Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 5, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-17-2003, 04:37 AM   #1
StewedSquirrel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 48509
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza OBS
Red/Grey

Default Brighter headlights? (my new driving lights w/ pics)

Help a newbie out here...

I've never replaced my headlight bulbs with anything other than factory stock dim-as-all-hell bulbs.

How far can I go on a 1998 Impreza with just a $20 bulb replacement? Halogen? Xenon? Do I need new wiring for these or will a comparable wattage Halogen be brighter without too much hassle in replacing the whole assembly and/or wiring??

Help is much appreciated.

I just installed some driving lights in favor of looking for a pair of factory fog lights. Cost me $30+ about 3 hours of dremeling, drilling and fiddling. :-) They're quite a bit brighter than my headlights. :-)

Thanks,
Eric
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
StewedSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:58 AM   #2
Hank3
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16157
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
'03 Mazda P5 <><
'02 WRX & '08 MS3 SOLD!!!

Certainly bright
Hank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 03:54 PM   #3
I_smoke_hondas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 47755
Thumbs up I like...

I run silverstars in my impreza- I'm assuming you have H4 bulbs in which they are a direct replacement. Hardest part about changing the bulbs is taking out the battery (to access behind drivers side lamp) About $50 for a pair at any local Checker or whatever. Very much brighter and almost pure white. Some say it is a "poser" look for a cheap HID imitation but the difference is worth it from drivers perspective alone (just changed to some Xenons, very disappointed will put Sstars back ASAP!)

Where'd you get those lights?? I think them's HOT!

Let me know where to pick up a set since my bumper still has the blanks screaming for something to go there..and I think we have a winner.

-AT
I_smoke_hondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 06:25 PM   #4
StewedSquirrel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Impreza OBS
Red/Grey

Can I assume the H4 is the factory bulb? If so, what do I need to look for (say, something printed on a box) to know that the bulbs are compatable with my headlights.

Thanks for the help.

Eric
Old 11-17-2003, 07:17 PM   #5
I_smoke_hondas
Scooby Newbie

Hey don't leave me hangin....Where'd you find those lights?? I'm tryin to help ya out man, the least you can do is return the favor-

Yes, that is what size the FACTORY bulbs are- H4, AKA 9003 (sometimes 9003/s) is what is printed on the Silverstar packaging and most others, usually 9003 but some will say both they are the exact same thing...

-AT
Old 11-17-2003, 07:57 PM   #6
StewedSquirrel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Impreza OBS
Red/Grey

Heh, sorry. I replied from work. Just got home to check the box and get you the make...

They're "CyberWhite" Navigator NV-538W

They were (I think) $34.99 at Pep Boys. Includes wiring harness, relay, two way switch, lights and mounting hardware.

They're 60W halogen w/ 5W blue acccent rings, 3 1/2" round. It was a tight fit inside the factory foglamp recess cover, but I squeezed them in (with some persuasion from the dremel). They look good in daylight but look GREAT in the dark. :-)

And thanks for the info on the lights.

Eric
Old 11-17-2003, 08:00 PM   #7
StewedSquirrel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Impreza OBS
Red/Grey

Is 9004 different from 9003? I found some SilverStar lamps labelled 9004....

Don't want to get the wrong deal. :-)

Eric
Old 11-17-2003, 09:01 PM   #8
I_smoke_hondas
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation DIFFERENT

All 9000 series numbers are different- 9001-9007 are all different types of mounts/bulbs. We need 9003s but check any local parts store and they can look all that stuff up too. I would just want you to make sure b/c, even though I believe you have the same bulbs as my Impreza, Subaru changed a lot of things over the years but I'm pretty sure that they remained the same. Good luck, and thanks for showin me the light cause I like 'em a lot...
BTW- is the blue ring always on or switched?? Have fun

-AT
Old 11-17-2003, 09:04 PM   #9
I_smoke_hondas
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by StewedSquirrel
....Includes wiring harness, relay, two way switch, lights and mounting hardware.....
-Nevermind, guess with the two way switch you can turn both on and off....
Old 11-18-2003, 01:52 AM   #10
StewedSquirrel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1998 Impreza OBS
Red/Grey

The two way switch has 3 positions... "blue", "off" and "halogen"

I don't know for sure if the blue stays on while the halogens are lit... they're too bright to tell. :-) I think they do stay lit... but it's not apparent.

I have to remind myself to turn them off... I keep forgetting and see the blue lights out my window an hour after i've come inside. :-P