Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 9, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-17-2003, 02:19 AM   #1
hacman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3603
Default MY98 Repair/Replace Bottom End: Options

so here's the deal. i blew the bottom end of my motor back in july. MY98 Phase I, minimal mods. We've been having a heck of a time finding a good motor to just do a full swap, so i'm trying other avenues.

Let me know what's right, what's wrong, etc:

Phase II Bottom end will fit up.
MY98 Forester GT is the same motor.
MY96 - MY99 Legacy GT has the same motor.
Cobb Tuning bottom end.

What have i missed? Anyone know of anywhere i could find a good complete motor? Been trying car-parts.com, not finding the answers i want.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
hacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 01:19 PM   #2
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

It really depends on what your end goal is. FYI, all Legacy, Forester and RS 2.5l engines will work. The only differences are going to be if they are phase I (96-98) or phase II(99-current). So if you can find a cheap bottom end, you can use any of them.
If you are looking to make more power than say 230-250Chp, it would be a good idea to go beefier than stock.
1. Cobb is an option
2. TWE is an option
3. EJ257 STi block switching over to NA pistons is an option (or if you are building an RS-T leave the stock pistons.

Complete EJ25's run as high as $2000 from what I have seen. But good deals can be found if you shop around. But what is your end goal with this engine? More info makes it easier to offer advice...
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 01:21 PM   #3
Snagtastic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 43809

It depends on what you want.

If your heads are fine, you can get a shortblock from Cobb or another company for slightly more than $1,000 that is even better than stock.

If your bent on getting a Phase II EJ25 you are up for some serious wiring as my friend just had one installed on his 98 2.5 RS.

What kind of build are you going to do? Or do you just want the motor back how it was prior to blowing so you can do small bolt ons?
Snagtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 01:31 PM   #4
hacman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3603

at this point, i'm just looking to go back to stock the easiest way possible. Problem was that we couldn't find any motors out there that didn't require any work outside of swapping it.

But i just talked to them at the shop after bring down 12 pages of motors i've found on my own (Impreza, Legacy, Forester). They're haggling out the price on it now with the Junkyard, and it should be en route from Lexington KY within 24 hours!

Don't know what the final price of the motor was, but my overall price looks like it's gonna come in under $3500.

Motor is from a 98 Impreza RS with 43K on the clock.

Warranty is (as of right now) 90 days parts (working on labor).

Considering i haven't started her up since July 5th, and the vehicles i've been driving are ****, i'm stoked!!
hacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:47 PM   #5
8Complex

Member#: 922
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
04 FXT
Red

Any EJ series motor (shortblock) will bolt up to your heads without any problem. No matter the phase. The only difference is in compression, and even if you put a higher compression motor in, you may just get a little better performance, and may need to run 89 octane fuel instead of 87.
8Complex is offline   Reply With Quote