Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
Garandman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101117
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2009 WRX, 06 OBW 3.0
Tiger 1050, WR250R, TW200

Default Russian Winter Tire test

http://www.autoreview.ru/_archive/se...ECTION_ID=7441

Pretty interesting as they test in a wide range of conditions from +9 C. (48 F) down to -17 C. (2 F.)

The conversion is decipherable except for the graphics, so you have to go into the text to see what each table is.

The "Big Names" in winter tires are present but some of the models tested are different than what is sold in the US.

The prices are pretty shocking: they quote 25,000 Rubles (around $450) for a 16 inch Nokian R2 that is well under $200 here. And those tires are made in - Russia.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #2
krzyss
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8365
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Massachusetts
Vehicle:
2013 Ford Focus SE
Black

Default

Not sure how old is the article but ruble lost big chunk of value in last 12 months.
But hey they have Crimea, for now.

Krzys
krzyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Pretty interesting as they test in a wide range of conditions from +9 C. (48 F) down to -17 C. (2 F.)
that isn't really winter....that's early fall to late fall

2F is a heat wave in many places in the winter
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
Garandman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101117
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2009 WRX, 06 OBW 3.0
Tiger 1050, WR250R, TW200

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
that isn't really winter....that's early fall to late fall

2F is a heat wave in many places in the winter
While ignorance is universal.....
Garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:31 PM   #5
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
While ignorance is universal.....
yeah....it sure is nice when idiots post stupid ****

that temp range is what you would expect an all season tire to do well in

not a true winter tire

many GOOD winter tires don't do well at all over ~32F

many people don't know that
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:46 PM   #6
geeman789
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330690
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2011 2.5 HB
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
...The prices are pretty shocking: they quote 25,000 Rubles (around $450) for a 16 inch Nokian R2 that is well under $200 here. And those tires are made in - Russia.
Many European retailers post a "per set of 4 ... " price... not sure if that's the case here...

And NOKIAN has cut staff and production, as sales in Russia have been poor... pricing too high...?

I know Bridgestone cut prices in Canada last year... Blizzak WS-80's are relatively cheap in many sizes...
geeman789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Garandman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101117
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2009 WRX, 06 OBW 3.0
Tiger 1050, WR250R, TW200

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
yeah....it sure is nice when idiots post stupid ****

that temp range is what you would expect an all season tire to do well in

not a true winter tire

many GOOD winter tires don't do well at all over ~32F

many people don't know that
So what is your first-hand experience with winter tires and cold temperatures?
Garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #8
Strex
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 400973
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Calgary Alberta
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Sport
Galaxy Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
http://www.autoreview.ru/_archive/se...ECTION_ID=7441

Pretty interesting as they test in a wide range of conditions from +9 C. (48 F) down to -17 C. (2 F.)

The conversion is decipherable except for the graphics, so you have to go into the text to see what each table is.

The "Big Names" in winter tires are present but some of the models tested are different than what is sold in the US.

The prices are pretty shocking: they quote 25,000 Rubles (around $450) for a 16 inch Nokian R2 that is well under $200 here. And those tires are made in - Russia.
Intersting. Where I live the temperature changes can be crazy. It will be -25c for a week and then +10c for a few days. It's called a Chinook and it can get really warm. It leads to quickly changing and very challenging driving conditions. Snow and hardpack to ice, slush and puddles - the temperature plummets and BAM! Solid ice everywhere. I am not joking when I say I have seen intersections you could skate on. Then it snows the next day on top of it all.

I have only used Michelin X-ice in the past. This year I bought the R2s for my new WRX. I'm very happy with them so far, particularly their deep snow performance. I've had snow flying up over my hood hardpack traction is unreal and they recover quickly on ice. Wet performance in warmer temps seems to be the weak spot but still very good, more than acceptable. I've never run the Michelins on this car so I can't compare directly but I feel they blow them out of the ..... snow? har har

I paid $310 CAD per tire. That's installed, balanced and out the door. I looked at the X-ice 3 and WS80, both cheaper and available at Costco where I'd prefer to buy. After research I really wanted to try the Nokian. I was so happy in fact I also bought my wife the R2 SUV for her Mitsubishi Outlander. Got a great deal on those because of buying the other set the week before.
Strex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:35 AM   #9
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
So what is your first-hand experience with winter tires and cold temperatures?

