Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-08-2003, 10:44 AM   #1
justlikethat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44934
Default 4AT - I need to make it stronger

guys/gals,

It is my first post so, I apologize in advance if this is an old topic.

I have set up a BAJA for my father as follows:

AVO 2.5L turbo kit
BORLA Header
Modded BORLA Exhaust
lift kit
springs
strut tower brace
rear sway bar
17" wheels
removed all of the lower body cladding and had it painted black
tinted
hard tonneau cover
boost gauge

I am told that we are making between 265 - 280hp at the engine. I need to either strengthen the stock 4AT or replace it with another 4AT - something that can get the power down.

If you have any input about transmissions or if you know of any aftermarket manufacturers that could help - please share some info.

Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
justlikethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 02:05 PM   #2
jimqpublic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38155
Vehicle:
2004 ForesterXT Auto
Silver

Default Re: 4AT - I need to make it stronger

There's a simple but expensive fix.

1. Wait a few months.

2. Remove the following from the car:
Quote:
Originally posted by justlikethat
strut tower brace
rear sway bar
17" wheels
hard tonneau cover
boost gauge
3. Install the parts removed into a 2004 Baja Turbo with VTD/Sportshift 4EAT.

But seriously, the VTD transmission seems like a much better choice for high power applications. The big question is whether the computer in your Baja could handle a VTD trannie out of a Legacy GT or 6 cylinder Outback. If so, start checking the salvage yards. There's one here in the Los Angeles area that specializes in Subarus (World Salvage).
jimqpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:53 PM   #3
justlikethat
Scooby Newbie

jimqpublic,

Thanks for your reply!

I will check into the VTD from one of those two vehicles that you mention and if it fits I'll see if I can get a hold of that salvage yard.

I actually ordered a Turbo BAJA last March but, was the only person in Canada who ordered one so, guess what, Subaru isn't bringing them into the country....that's ok though because I can rest assured that I will for sure have the fastest one up North now eh?!

Thanks again, I'll post back if I get this sorted out.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:38 PM   #4
scoobysnacks89
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6560
Vehicle:
03 Baja
Black

Could you post some pics of that monster when you get it all done. I'd love to see how it looks.
scoobysnacks89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 08:20 PM   #5
jimqpublic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38155
Vehicle:
2004 ForesterXT Auto
Silver

My first reply was obviously partly joking. Replacing the transmission certainly isn't the first thing to do.

You imply that it doesn't "get the power down". Any symptoms?

The Baja has the "Active All Wheel Drive" that uses a clutch to transer power from the predominantly front drive to the rear. normally the clutch doesn't clamp down until some wheelspin is detected. With the gear selector in "1" or "2" the clutch is mostly locked. The TCU or Transmission Control Unit manages the clutch as well as shifting. It would be possible to trick the system into locking the clutch up for drag racing type starts. There was discussion of this (for off-roading) in the Yahoo Forester Group http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruforester

WRX folks with autos like to get their torque converters modified for higher stall speeds. Search nasioc over in the transmission section for links to the vendor that does this mod. I don't know if the TC is different.

Most importantly, transmission temperature is critical. If you haven't done so already, get an auxillary transmission fluid cooler. One with its own fan would be good for drag racing type applications.

Jim
jimqpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 07:38 AM   #6
justlikethat
Scooby Newbie

Jim,

Basically what it feels like is when you step on the throttle, it seems like the transmission doesn't catch for a second (feels to me like its slipping) and then all of a sudden it hooks up.

I've been told that I should look into a transmission cooler (do you know what brand or model would be a good fit for a BAJA?), full-synthetic oil and then (if necessary) upgrade the torque converter.

I will go outside here shortly and try the vehicle in 1st and 2nd gear and see what the effect is.

I apologize that I don't know more about transmissions but, what does a "higher stall speed" mean when you are talking about the torque converter?

Scooby,

I will definitely try to post some pics. I think that you will like the look. It's completely blacked-out with anthracite gray six spoke wheels.

Thanks guys for your interest and help.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:31 AM   #7
dragonglen
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38692
Vehicle:
2003 Baja Sport
Silver

I think I've only seen pics of maybe 2 modified Bajas, not including the Scorpion Lift Kit pics. And I won't be able to mod for a while

Oddly enough though, my Baja was pulling on my buddies stock 00 Civic Si. I have no explanation other than he's a really crappy driver.
dragonglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 07:28 AM   #8
justlikethat
Scooby Newbie

Default picture

dragonglen,

i took a side on pic of the BAJA on the weekend with a digi-cam now how do I post it?

sorry, I'm a newb.

thanks.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:15 AM   #9
scoobysnacks89
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6560
Vehicle:
03 Baja
Black

You'll need to post the pic on a webpage then link to it. If you have any personal webspace provided by your ISP that will do just fine.

