Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-25-2003, 08:04 PM   #1
rcpanda
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 22877
Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT
White

Default Clutch Jitters (I know..again!!)

Hi all, some may have read this in another area, but didn't get much of a response, and since this was done on a legacy, hoping that someone else here knows if the work done on my car was correct, thanks.

here is what was done to my car (typing it right off of the invoice).
For my legacy gt 2001 (50,000 kms):

Problem #1) Clutch pedal does not return fully during hot weather conditions.

Cause: Slave cylinder not releasing
S316201 Clutch Operating cylinder R&R
1 30620AA042 CYL
ASSY-CCH OPER
S316211 Clutch Hydraulic Line &/or Gaskets R&R
1 37251AC001 Hose Clutch
2 114130151 Gasket
S316221 Clutch system bleed

Problem #2) Clutch is chattering
S323001 Transaxle assembly R&R
S215201 R&R Flywheel for machining & replaced clutch assy
1 SCI560001 Reman
Clutch assy-1999 Up 2.5
1 SCI541002 Bearing
1 30502AA051 BRG-clutch

SUBL machine flywheel
PO#246318

And here is another thing done (not sure if it was part of the repair of the clutch):
Grease leaking from inner CV Joints
Cause: Leaking grease
S621124 Clean & repacked both front inner CV joints
2 28093TA000 Grease TJ
(was this part done ok? will it lead to any problems in the future?)

Does this work look like what was suppose to be done? I'm actually concerned that the clutch repair was simply replacing it with another stock clutch, and not as per the TSB...so the problem may show up down the road again.

Another issue i am having is that the rear of my car squeaks when going over speed bumps. They removed the sway bar bushings and cleaned and lubricated it, but the noise was still there. When I brought it back, they removed shifter linkage & lubricated stay bushing. I am starting to notice the squeak again, anyone have any ideas?

The dealership also diagnosed a faulty fuel injector, and replaced this. Is it too early for this problem to occur, and what usually leads to this?

Thanks for any help...just want to get everything settled before my warranty expires
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
rcpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 10:36 PM   #2
LisaPhish
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38753
Vehicle:
'02 Legacy GT Wagon
Silver - 5spd!

Have you read this?

Clutch Shudder TSB

Also, if you search back at all my posts in the past several months, you'll see alot of feedback on the clutch probs you're experiencing!

Peace.
Lisa
LisaPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:52 AM   #3
sooberoo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33302
Vehicle:
2005 Leggy GT Sedan
Brilliant Silver

Yup, yup, Subaru manual transmissions are notorious for both the pooched slave cylinder and cold "shuddering" problems. I had my first clutch replaced under warranty (30K miles), then another replacement done off warranty at 80K miles. All work was done by the dealer I purchased the car from. The most recent replacement the dealer paid for parts, I paid the labour (it is off warranty after all).

I don't even know if the TSB applies to CDN cars, it seems to start with 1999 model year cars as well. But Subaru of Canada (and my dealership) obviously are aware of these problems and appear to be fixing these problems.

Just holding on until the release of the new Legacy Turbo. I'm thinking I'll forego the 6 spd manual for the 5 speed manu-matic! I can't wait! In the meantime, I'm driving with great care! Good luck with your car!
sooberoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 12:32 PM   #4
rcpanda
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT
White

Hi, thanks for the info. Yep, I read most of the post and was aware of the TSB. I printed both off (one for the clutch jitters and the one for the clutch not returning properly). But based on the invoice I received from them, it does not indicate if the work was done as per TSB, which is what i'm concerned about. Is there anyway to tell other than asking the dealership? Or will I have to ask them, and get them to show me another invoices that they may have printed for internal purpose.

Thx
Old 10-15-2003, 12:31 PM   #5
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 45296
Default my clutch chatters too...

Hey RCPanda, what dealership did you go to in Calgary?

I just dropped my 2000 GT off at Centuar this morning for Clutch chatter when cold, sticky AC button and a cold engine revving issue.

My car has 58k KM and has full warr until Oct 27/03.

