Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club
Mid Atlantic Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Annapolis Subaru
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2003, 06:15 PM   #1
Anonymouse20910
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 29019
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Clarksburg, MD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX STi
DGM

Default Any Good Tire/Wheel Mounting Shops in DC Metro Area?

Folks:

Just went to Walmart to have some tires mounted to my new Rota SDR wheels. I know...shoot me. Anyways, they f'd up one rim and couldn't mount the tires. Yeah yeah, shoot me again.

Can anyone recommend a good shop in the DC Metro area that can mount my tires on to my rims and balance them? (without scratching them)

Thanks in advance.

Anonymouse20910 (A lil bit pissed)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Anonymouse20910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 06:45 PM   #2
ButtDyno
Street's closed, pizza boy
 
Member#: 17301
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Why do they always say the Evo
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Default

Ye Olde Wheel Shop.
6363 Washington Blvd.
Elkridge, MD

They refinished my V7 wheels after they got scratched shipping, and then fixed one of them after NTB scratched it mounting a tire. They will not eff up your wheels. The only downside is that they're expensive and that they are in Elkridge (dunno where you live)

Walmart should pay for the refinishing if they scratched it. NTB did.

If Silver Spring is closer, take it to Radial Tire. They too have proven they can mount a tire without f'ing up the finish

-john
ButtDyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 06:59 PM   #3
Anonymouse20910
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 29019
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Clarksburg, MD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX STi
DGM

Default

ButtDyno,

Thanks for the helpful info! I'm out in Germantown, but work in College Park. I might check out Radial Tire tomorrow.


Quote:
Originally posted by ButtDyno
Ye Olde Wheel Shop.
6363 Washington Blvd.
Elkridge, MD

They refinished my V7 wheels after they got scratched shipping, and then fixed one of them after NTB scratched it mounting a tire. They will not eff up your wheels. The only downside is that they're expensive and that they are in Elkridge (dunno where you live)

Walmart should pay for the refinishing if they scratched it. NTB did.

If Silver Spring is closer, take it to Radial Tire. They too have proven they can mount a tire without f'ing up the finish

-john
Anonymouse20910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 08:19 PM   #4
Poppa smurf
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8257
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Washington & Frederick CO. MD
Vehicle:
2004 STI
Silver\Silver

Default

Curry's in ashburn, it may be a hike but the quality of work is worth it.
Poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:44 AM   #5
CurrysAuto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 44935
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dulles, VA
Default

Anonymouse20910,

Regardless of where you go to get tire/wheel work done in the future, ask about the equipment. Older shops, for instance, do not have the equipment to work on 17" or 18" rims. Other shops have equipment that can handles these wheel dimensions, but the machine might have a steel jaw mechanism that can scratch the wheels...instead of a rubber clamping system and polymer mount/demount heads.

Also, after the wheel is repaired by a reputable shop, I would suggest taking the receipt to the store manager at Walmart (along with any documentation you might have from when the damage occured) and very politely explain what happend. I think you'll be amazed at what they will do to make you a satisfied customer.

Good luck and I hope this helps. Regards, Bill Shaw
CurrysAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:34 AM   #6
TubeDriver
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14987
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
Gods Speed #57
Lemons/Chump #77

Default

I have used Radial Tire for years. Never had a problem, they have a large selection of tires in stock (including R compounds) and they shave tires if you race. Highly recommended. There is a small shop nearby (Allen Automotive) that will do alignment (including custom specs if desired) for $75. They have experience with WRX and do a great job and have the latest and greatest Hunter (?) alignment rack. You may want to get an alignment if it has been a while and since you are putting new tires on. BTW, I have never used either but have heard good things about Ye Old Tire Shop and bad things about Currys.
TubeDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 10:17 AM   #7
ButtDyno
Street's closed, pizza boy
 
Member#: 17301
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Why do they always say the Evo
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Default

Just to be clear - when I said YOWS was expensive I meant for refinishing stuff (around $85 a wheel to do em from scratch). Mounting/balancing is the standard $15 a wheel I think.

