Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-11-2003, 09:13 AM   #1
shoooter_j
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39411
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
WRB

Default Proper wiring connection for 9007 HID's

Before I state the problem, I'd let you know that I have a MY02 WRX (nothing beats reading a problem and not knowing the MY lol)

The only combination I found that works upon the ballast connection with the stock connector (if the stock connector is positioned the way it is when you connect stock bulbs, which is flat side up) - I'm using the middle wire of the stock connector (red/blue striped) for the ballast ground, and the right wire (red/yellow striped) for the ballast positive.

This results in the highbeam light on the dash light to light up all the time. The HID's are on ALL the time, no matter which position the headlight switch is.

I tried disconnecting the DRL's - to no avail, as I think I'm always in highbeam mode. Another indication of this were that my fogs don't work anymore.

Again, I've tried all combinations of the two wires in the 3 slots, and this is the only one that works. Any ideas?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
shoooter_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 09:22 AM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
05 GTO/11 Sonata(!)

Here is the correct breakdown for the factory headlight wiring-

The Subaru headlight system is common positive, switched ground. The wiring of the headlight connectors in the car is as follows-
Driver side- common positive = red/light blue (center terminal on connector)
low beam switched ground = yellow/red
high beam switched ground = red

Passenger side- common positive = light blue/white
low beam switched ground = yellow/red
high beam switched ground = red

Note that the red/blue is actually the common positive and not a ground.
Here is what I suggest you do with your HIDs-
Connect the ballast negatives to a direct ground, either the chassis or battery negative. Do not use the low beam switched grounds any more.
The ballast positives can go to the headlight common power. Alternately you can use a relay and get power from the battery but it isn't absolutely necessary as long as you have the direct ground.
Your DRLs should be disabled completely by disconnecting the control module by the glovebox. If you just unplugged the resistor module under the hood you did NOT fully disable them.
If after doing the above your fog lights still don't work you will have to do the wiring modification to make the fog light operation independent of the headlights. The switching circuitry for the fogs may depend on the original bulbs being in place so you'd have to bypass it.
PM me if you have any more questions.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2003, 09:45 AM   #3
shoooter_j
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
WRB

Mulder - thx a lot, you were most helpful!

The way I see it is that the person I bought the kit off (or whomever connected the wiring to the harness that plugs into the ballast) switched colours on me (used black for +'ve, white for -'ve). The reason for this is because the way I have it right now, its visually connected in reverse to what you are saying.

When I tried doing it the correct way (from the information you provided), the HID's didn't light up.

As for the DRL's, thx for the info! No wonder why it didn't work, damn resistor module.

I did the foglight mod yesterday, forgot to mention that, and all is good now with them at least.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:10 AM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
05 GTO/11 Sonata(!)

Ok, just be careful with reversing the polarity on the ballasts. They may just not work if connected backwards or they may be damaged. If you're sure you have properly identified the positive and negative wires then go with that.
Disable the DRLs for real, do the rest of the wiring as I suggested and you should be good to go.
Regardless of how these kits are promoted and described, no HID install should be done as a "plug and play" into the factory headlight connectors. The stock ground system can't handle the HIDs.
Good luck and let me know if you need any more help.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:57 AM   #5
shoooter_j
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
WRB

Just got rid of the DRL's once and for all (and properly this time). Thx again for the help Mulder!

As for proper chassis/battery grounds, I was told by a respected ex-wrx owner in our club (his experience was probably based on Catz HID in EDM STi projectors - his setup at the time) to not ground the ballast if it was composed of metal...

quote: "Very important of not grounding the ballast if the ballast are metal. That would also create a problem since the headlight system works on a common positive."
Old 10-11-2003, 11:44 AM   #6
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
05 GTO/11 Sonata(!)

They were referring to not connecting the metal case of the ballast to ground or chassis. This has nothing to do with the positive and negative power leads into the ballast which is what I was referring to. Depending on the particular ballast it's possible there may be problems if the case is grounded so just be sure to insulate it somehow and this isn't an issue.
The negative power lead should definitely be grounded for best results.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:48 AM   #7
shoooter_j
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
WRB

Thanx again, and you da man - definetely derserve a banana for all your help!