Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-20-2003, 11:03 PM   #1
StewedSquirrel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 48509
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza OBS
Red/Grey

Default Tubes on the bottom of airbox in EJ22

I'm just trying to learn about my engine more. I took apart the intake system. I removed the filter and the MAF and attempted to remove the airbox attached to the intake itself, but it has a few hoses attached to it, one in the front corner and one off the "arm" on the back. There is also a 2-to-1 junction strapped to the bottom of the box.

Are these vacuum hoses? Or what are they? What do they do and what is the effect if they're disconnected from the airbox (or clogged/closed)?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Eric
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
StewedSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 12:53 AM   #2
koolaid
*** Banned ***

Member#: 43491
Vehicle:
1997 Impreza Outback
Red

Alright, I just made an intake.. So i think i know these hoses. The 2 -> 1 is a splitter, its for the valve breathers, the big and one next to it are for the crank case (i believe). If the big one is disconneted the car will not run. Yeah, any further Questions, dont be afraid to e-mail me...

Best regards,
Ben
phs_champs@hotmail.com
koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 02:24 AM   #3
StewedSquirrel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 48509
Vehicle:
1998 Impreza OBS
Red/Grey

that's a little less technical than I was hoping... and the (I believe) part doesn't inspire confidence. Anyone else want to chime in?

There appear to be 3 of them, one to each of the last 3 cylinders, but I can't see a 4th one, which made me wonder...

They smell like oil and were damp with oil when I disconnected them, but they don't flow oil, since they empty into the airbox.

Anyway, I've done a little investigating and I think that I will be able to leave all of those connected to the airbox.

I want to shift it back toward the firewall about 4 inches (all the way back) and tip it upward about 30 degrees, so that there is a flexible hose connecting it to the actual intake manifold. From that position, I will be able to connect the MAF directly to the input on the box and then route a stretch of 3" ABS pipe with two 90" turns and a cone-shaped hi-flow filter resting slightly above and to the passenger side of the throttle assembly.

I'll have to investigate how to insulate the intake from the hot metal just below it, but that will only be an issue at idle. At speed, the scoop, directly above it, will provide an ample supply of cold air.

The only trick beyond that will be to fashion an airguide that attaches to the scoop itself and funnels the air down into the intake. Ideally, I'd like to make something nearly sealed, with some rubber weather stripping around it that closes tight when the hood is closed. Practically, I'll be happy if I have less than 1" gap all around, since when it counts, at speed, the pressure will push cold air out into the engine, rather than drawing hot air in from the engine.

I designed this very carefully to make sure that I am able to restore it to stock if I have any problems, such as issues with MAF airflow.

I'll let you know how it goes. I purchased some 3" ABS plumbing today, but that's a 3" inner diameter and 3 1/2" outer diameter. The pipes in the engine are 3" inner diameter and 3 1/16" outer diameter, so the fittings I have don't work on the places I need to attach them. Besides, I don't have the high-flow filter in there yet. :-D

Oh yeah, for the idle control vacuum hose, I got a 1" screw threaded PVC nipple. I will drill into one of the 90" elbows, trim off the bottom half of the threading, screw it into the hole and use some ABS cement to secure it. That's considered good enough for sewage, I hope it's good enough for cold air. :-)

Eric
StewedSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:04 AM   #4
koolaid
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza Outback
Red

Quote:
Oh yeah, for the idle control vacuum hose, I got a 1" screw threaded PVC nipple. I will drill into one of the 90" elbows, trim off the bottom half of the threading, screw it into the hole and use some ABS cement to secure it. That's considered good enough for sewage, I hope it's good enough for cold air. :-)
I was wondering what this big hose that was a PITFA was for..
Old 11-21-2003, 11:14 AM   #5
Mapplex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 20315
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1997 Impreza L
hunter green

I think one of them might be a drain hose for any water that might make its way into the air box.
Mapplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:57 AM   #6
koolaid
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza Outback
Red

No, there is technically no way for water to get there.. there are breathers.. thats it, and the idle air control