-john
ButtDyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 10:33 AM   #8
CurrysAuto
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 44935
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Dulles, VA
Default

TubeDriver,

We obviously have at least one satisfied customer as evidenced by Poppa smurf's recommendation two posts ahead of yours. But before writing any further negative comments about Curry's, however, I would ask that you first come to one of our shops to see for yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the level of customer service we provide to everyone who comes in and the quality of our work. I think that's only fair.

Regards, Bill Shaw
CurrysAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:31 AM   #9
Adrift
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 15528
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2006 Aspen White
20G'd STi - Long Gone :^(

Default

I have had wheels(with cheap painted finishes) and tires mounted and balanced at Curry's and they did a very good job. They even asked me if the wheels would see track use, and used aluminum tape to re-inforce the weights...
Adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:54 PM   #10
Anonymouse20910
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 29019
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Clarksburg, MD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX STi
DGM

Default

Thanks for all the responses fellas!

- TubeDriver
Thanks for informing me about Radial Tire, I just dropped my tires and wheels with them - theyre only 10 minutes away.

- Bill
Thanks for the advise - very good to know. I started asking Radial Tire about steel jaw mechanisms etc and the guy smiled and said don't worry we wont scratch em. We'll see when I pick em up after work.

I'm so glad these are only Rota's and not more expensive rims. I'm only using these for winter abuse so I'm not so concerned about the scratches, but it does piss me off that something new of mines was effed up by a so-called "professional."
Anonymouse20910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 01:11 PM   #11
TubeDriver
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14987
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
Gods Speed #57
Lemons/Chump #77

Default

I have been to both your shops (dropping off a friend who needed to pick up a car). I know of several cases involving expensive engine damage were the owners felt it was Curry's fault. I know of one case were a dyno day was badly mishandled and a bunch of WRXs were detonating left and right due to inadequate airflow (fans). I know of a WRX that had it's fenders rolled by Curry's with significant paint damage to the fenders. There are at least two cases on this site were badly botched UTEC/Unichip tuning was done (running much too lean). These are all public knowledge, you can do a search here on NASIOC and find out about the complaints for yourself. Lastly, I understand that mistakes happen but a large measure of how I judge a shop is it's response in those situations. Curry's did not own up and fix the problem. Instead they sidestepped and denied any responsibility (while charging what might euphemistically be described as "premium fees"). Actually, I did have minimal contact when I was quoted $700 to install a set of Prodrive spring in a WRX. An e-mail to Curry's to confirm that silly price was not answered. Glad I just did it myself. Nothing personal but you mentioned one satisfied customer, do a search and you will find several dissatisfied customers.


Quote:
Originally posted by CurrysAuto
TubeDriver,

We obviously have at least one satisfied customer as evidenced by Poppa smurf's recommendation two posts ahead of yours. But before writing any further negative comments about Curry's, however, I would ask that you first come to one of our shops to see for yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the level of customer service we provide to everyone who comes in and the quality of our work. I think that's only fair.

Regards, Bill Shaw
TubeDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:04 PM   #12
ButtDyno
Street's closed, pizza boy
 
Member#: 17301
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Why do they always say the Evo
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Default

Please let's keep the Curry-bashing out of this thread...

Anyone who wants to learn about Curry's can do a search.

-john
ButtDyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:57 PM   #13
Adrift
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 15528
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2006 Aspen White
20G'd STi - Long Gone :^(

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by TubeDriver
I have been to both your shops (dropping off a friend who needed to pick up a car). I know of several cases involving expensive engine damage were the owners felt it was Curry's fault. I know of one case were a dyno day was badly mishandled and a bunch of WRXs were detonating left and right due to inadequate airflow (fans). I know of a WRX that had it's fenders rolled by Curry's with significant paint damage to the fenders. There are at least two cases on this site were badly botched UTEC/Unichip tuning was done (running much too lean). These are all public knowledge, you can do a search here on NASIOC and find out about the complaints for yourself. Lastly, I understand that mistakes happen but a large measure of how I judge a shop is it's response in those situations. Curry's did not own up and fix the problem. Instead they sidestepped and denied any responsibility (while charging what might euphemistically be described as "premium fees"). Actually, I did have minimal contact when I was quoted $700 to install a set of Prodrive spring in a WRX. An e-mail to Curry's to confirm that silly price was not answered. Glad I just did it myself. Nothing personal but you mentioned one satisfied customer, do a search and you will find several dissatisfied customers.