research LOTS.....buy wisely

there are many 'winter' issues that encompass many conditions

buy the tire that suits your expected conditions

some people really need 3 sets of tires...summer--AS.... and 'winter' if they are really performance oriented and have the climate that warrants it

and I have traveled all over north America in all seasons and I hate winter when I cant leave it when I want to

and tires that work fine above 5F may not work well below that

and below -30F or so...it wont really matter as they are all hard as rock

and.....
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #10
Garandman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101117
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2009 WRX, 06 OBW 3.0
Tiger 1050, WR250R, TW200

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
research LOTS.....buy wisely

there are many 'winter' issues that encompass many conditions

buy the tire that suits your expected conditions

some people really need 3 sets of tires...summer--AS.... and 'winter' if they are really performance oriented and have the climate that warrants it

and I have traveled all over north America in all seasons and I hate winter when I cant leave it when I want to

and tires that work fine above 5F may not work well below that

and below -30F or so...it wont really matter as they are all hard as rock

and.....
Ah -exactly what I thought: zero.

Carry on.
Garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:42 AM   #11
wrxnh
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 393998
Join Date: Jun 2014
Vehicle:
/// WRx ///

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
research LOTS.....buy wisely

there are many 'winter' issues that encompass many conditions

buy the tire that suits your expected conditions

some people really need 3 sets of tires...summer--AS.... and 'winter' if they are really performance oriented and have the climate that warrants it

and I have traveled all over north America in all seasons and I hate winter when I cant leave it when I want to

and tires that work fine above 5F may not work well below that

and below -30F or so...it wont really matter as they are all hard as rock

and.....
Thank God someone mentioned this. It's goes for any tires...on a car, bicycle, motorcycle...too many variables to consider aside from the tires themselves.

<- says someone who hasn't put his winters on yet driving on summers rofl
wrxnh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
Ah -exactly what I thought: zero.

Carry on.


it doent take a Russian rocket scientist to make Russian winter tires



and your thread is still only kinda relevant..we don't get Russian snow over here so it wont matter
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #13
Quackerbacker
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 402043
Join Date: Sep 2014
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: IC, IA
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
that isn't really winter....that's early fall to late fall

2F is a heat wave in many places in the winter
Coldest average winter temp for major US cities is 19 in Minnesota.
What kind of winter tires do you run?
Quackerbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #14
geeman789
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 330690
Join Date: Aug 2012
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Canada
Vehicle:
2011 2.5 HB
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
it doent take a Russian rocket scientist to make Russian winter tires and your thread is still only kinda relevant..we don't get Russian snow over here so it wont matter
We don't get "Russian snow..." ? Where I live, 2 weeks ago it was -5 * F , with 12-18 inches of snow...

Is that better or worse than that "Russian..." stuff....?

And this week it was PLUS 45 * F ... a 50 * F range... ! Kills the roads, though...
geeman789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #15
SubLGT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 207528
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Idaho
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT

Default

Russian snow is 20% vodka.
SubLGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #16
tibug
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 273906
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: deRpression hurts
Vehicle:
2003 brokeback
wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubLGT View Post
Russian snow is 20% vodka.
How does that affect traction?
tibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:21 PM   #17
Garandman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101117
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2009 WRX, 06 OBW 3.0
Tiger 1050, WR250R, TW200

Default

Some tires were affected more than others. We currently have Nokian Hakkappeliita R's, R2's, Blizzak WS80, and Altimax Arctic on different cars but I'm not surprised the R2 did so well: it's a remarkable tire.
Garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #18
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 120
Join Date: Jul 1999
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Where the Navy sends me...
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
that isn't really winter....that's early fall to late fall

2F is a heat wave in many places in the winter
Yes, like Umiat, AK, which is about 170mi north of the Arctic Circle. About 97.3% of NASIOC members live with 25mi of Umiat, so it's good that you raised this point, Scott.

