USA
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STI
Blue

Default

If you would write something like this in the first place I bet you would avoid most of the harsh comments.
When most people read
Quote:
this is not subject to discussion- it is going to happen
and some more it made them agressive and it hard to be surprised.
Good job Nick. I am now looking forward how it will work out.
RafalW is offline  
Old 09-17-2003, 10:40 AM   #3
WagonDave
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 37595
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Vehicle:
2004 STI
White/Gold

Default just wanted to say thank you.

Nick,
Just wanted to take a moment and say thank you as the previous poster did. You explained the reasons behind the reorganization clearly and without rudeness, something some of the other moderators couldn't seem to do. The addition of the 2.5 Turbo forum will help with those technical questions particular to this engine. Thank you once again,

WagonDave
WagonDave is offline  
Old 09-17-2003, 10:54 AM   #4
wolverine
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 36571
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NorCal
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
Black & gold

Thumbs up

As an old Asian saying goes, "Treat others with respect, and you shall receive repect from others". Good job, Nick! I think I will hang around NASIOC after all...
wolverine is offline  
Old 09-17-2003, 12:05 PM   #5
WRXPRESS
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 393
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Montgomery Cnty PA
Vehicle:
1986 944T & Outback
Yellow & 99 Ducati 900ss

Default

I am one of the many bummed indiviuals to see the STi forum go but stating your reasons in the manner that you just did does help put it in a better light. Meaning the original post did read a bit harsh. Not to mention some of the Moderator coat tail riders with a quite crappy attitude saying That's how it is too bad ..just leave then.

It's just something to get used to now. You know society is geared toward more of an instant gratification mind set.

rambling done now....
WRXPRESS is offline  
Old 09-18-2003, 01:13 PM   #6
kenzo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6422
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: 02WRX, 04STi, 05LGT, 08Spec.B
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch Ltd
Ice Ice, Silver

Default

Hey,

You guys are doing all the work and covering the expenses - any way you want to arrange it is appreciated.

Thanks for all your efforts,
kenzo
kenzo is offline  
Old 09-19-2003, 03:30 PM   #7
strangerq
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13095
Join Date: Dec 2001
Default

Ok, I'll bite. It's your forum and you can do whatever you want with it. I don't mind the STI info forum going away per se.
But substituting a 2.5 and 2.0 turbo forum instead deserves an eyeroll.

You've basically substituted a straightforward distinction between the STI and WRX, with a euphemistic distinction based on engine size.

I would love to be a moderator just for the h*ll of it. Everytime anyone mentions an STI with the "wrong" size engine, I'll move it to another forum.

Ok gang...let's talk 22b!
strangerq is offline  
Old 09-19-2003, 04:01 PM   #8
Nick
The Godfather
 
Member#: 2
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Rowley, MA
Vehicle:
2015 STI Launch Ed.
Rally Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by strangerq
Ok, I'll bite. It's your forum and you can do whatever you want with it. I don't mind the STI info forum going away per se.
But substituting a 2.5 and 2.0 turbo forum instead deserves an eyeroll.

You've basically substituted a straightforward distinction between the STI and WRX, with a euphemistic distinction based on engine size.

I would love to be a moderator just for the h*ll of it. Everytime anyone mentions an STI with the "wrong" size engine, I'll move it to another forum.

Ok gang...let's talk 22b!
Well if this forum were only discussion about engines then yes... the 2.5L forum would have been a silly addition... but it wasn't... this forum contained a large number of questions ranging from engine, tranny, trim, audio, oil changes, as well as many other things.

Those other subjects already have a forum... but we did recognize that the 2.5L engine did have some differences that might come into play when tuning, so it does deserve to have it's own forum.

And that forum isn't called the STI Engine Forum on purpose.. it's the 2.5L Turbo forum... which encompasses more than just the STi.

-Nick
Nick is online now  
Old 09-20-2003, 10:14 AM   #9
hokiewrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 18505
Join Date: May 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2004 STi
PSM

Default

This is a two in one hand half a dozen in the other issue. From my point of view, forums cost nothing to keep open. So, I really don't understand the point in closing down a valueable information source for STi owners. I venture to say, as I own an STi I am not afraid to venture into some of the other forums to see what is being discussed, and likewise others who don't own STi's probably venture into the STi forum. On the other hand, this move will encourage other STi specific forums to open which is no secret. I suppose everyone is happy in the end?
hokiewrx is offline  
Old 09-20-2003, 12:18 PM   #10
Nick
The Godfather
 
Member#: 2
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Rowley, MA
Vehicle:
2015 STI Launch Ed.
Rally Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by hokiewrx
This is a two in one hand half a dozen in the other issue. From my point of view, forums cost nothing to keep open. So, I really don't understand the point in closing down a valueable information source for STi owners. I venture to say, as I own an STi I am not afraid to venture into some of the other forums to see what is being discussed, and likewise others who don't own STi's probably venture into the STi forum. On the other hand, this move will encourage other STi specific forums to open which is no secret. I suppose everyone is happy in the end?
True this isn't a money issue...