Bad news travels fast, good news doesn't travel at all.

So let me get this straight, the only dealing with Curry's you have had was that they quoted you a bad price? You are def. qualified to discuss their merits!
Adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:20 PM   #14
TubeDriver
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14987
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
Gods Speed #57
Lemons/Chump #77

Default

I have MUCH MORE detailed information about the problems I mentioned. And as you so adroitly noticed, I clearly stated that my only personal dealing with Curry's is them quoting $700 to install a set of prodrive springs. On the other hand I mentioned a bunch of other cases, some of which were good friends of mine. So since you seem a big fan of Currys let me ask you a question. What kind of people ask $700 for a spring swap? What’s that work out to (7 hours of labor at $100/hour or 2 hours of labor at $350/hour?). This is pretty simple, a member asked opinions about a shop to do installs. Buttdyno posted a favorable opinion of Currys, I did not. I did not post until Curry’s (an NASIOC vendor?) chimed in. Your right about one thing, bad news travels fast.

Quote:
Originally posted by Adrift
Bad news travels fast, good news doesn't travel at all.

So let me get this straight, the only dealing with Curry's you have had was that they quoted you a bad price? You are def. qualified to discuss their merits!
TubeDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:28 PM   #15
ButtDyno
Street's closed, pizza boy
 
Member#: 17301
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Why do they always say the Evo
Vehicle:
is the "dark side"
06 Evo #7 STU, 03 IS300

Default

Quote:
Originally posted by TubeDriver
Buttdyno posted a favorable opinion of Currys, I did not.
No, I didn't, I asked that it be kept out of this thread the Curry's experiences that people on the board have had are well documented and easy enough to search on.

-john
ButtDyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 03:38 PM   #16
TubeDriver
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14987
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
Gods Speed #57
Lemons/Chump #77

Default

Sorry John, your right. It was Papa smurf who posted the positive review not Buttdyno. Well, I just added another opinion but like you said: people do a search before taking your pride and joy in for work.

Quote:
Originally posted by ButtDyno
No, I didn't, I asked that it be kept out of this thread the Curry's experiences that people on the board have had are well documented and easy enough to search on.

-john
TubeDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 05:33 PM   #17
Anonymouse20910
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 29019
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Clarksburg, MD
Vehicle:
2012 Impreza WRX STi
DGM

Default

Anyways

Radial Tires did a great job with em. No dings on the SDR's, no dings on the stockers, no dings on the car. Not sure if I like the bronze SDR's on my wrb, but we'll see if I do in the daylight tomorrow.

Sorry my post brought up some hot issues.
Anonymouse20910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2003, 05:01 PM   #18
TubeDriver
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 14987
Join Date: Feb 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
Gods Speed #57
Lemons/Chump #77

Default

Glad to hear it went well. Bronze/gold on WRB is a standard combo, should look great.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anonymouse20910
Anyways

Radial Tires did a great job with em. No dings on the SDR's, no dings on the stockers, no dings on the car. Not sure if I like the bronze SDR's on my wrb, but we'll see if I do in the daylight tomorrow.

Sorry my post brought up some hot issues.
TubeDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good STI shops in DC metro area Komma Newbies & FAQs 1 05-15-2008 12:47 PM
Looking for good body shop in DC Metro area zoltan Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 4 04-30-2008 12:54 PM
Good tire / wheel mounting shop - S. NH Gator GT New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 17 05-21-2005 04:56 PM
Machine shop help in DC metro area. Mud Pig Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC 12 06-11-2003 12:37 AM
Good dealerships in DC metro area? KTB Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 2 04-17-2002 10:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.