Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2003, 07:58 PM   #1
03WRXMA
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 35081
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

Default Remote turn on wire for Basslink, where to tap it?

Where from the stock HU should I tap the remote turn on lead for the Basslink? Thanks in advance.


-Dave
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
03WRXMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:09 PM   #2
paul25RS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 42209
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2004 2.5RS
SQC #158 Silver

Default

if you are using the stock HU, then u are probably using speaker level inputs meaning you do not need a remote lead.
paul25RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:18 PM   #3
03WRXMA
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 35081
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by paul25RS
if you are using the stock HU, then u are probably using speaker level inputs meaning you do not need a remote lead.

How about when using an LOC?

Thanks!
03WRXMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 10:20 PM   #4
paul25RS
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 42209
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Vehicle:
2004 2.5RS
SQC #158 Silver

Default

hmm. when using a line out converter, i guess you could use the wire for the power antenna? im not 100% sure about this one but it should work.
paul25RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 10:31 PM   #5
Brad B.
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10292
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dearborn, MI
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Silver

Default

Wouldn't you be better off NOT using a LOC? I mean, if you are going to convert to Line Level, why not do it as late as possible. Speaker level won't pick up any noise. Are you also hooking up an external amp?
Brad B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 12:57 PM   #6
03WRXMA
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 35081
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad B.
Wouldn't you be better off NOT using a LOC? I mean, if you are going to convert to Line Level, why not do it as late as possible. Speaker level won't pick up any noise. Are you also hooking up an external amp?
I am only using the Basslink's internal amp.

After reading many threads, it seems the general consensus is use of a LOC improves the sound of the basslink.

I will link to some threads later and you can tell me what you think about it.

Thanks!

-Dave
03WRXMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 02:43 PM   #7
strohausii
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 26770
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tampa
Vehicle:
'02 WRX
midnight black

Default

you don't need a remote turn on, you will if you get a LOC w/ interconnecting rcas. On the panel for the Basslink is a switch for auto on/off, that is used with speaker wires. It is supposed to turn off after 5 minutes, until then, it's just idle on. I have not used this function, but some people have problems with it not shutting off tho.
strohausii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 02:45 PM   #8
strohausii
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 26770
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tampa
Vehicle:
'02 WRX
midnight black

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad B.
Wouldn't you be better off NOT using a LOC? I mean, if you are going to convert to Line Level, why not do it as late as possible. Speaker level won't pick up any noise. Are you also hooking up an external amp?
is this true? i always thought it would be better to tap as close to the source as possible (i don't know the difference although what you said does make alotta sense).
strohausii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:56 PM   #9
03WRXMA
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 35081
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by strohausii
is this true? i always thought it would be better to tap as close to the source as possible (i don't know the difference although what you said does make alotta sense).
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...light=Basslink

Above is a link from a guy with a Basslink who tried the speaker level inputs, then switched to the LOC...

Enjoy!

-Dave
03WRXMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 04:57 PM   #10
Brad B.
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10292
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dearborn, MI
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Silver

Default

I havn't read those other threads, but for the basslink to amplify your speaker level inputs, it needs to convert them to Line Level first. Line level is more likely to pick up noise (from other electronics in your car) especially if it's a long run (as in running from the front of you car to the rear). Most home audio guys would balk at the thought of a RCA cable longer than 6 feet! That is why you have to be careful where you run your RCAs in a traditional car audio install but you can run your speaker level wires anywhere you'd like.

So, it would seem better to let the basslink do the converting because it would be done the moment before it was amplified. The only reason I can see not to do this is if the aftermarket line level convertor was of superior quality AND you were very careful where you ran you RCA's AND you bought high quality RCA wires.

Again, I did not read the other treads, so maybe there is some other factor here that I'm not aware of (such as the Basslink convertor being a bad design).
Brad B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2003, 05:05 PM   #11
03WRXMA
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 35081
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad B.
I havn't read those other threads, but for the basslink to amplify your speaker level inputs, it needs to convert them to Line Level first. Line level is more likely to pick up noise (from other electronics in your car) especially if it's a long run (as in running from the front of you car to the rear). Most home audio guys would balk at the thought of a RCA cable longer than 6 feet! That is why you have to be careful where you run your RCAs in a traditional car audio install but you can run your speaker level wires anywhere you'd like.

So, it would seem better to let the basslink do the converting because it would be done the moment before it was amplified. The only reason I can see not to do this is if the aftermarket line level convertor was of superior quality AND you were very careful where you ran you RCA's AND you bought high quality RCA wires.

Again, I did not read the other treads, so maybe there is some other factor here that I'm not aware of (such as the Basslink convertor being a bad design).
Good info, but PLEASE read the above thread (linked) its very short and compares a before LOC to an after LOC install with the Basslink.

Cheers!

-Dave
03WRXMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:39 PM   #12
Brad B.
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10292
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dearborn, MI
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Silver

Default

Dave, that thread IS very short! It's one post by one guy. But I'm not doubting his results. Like I said, my Basslink is not hooked up via speaker level connectors, so I can only guess. I would send that guy a PM and ask him.
Brad B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 05:46 PM   #13
03WRXMA
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 35081
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad B.
Dave, that thread IS very short! It's one post by one guy. But I'm not doubting his results. Like I said, my Basslink is not hooked up via speaker level connectors, so I can only guess. I would send that guy a PM and ask him.
Thanks for taking a look!

So you DO use a LOC?

-Dave
03WRXMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 07:26 PM   #14
Brad B.
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10292
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Dearborn, MI
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Silver

Default

I'm using an aftermarket headunit with RCA outputs built in.
Brad B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 08:07 PM   #15
03WRXMA
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 35081
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2012 WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad B.
I'm using an aftermarket headunit with RCA outputs built in.
Doh! The only other option

Long day, still at work...... -Dave
03WRXMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remote turn-on wire and stock HU markadopolus Car Audio, Video & Security 3 06-03-2006 05:40 AM
How to check HU remote turn on wire? flyingmachine Car Audio, Video & Security 8 02-15-2005 05:36 PM
Remote turn-on wire Glamdring Car Audio, Video & Security 9 04-28-2004 06:25 AM
Stupid question... remote turn on wire... Si2WRX Car Audio, Video & Security 9 11-26-2003 04:48 PM
remote turn-on wire to stock wrx HU question garie Car Audio, Video & Security 5 08-01-2003 11:37 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.