Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 24, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-13-2003, 08:39 PM   #1
Drough
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37152
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza 2.5RS
San Remo Red

Question Hella 500 install question

Hi!

I am trying to install my Hella 500 so that they will turn on and off with the highbeams (no switch). Normally, I would trigger the relay using a wire going to the highbeams. My problem is that the measured voltage at the two wires is the following:

Highbeams OFF = 12v (wire1), 12v (wire2)
Highbeams ON = 12v (wire1), 0v (wire2)

If I tap wire2, than the normally open relay triggers only when the highbeams are OFF (the opposite of what I need). Tapping wire1 obviously does not trigger the relay.

I tried using a normally close relay... The Hella do turn on and off with the highbeams when tapped to wire2, but the problem is that when I turn off the car (and take out the keys) then the Hella are ON... Tapping wire1 with this relay is useless...

Any ideas?

Drough
Drough is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2003, 04:28 AM   #2
minix42@
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 548
Vehicle:
'98 Impreza RS
dinged up faded black

Default wire 3?

sounds like you need wire3... you're sure you have the + and - the right way? mine was easy to hook up. Stick with a normally open relay. There are three wires going to the h4 headlights. No specific order, but #1 is ground, #2 is + low beam, and #3 is + high beam. It sounds like you have the right idea, I don't know what's going on though. After I post this I'll go back and see if it says what year your car is. ...maybe we can just tell you what color to go with.
minix42@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:09 AM   #3
minix42@
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
'98 Impreza RS
dinged up faded black

wow... 2004. *cough* *cough* (jealous mumbling... ) *cough* well so much for that idea.

don't know if it'll help or not, but on MY '98 they use: red, red w/ blue stripe, and yellow w/ blue stripe. The Yellow w/ blue stripe is the one you need. Maybe they at least kept it the odd man out (aka: different color)

good luck. If it were me, I'd check voltage from the positive terminal of the battery and the one headlight unplugged. You should only get 12v on one wire (hopefully) with either the high or low beams on. That's the ground. Now it's a matter of finding out which of the other two is the high beam. (sorry if this seems obvious, you never know) Check the voltage from the negitive battery terminal to each wire to see which is 12v when the high beams are on. This is the wire you need to hook your relay to.

Just to restate the obvious.... the relay should be wired with the coil (usually terminals 85 & 86) to ground and the high beam wire respectively, the supply (usually terminal 30) with a fuse going to the positive terminal of the battery, and the output (usually 30) to the lights.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:26 AM   #4
Drough
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37152
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza 2.5RS
San Remo Red

Default Hella install

minix42@,

Sorry, yeah, the car is a MY04.... The highbeams are now seperated from the lowbeams, which means I have 2 wires going to the lowbeams, and another 2 going to the highbeams.

As mentionned in my earlier post, I did measure the voltage between the battery and the unplugged highbeam. The electrical system is reversed. One wire goes to ground to turn ON the highbeams, while the two wires are alive when the highbeams are off.

When the highbeams are ON, the wire which is alive (12v) also has 12v if I turn them OFF...

I need to reverse this whole thing! Arrghh!

Thanks.
Drough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 04:41 AM   #5
minix42@
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
'98 Impreza RS
dinged up faded black

No, you're still fine... You don't need anything big, you can just wire up the relay differently. Wire it with fused +12v from the battery to terminals 85 and 30, the highbeam switched ground to 86, and 87 to the hellas + terminal.

relays aren't picky. You're just using a negitive trigger to turn it on rather than a positive.

lemme know if you need further explanation....

mike