Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-20-2003, 03:09 AM   #1
swingkid
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 47949
Vehicle:
04 Forester XT
Porsche 914 w. suby six

Default Subaru Porsche Conversion

New to the group, thought I'd share some pics of my conversions. I've done a turbo 1.8 and a 2.7 flat six in my Porsche 914.

http://www.etischer.com/914xt6.html
http://www.etischer.com/914xt.html

Ive also done a cable shifter setup for the Porsche gear box in preperation to eventually convert to the front wheel drive xt6 gearbox.

Anyhow, if anyone needs a helping hand feel free to email me.

cheers
eric
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
swingkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 04:47 PM   #2
soloracer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38450

Eric,

I've read about your car on both your website and the club 914 board. Please read my thread and give me your insight.

Thread on Subaru Engine in 914

I'm stuck between going with a either a Subaru flat 4 (ej22T or ej20t) or 6 (eg33) or a Porsche 6. I'm hoping to get 300+hp and would prefer to stay N/A but will go turbocharged if I need to. Cost is always an issue and I'm trying to get some realistic numbers on what each conversion will cost and what the benefits/problems each will give me. My car came with an external oil tank, front mounted oil cooler, bulkhead mounts for putting a Porsche 6 in and a sideshifter 915 transmission. However, a Porsche engine is really expensive to buy and even more expensive to modify. Now I could buy another engine (subaru, toyota, chev small block) but then I would need to custom fabricate mounts, get an adapter plate, install an h20 cooling system for a car that didn't come with one.

Have experienced both an N/A six and a turbo 4 which one would you recommend?

Erik
soloracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 11:37 PM   #3
swingkid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 Forester XT
Porsche 914 w. suby six

Well, of the 1.8 turbo and the 2.7 six, I wouldn't reccommend either. I've been happy with the 2.7, but I dont think it will make your 300 horse. Im running 11:1 compression with flat pistons, bored throttle, and a custom ground cam, Im probably at 180hp.

I'd go with the 3.3, 3.0 or 2.5. Look up which kits fit which motors. If you get the 2.0 adapter, it will most likely fit the 3.0 and same for the 2.2 and 3.3. Or they may all be the same. The reason I used the 2.7 six was because it uses the same adapter as the 1.8.

You could go with a turbo motor, but Im pretty confident you will have to move the turbo, or cut a pocket in the rear trunk to fit it (like I had to do). I went through several 1.8 turbos, they are easy to find and somewhat reliable if you dont' increase the boost. My first engine was a daily driver for 2 years before I increased the boost from 7 to 9 lbs. I had a intercooler, bov, and turbo bypass valve so I thought it would be safe to increase boost. Before the bov the car backfired exploding the top off my intercooler. All I saw was a big orange fireball in the rear view!

Anyhow if you're shooting for 300 horse, best to pic whatever engine you can get thats already near 300. I personally cant stand V8 conversions, Ive gone for a ride in a few and its just so unrefined. You feel as if you are bolted directly to the engine, and 700lbs of cast iron in the rear of a 914 doesn't sit well with me. If you are going to get a porsche 6, plan on spending arond 4k for a complete running used motor in the 180 horse range. I'd go with a subaru flat six, either 3.3 or 3.0. They probably won't be the easiest thing to find used.

915 is a good tranny, I didn't know they made it side shift. This is the tranny from the newer 911s, most 914s had 901 trannys either tail or side shift. Double check, you might have a 901, I think the kennedy adapters are specific to the 901 and 915, just don't want you to order the wrong parts.

Good luck, start looking for the efi schematics =)
eric

Think about the S2000 honda engine, its the only 4 cyl honda that spins the right way. I had a rotary converted MG midget too, motor was perfectly reliable for the 3 years I had the car, just a little smokey. Never had any issues with it. They can be ported to make 300 easily, and you can get webbers! Jag v12s (early 90s) are pretty cheap and would be around 300 horse with smog removed. Wouldn't fit in a 914 though. Thinking of making a mid engine pickup one day =)
Old 12-21-2003, 02:30 AM   #4
soloracer
Scooby Newbie

My transmission is definately a 915 (the serial number checked out). It was converted to a sideshifter by Vellios. I believe the ring and pinion were flipped as well.

I have an RX7 Turbo and know a thing or two about rotaries. I would love a 20b 3rotor but the price puts me in Porsche 6 territory. I also have a Haltech e6k that I plan to use which should make the wiring a bit easier.

I was considering a 350 for some time but like you I don't like the idea of sticking a heavy v8 in the light 914. In a perfect world I would go with a destroked 3.6 from a 95 993 to get a high hp, high revving engine. However, I don't know if I want to commit the $$$ to such a project. Also, if and when the motor needs to be rebuilt the Porsche 6 will not be cheap.