The point of this merger is to attempt to get these discussion where it belongs. Most of the STi owners who have been sheltered in here for the past few months are missing a WEALTH of information that's out there already. This forces them to go search for the answers and if they can't find then, pose the question to people who have more answers than you could ever imagine. This is a move to unify the board, keeping the STi forum open only helps create a little sub-community on an already existing community.

Now I would see your point if this were just a generic car website... with no make or model specificity, but it's not... it's a Subaru website, and more specifically a website about Imprezas. So the design of the forums is purpose built for discussion about these cars specifically.

I'll be honest... I liked the STi forum myself... having one... but it was the lazy man's solution to looking through the forums. Since I've started looking again through the other forums for my info, I found info that I wouldn't have unless I did venture into those other forums.

And we have to all be honest here... the STi forum wasn't that great of a wealth of info. I'm sure it could be narrowed down into about the same 10 questions asked over and over again. There were certainly the few really good threads, but most of it was just repetition of the same questions.

-Nick
Nick is online now  
Old 09-21-2003, 04:28 AM   #11
WReXinEfX
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20405
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Queens, New York
Vehicle:
2000 OBS WRX Swap
Green

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick


True this isn't a money issue...

The point of this merger is to attempt to get these discussion where it belongs. Most of the STi owners who have been sheltered in here for the past few months are missing a WEALTH of information that's out there already. This forces them to go search for the answers and if they can't find then, pose the question to people who have more answers than you could ever imagine. This is a move to unify the board, keeping the STi forum open only helps create a little sub-community on an already existing community.

Now I would see your point if this were just a generic car website... with no make or model specificity, but it's not... it's a Subaru website, and more specifically a website about Imprezas. So the design of the forums is purpose built for discussion about these cars specifically.

I'll be honest... I liked the STi forum myself... having one... but it was the lazy man's solution to looking through the forums. Since I've started looking again through the other forums for my info, I found info that I wouldn't have unless I did venture into those other forums.

And we have to all be honest here... the STi forum wasn't that great of a wealth of info. I'm sure it could be narrowed down into about the same 10 questions asked over and over again. There were certainly the few really good threads, but most of it was just repetition of the same questions.

-Nick
I think that's the best way to look at it.. most of the STI owners thinks 99% of the their car is different than the other Imprezas out there..

While a lot of STI parts are different, the design and support for most of the parts are the same or similar. STI parts are by in large interchangeable with WRX and other Imprezas.

There are a ton of information and knowledge that should be shared in more specific forums rather than a bunch of newbie STI owners shelter themselves in their own "badge" forum.

Those noob questions like "what oil for STI?" or "what floor mat for STI?" should all go to the right segment forums.
WReXinEfX is offline  
Old 09-24-2003, 03:35 PM   #12
Burke
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 38939
Join Date: Jun 2003
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Black w/ Gold Rims

Default

A lot of the issue here is the sheer volume of information and how easy it is to check for updates on all the things related to your specific car. If you are trying to find something specific then it doesn't matter how the information is segregated. You can easily go to the right forum or simply do a search. But alot of people (myself included) use the forum as a preventative measure (i.e. we don't know what we don't know) and log in daily to find out if someone has found something interesting that we should keep our eye on (consider it a daily news type of thing).

If the forum were small then it would be no big deal but with one this large (WRX /imprezza/ sti) you could spend days reading your daily updates on STI specific issues. As it stands now I will have to check many multiple forums to check all possible updates for my car (2.5L forum, chassis forum...whatever).

Its all really a matter of preference and ease of use to the end user. And I am sorry to see it go.

As for the "noob" term. The WRX guys don't like the STI guys being exclusive? Well I don't apreciate being called a noob in a derogitory manner by anyone. So look towards your own experience based prejudices before trying to fix my model based ones.
Burke is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feeling devilish and a need for one of the "last" of the Evos... Heavy Fuji Off-Topic 25 03-25-2007 08:51 PM
For all you Septics feeling bad about the state of the US SkirtBoy Off-Topic 15 07-23-2006 02:09 PM
For those who are going to RIM of the World Rally. BuddyChrist Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 10 05-06-2004 03:13 PM
For those of you who miss the n00bs from the days of the STi forum... SkirtBoy Off-Topic 21 04-13-2004 09:24 AM
ANNOUNCEMENT: Closing of the STi Information Forum North Ursalia STi Forum Archive 1 09-16-2003 07:27 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.