Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 28, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-06-2003, 10:17 AM   #1
bdoss123
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 19958
Default How much Auto Trans Fluid does the Torque converter hold?

When changing the Automatic Transmission Fluid in the 2.5 GT, how much fluid will try to stay in the Torque Converter? A mechanic that I know recomended emptying the trans, then with the plug still off, go forward/back/forward a couple of times, in order to get some of the fluid out of the torque converter. He is a Ford mechanic, so he told me to ask around before actually trying this on the Legacy. Is there enough fluid retention to worry about? Is this a safe way to get it out? If not, could I just add less ATF during the refill, if so how much satys in the TQ so I know how much to add?

Thanks,
Brendan
bdoss123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2003, 04:14 PM   #2
ws6fiero
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 33067
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy Wagon
Spruce Pearl

Yeah, it holds about 1/2 the capacity. I drained the pain and got 4 quarts. The overall capacity is supposed to be 9 quarts, right? So that would leave 5 quarts in the rest of the transmission.

Personally I would not do the "forward/back a couple times" thing, but that's just me. There are also people who have "flushed" the transmission themselves, but I was a little too worried about getting an air pocket in the transmission. Of course I am also lazy, so that was a factor, too.

You can always just do a few pan changes to get the majority of the fluid. I would really only be worried about it if your fluid looked bad or smelled burnt. Otherwise, you are probably doing a lot more than the average car owner would! (not that that's a bad thing)
ws6fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 04:16 PM   #3
ws6fiero
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy Wagon
Spruce Pearl

P.S. - The transmission drain plug is not an exception to Subaru's So tight we almost stripped it Factory torque policy. At least mine wasn't.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:54 PM   #4
PHATsuby
Scooby Guru

Member#: 13617
Vehicle:
2001 Legacy GT back
to stock is a project too

how much will stay in the TC or the valvebody and TC? i JUST pulled my transmission and i can tell you a lot stays in the valvebody, probably half like fiero said, but when we pulled the TC we prob only got 1/2 a quart at most, although the mechanic was expecting a lot more, but just out of the TC only 1/2.

Ben
PHATsuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 12:18 AM   #5
ws6fiero
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy Wagon
Spruce Pearl

I think that even when you pull it the TC is still relatively well sealed. I have taken them out of other cars and experienced the same thing... only a little bit would come out.

I guess in the end it doesn't matter though. A flush should in theory change all of it.

One thing to note, however, is that all the flushes that I know of use the tranny cooler lines... one line takes in fresh fluid and the other shoots out old fluid. Unfortunately, IIRC, the transmission does not pump all of its fluid through the cooler, so you still end up with a mix of new and old fluid in the end. Come to think of it, I think this is what convinced me to just change the fluid in the pan.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:00 AM   #6
bdoss123
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 19958

Thanks for all of your help. Normally, I wouldn't be messing around with the tranny, but this came as an emergency (long story). Well I ended up draining, and then doing the forward/reverse thing a couple of times, and low an behold another quart or two drained after it had dripped "dry" from the drain plug. In the future, I will have my friend's dad do rutine maintenence to my car, since he runs a service station. Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever over-filled their tranny during a fluid change? What happened?

Thanks,
BDoss
bdoss123 is offline   Reply With Quote