As for the S2000, it makes no torque and has a really narrow power band. Not sure if that is something I want either. An NSX engine would be interesting though.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:36 PM   #5
swingkid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 Forester XT
Porsche 914 w. suby six

Ahh, the ole ring and pinion flip. Did it by accident once =) It was the first time I had gotten my conversion running, freaked me out for a few minutes cause I thought the engine was spinning backwards. The 915 should handle 300 horse no problem considering many people are reliably running 300 horse through the 901. You get the benifit of having a larger clutch too.

The rotaries look so slick bolted up to the porsche trannys. how soon are you looking to start your conversion?
Old 12-22-2003, 09:29 AM   #6
Radar_Lover
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 11748
Vehicle:
2001 GC6
Silverthorn

I'd put a street ported turbo rotary in it. You should get 350hp with the standalone, freeflowing exhaust, no A/C or air pump and maybe a hybrid turbo. That car is so light already and a rotary is super light, so how much torque does one need in it...

this would be sweet

The Beeer Keg

Last edited by Radar_Lover; 12-22-2003 at 09:42 AM.
Radar_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 03:25 PM   #7
Kevin Thomas
Street Racing Instructor

Member#: 110
Vehicle:
1989 1989 XT6

Question Help

Quote:
Originally posted by swingkid
Well, of the 1.8 turbo and the 2.7 six, I wouldn't reccommend either. I've been happy with the 2.7, but I dont think it will make your 300 horse. Im running 11:1 compression with flat pistons, bored throttle, and a custom ground cam, Im probably at 180hp.
Hello Swingkid,

Can you please send me information on where you purchased your pistons? I need to know everything I'd need to do to have done to a 2.7ltr engine as you have. The custom ground cam, the raised compression with the pistons, bored throttle, etc.

I had a failed attempt at trying to get my 2.7ltr turbo'd due to $$$. If there are already parts out there to make the 2.7ltr engine faster N/A, well...I'm ok with the bolt ons. You may PM me or post here. Thanks for ANY help.

I'll be pointing information about your 2.7ltr Porsche to other 2.7ltr XT6 owners as well. Thanks again!

Last edited by Kevin Thomas; 12-23-2003 at 03:31 PM.
Kevin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2003, 08:43 PM   #8
Kevin Thomas
Street Racing Instructor

Vehicle:
1989 1989 XT6

Default ?

*Bump* For Swingkid! Hello?
Old 12-29-2003, 11:00 PM   #9
soloracer
Scooby Newbie

Radar lover: I actually already own a 1987 RX7 Turbo that I use for the track. It was being prepared for a big turbo, stand alone EMS when I purchased the 914 and decided that it would make a much more competitive machine. I have friends with 400 rwhp + RX7's and know what it takes to get there. I considered a 3 rotor but the cost of the engines is prohibitive. I may still go with a turbo rotary but things like turbo lag, keeping the engine cool, etc. are a concern.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:07 PM   #10
swingkid
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 Forester XT
Porsche 914 w. suby six

Default Re: Help

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Thomas
Hello Swingkid,

Can you please send me information on where you purchased your pistons? I need to know everything I'd need to do to have done to a 2.7ltr engine as you have. The custom ground cam, the raised compression with the pistons, bored throttle, etc.

I had a failed attempt at trying to get my 2.7ltr turbo'd due to $$$. If there are already parts out there to make the 2.7ltr engine faster N/A, well...I'm ok with the bolt ons. You may PM me or post here. Thanks for ANY help.

I'll be pointing information about your 2.7ltr Porsche to other 2.7ltr XT6 owners as well. Thanks again!
The pistons were welded up by the dude I bought the engine from. He also welded up the cam lobes and had them reground to increase lift. Definatly don't want to loose a timing belt on this motor! I believe he bored out the throttle body as well.

I think the guys name was Steve... heres his shop info
Barsotti's Auto Care 400 Main Newcastle CA 95658 916 663-3077
Great deal on ebay for $700 bucks!
Old 01-01-2004, 08:26 AM   #11
Kevin Thomas
Street Racing Instructor

Vehicle:
1989 1989 XT6

Thumbs up Re: Re: Help

Quote:
Originally posted by swingkid
The pistons were welded up by the dude I bought the engine from. He also welded up the cam lobes and had them reground to increase lift. Definatly don't want to loose a timing belt on this motor! I believe he bored out the throttle body as well.

I think the guys name was Steve... heres his shop info
Barsotti's Auto Care 400 Main Newcastle CA 95658 916 663-3077
Great deal on ebay for $700 bucks!
Thanks for the info Swingkid! I'll try giving the shop a call next week. I have a set of XT6 cams sitting in my garage doing nothing so.........