The Service Manager informed me when I dropped the car off that the clutch probably would not be covered under warrenty as it is a ware item. I was unaware that chatter was common problem, however I still disagreed that a chattering clutch at 58k km could be normal wear. He said it was a common problem but subaru only warrents it in lower mileage and not near the end of warrenty. If the previous owner had complained about the problem then it might get covered... Seeing as yours was fixed at 50k km, mine should be covered at 58k...

The cold engine RPM issue I have is when the clutch is disengaged at lower rom (driving down my back alley for example) the engine rpm will hold or increase. It is odd, press in the clutch and the rpm stays a 2k or slowly increase, almost like the pedal is caught on the mat. Then it just goes down.... Service manager had no insite into that problem when the car was dropped off.

Two other issues I did not think much of until now are a squeaky rear suspension on speed bumps and clutch pedal squeeks at the very bottom of travel. I will call and have these looked a too.
85258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 03:47 PM   #6
rcpanda
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT
White

Hi,

very interesting...a lot of similar issues as me, pm if you want to talk more about this.

But...i brought my car and do all my servicing at subaru of calgary. Although I believe Mirage (?) is getting his done at Centuar, so might want to check with him.

1st issue: for the clutch chatter, this was my 2nd time replacing it. First time happened around 20K, they fixed it, problem came back around 48K, and they just did it..so far so good. Funny thing you mentioned was the squeak in the clutch pedal at the end. I had that noise prior to changing my clutch both times. It seems whenever that noise appeared, that was when the issue occurred. Also, the squeaking may have to do with leaking of the CV joint (just a guess on my part, but make sure you get them to test out the squeaking, thats how i got my first replacement done, I got the tech to push the pedal down and he heard the noise). I believe this issue has been handled at both dealership...worse comes to worse..just print off these forums and let them know its been done.

What is this sticky AC button? the airconditioning button? Haven't heard this one yet.

I'm at 53k right now and i'm contemplating extended warranty with all the issues I have had so far...are you thinking about it?

Although the clutch item is a ware item, there is so many issues with it that it is a problem. I printed off the TSB bulletin for the sticky clutch and clutch chatter and brought it in. They came back and said subaru of canada is going to pay for it under warranty, so I can't see why its not the same for you. Try the other dealership if they say no...warranty i believe is transferrable from dealerships. Doesnt' make sense to warranty it only at lower mileage when they obvisously see it as a problem, and they offer a 60K warranty service!!!

Make sure you complain about everything you can before warranty expires..so you have a case when you are out of the date/km.

The squeaky rear suspension....I am still trying to get to the buttom of this. Do a search..lots of items come up. I will be bringing it in for the 3rd time next friday to deal with this. So far they have clean and lubed sway bar bushings, removed shifter linkage and lubricated stay bushing.

Make sure you read this link too:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=426523

Hope that helps a little. Let me know how it turns out.

Randy
Old 10-15-2003, 05:00 PM   #7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 45296
Default thanks

Randy,

The clutch had been replaced by noon today. No word on warranty coverage, but I will fight until it is!

The Air Conditioning button was sticking when it was pushed in. Service Manager said that he had 3 legacys coming today with that problem.

The cold rpm problem was diagnosed as a sticky throttle body/plate. They cleaned the throttel body and are charging me 1hr/$79 as they think it was caused by excess oil from the K&N install (by the previous owner). What pisses me off is that I hate paying for ***** that is easy for me to fix...

They were unable to replicate the suspension sqeaks. I only noticed it on Sunday on some very large/long speed bumps at the IGA in Sherwood park.

I doubt I will get ext warr. My basic warr ends tomorrow, but with 2 years 42k km left on powertrain I am not too worried. Clutch should be covered under this if it happens again. Also I doubt We will own the car for much more than another year as my wife finds the truck to small (babies are small, but require lots of room...).
85258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 07:28 PM   #8
rcpanda
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT
White

About the rear squeaking...I didn't notice it that much today. I think it has to do with the weather condition. You can really hear it on a sunny day right? The noise seems to disappear when it rains or when its cold out...which is really odd. Hope its sunny next friday.

Hope everything went/goes well.

Randy