Seriously, where are these "many places" you are talking about? Even the tropical paradise of Bismarck, ND, has average highs in the mid 20s and average lows in the single digits during the winter months. Last year in the winter months there were multiple days up into the 40s in Bismarck. The number of folks on this website who live in areas colder than that has got to be pretty miniscule, so it seems to me that the article Garandman posted is applicable to the vast majority of members on this site that actually see winter weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
that temp range is what you would expect an all season tire to do well in
Seriously? You think all-season tires are optimized for temps that low?
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/safetyBelow45.do
http://www.dunloptires.com/en-US/tir...g-winter-tires
http://www.continentaltire.com/www/t...coming_en.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
many GOOD winter tires don't do well at all over ~32F

many people don't know that
Perhaps many people don't know that because it isn't true?
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:27 AM   #19
tibug
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 273906
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: deRpression hurts
Vehicle:
2003 brokeback
wagon

Default

Ah sometimes Scotty reminds me of Carl Spackler.

Like manganese. A lot of people don't even know what that is.

Except manganese is true.
tibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:23 AM   #20
vicious_fishes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 GD w/EZ30D swap

Default

i hope scotty & pat meet IRL one day. the threads are always a pisser.
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:53 AM   #21
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

pat is a great d0000000000d....no....really
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:55 AM   #22
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
Yes, like Umiat, AK, which is about 170mi north of the Arctic Circle. About 97.3% of NASIOC members live with 25mi of Umiat, so it's good that you raised this point, Scott.

Seriously, where are these "many places" you are talking about? Even the tropical paradise of Bismarck, ND, has average highs in the mid 20s and average lows in the single digits during the winter months. Last year in the winter months there were multiple days up into the 40s in Bismarck. The number of folks on this website who live in areas colder than that has got to be pretty miniscule, so it seems to me that the article Garandman posted is applicable to the vast majority of members on this site that actually see winter weather.


Seriously? You think all-season tires are optimized for temps that low?
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/safetyBelow45.do
http://www.dunloptires.com/en-US/tir...g-winter-tires
http://www.continentaltire.com/www/t...coming_en.html


Perhaps many people don't know that because it isn't true?
oh...it IS true

you drive some real snow tires on the highway at 40F and they will disappear in a thousand miles or less

and maybe you didn't really READ......or was it didn't UNDERSTAND what I posted

sounds like it

just because a manufacturer makes a claim does not make it true, either

and don't you know that we are in the midst of global warming and its warmer now that it used to be

last time I was in Minot for a month it never got above ~2F and that was a warm day

****....4 or 5 years ago we had 100+ days in a row that it didn't hit 80F in florida that winter

it froze all the way down to Miami a couple times.....my rsr's were

just fine

Last edited by Uncle Scotty; 12-14-2014 at 04:02 AM.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #23
tibug
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 273906
Join Date: Feb 2011
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: deRpression hurts
Vehicle:
2003 brokeback
wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
oh...it IS true

you drive some real snow tires on the highway at 40F and they will disappear in a thousand miles or less
Which snow tires are those? I've had my I-pikes on for a few years and they've seen quite a lot of warm weather driving. I put them on when average temps are still hovering around 45 degrees and I don't take them off until the next year at about the same temps. And we sometimes have "heat waves" in the winter here in CT when it gets up to 60 degrees or more. They haven't disappeared yet. So what are real snow tires?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
just because a manufacturer makes a claim does not make it true, either
You're always saying that people should call manufacturers/resellers and get their advice. You refer people to Luke@tirerack. By the way, tirerack says to put winter tires on at around 40 degrees average temp as well. I think Luke would probably say the same thing. You are literally implying that it's not true.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
it froze all the way down to Miami a couple times.....my rsr's were

just fine
And how much snow was there?
tibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #24
Garandman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101117
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Boston
Vehicle:
2009 WRX, 06 OBW 3.0
Tiger 1050, WR250R, TW200

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
oh...it IS true

you drive some real snow tires on the highway at 40F and they will disappear in a thousand miles or less
We have a fleet of company cars / light trucks that we have operated since 2005. They are driven throughout New England, where yearly snowfall ranges from 40-200" and winter temps range from 50 down to -25.

So I can say based on a couple million miles of experience: you do not know what you are talking about. At all. Go away.
Garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #25
vicious_fishes
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 158864
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Aussieland
Vehicle:
2003 GD w/EZ30D swap

Default

oh boy. this next post is gonna be goooooooood
vicious_fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.