Or, if you want to i can host the pic for you. You'd have to e-mail me the pic. I'll get to it when i get home tonite from work. PM me if you want to do this.
scoobysnacks89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:57 PM   #10
justlikethat
Scooby Newbie

Default pics of the BAJA

Not sure if I did this right.

Thanks to Scooby for hosting the pictures.

I would like to hear opinions on how it looks.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2003, 01:22 PM   #11
justlikethat
Scooby Newbie

Default updates

hey guys,

just wanted to post an update. many thanks to everyone for the info.

jimq - the truck definitely seems better a low speeds with the selector in 1 or 2. Also, on the highway at 75mph, if you put the selector in 3 you can accelerate up to around 100mph as fast as you want with absolutely no drama.

We took the vehicle to a transmission shop and their opinion was that the torque converter was not acting as it should.

So, I think that we'll be sending the torque converter to 'ProTorque' in NJ to get modified -- apparently they have set up numerous WRX's and Legacy's.

We are also having a transmission cooler installed and switching to full synthetic fluid.

My next question is: can the stock Subaru transmission control module be modified by a dealership?? Apparently, the LINK ECU covers engine management only and will not over-ride anything in the TCU >>> do you guys even think that this will be necessary once we've made the changes above?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:46 PM   #12
hatake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34811
Vehicle:
04 Baja T
Black

OMG, she is a beautiful thing! That's better than Baja T that's not even out there yet! You did an excellent job. Hope your next project (tq) goes well, too. Thanks for sharing!
hatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 11:07 AM   #13
dragonglen
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38692
Vehicle:
2003 Baja Sport
Silver

Wow, that does look nice. Definitely makes me jealous. Where did you take it to get painted?

Seeing these couple of turo'd Bajas brings a tear to my eyes. I wish I had the money.
dragonglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 12:20 AM   #14
Paisan
Tri-State Track Instructor

Member#: 197
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
'14 Touareg TDI '14
BRZ http://48hrs.info

No need to strengthen it IMHO. An ATF cooler is what you need to get in there. Get the biggest honking unit in Summit Racing, put in an ATF Temp guage.

I run my SVX pushing about 250ish HP and 3600lbs on the track at 5000-7000 rpm for an hour at a time and she runs just fine.

-mike
Paisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 07:15 PM   #15
adhong
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44666
Default Painting the Cladding

so how difficult was it was rip off the cladding and paint it black? i have an 03 outback, and the paint on the cladding sucks big time. i want to just take off the cladding and the rest of the titanium colored bumpers and paint them all black.
adhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 03:42 PM   #16
justlikethat
Scooby Newbie

I actually had a local paint shop do it and they told me that it was very easy.

Get your Subie dealer to remove the cladding (they'll ensure that nothing gets damaged) - get it to the paint shop - get them re-installed and you are back in business.

no sweat.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:44 PM   #17
justlikethat
Scooby Newbie

By the way,

My torque converter is coming back from ProTorque tomorrow, we have installed a transmission cooler from a local outfit and have switched to full synthetic.........cross your fingers.....

cheers.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:37 PM   #18
dave_t
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 48729
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2002 legacy wagon
black

justlikethat, now you say you have this tuned for your dad can i ask where you live? because there is a guy who works with my mom who drives a silver wrx who's dad has an all black baja with a turbo and i cant imagine there's more than one, it's an amazing car/truck if its the one i'm thinking of they say it's here in pei almost every weekend but i havent seen it in person yet

Last edited by dave_t; 11-17-2003 at 10:51 PM.
dave_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 03:58 PM   #19
FaastLegacy
Scooby Guru

Member#: 11671
Chapter/Region: SWIC

Those wheels don't look right on a Baja with a lift. They don't fill the wheel wells enough.

-faast
FaastLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:09 PM   #20
dave_t
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 legacy wagon
black

the rims are awsome but big tires would look good
Old 11-29-2003, 11:05 PM   #21
justlikethat
Scooby Newbie

Hi Dave T,

We actually live in Halifax and I drive a silver STI.

The BAJA is on PEI pretty well every weekend, we have a cottage over there.

Are you in Charlottetown?
Old 11-30-2003, 03:10 PM   #22
dave_t
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 legacy wagon
black

ya i live right in charlottetown my dad is one of the two subaru salesmen here do you have a brother or someone who works in the national park that drives i think it's around an '02 wrx thats silver?
Old 11-30-2003, 07:52 PM   #23
justlikethat
Scooby Newbie

hi dave,

yeah, brother in law, works for the gov't, drives an silver impreza ts? rs? wagon.

he lives in ch'town.