Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 8, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
RoadTrippa
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 433719
Join Date: Nov 2015
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Blue

Default 05 WRX MT - Turbo oil feed pickup -

So my WRX seems to lose oil intermittently. I've already done the valve cover gaskets and know there is a small leak in the oil feed pickup line for the turbo.

Symptoms -

I will not lose oil for a long period of time. When I start to drive more aggressively I will notice oil disappearing, as in, it is not on the floor of the garage or anywhere I can detect. I can note a faint oil smell about the car though so it's going somewhere.

I've read the following thread:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...placement.html

Which appears to be for my issue. (though it is for a 2.5 and not the 2.0 that is in my car) The more I read about it the more nervous I get about doing this myself, as around page 17 someone calls into question various line diameters from the original post, and things get confusing from there.

So I found the following in that mess of a thread, is this 'the' solution for the leak I currently have?

http://www.pandlmotorsports.com/product-p/pl-sub601.htm

Latest best find - http://turboconcepts.net/cars/subaru...nquiry=success

Or is there something I am missing as far as a solid walkthrough for addressing this issue yourself? It seems that hard line for the oil has a tendency to break or crack at the welds...

Thanks -
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by RoadTrippa; 09-06-2016 at 09:41 PM.
RoadTrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:53 AM   #2
RoadTrippa
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 433719
Join Date: Nov 2015
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Blue

Default

<crickets chirping>
RoadTrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:47 AM   #3
CRX7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 31639
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Vehicle:
99 Impreza
White

Default

If your avcs line or oil feed line were leaking you would see oil on the block around it. Same thing with valve cover gaskets. So get some ramps and get under the car and look for oil. If there is no external oil leak then it's internal, which is turbo, rings, or head.
CRX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:04 AM   #4
Brother EddieJ.
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181617
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: frederick, md
Vehicle:
2004 wrx
6speed/ 330whp/ 300wtq

Default

Compression check is needed
Brother EddieJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:57 PM   #5
RoadTrippa
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 433719
Join Date: Nov 2015
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother EddieJ. View Post
Compression check is needed
The car drives normally, no smoke or other perceptible issues. What indicates a compression issue?
RoadTrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
Samurai Jack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

burning oil, for one
Samurai Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #7
RoadTrippa
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 433719
Join Date: Nov 2015
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
burning oil, for one
Wasn't aware that was a sign for that... I thought when internal things go the car would drive worse and puff smoke or something? Nothing like that is happening, no engine lights, it even passed inspection a few weeks ago.

The turbo does feel a bit 'jerky' when I am on it, but I thought that might be a factory tune (car is 100% stock) It pulls well just has a minor stumble in places and if I get on it too low in the RPM's. (I don't floor it below 3k or so)

Kozmic motorsports in town is the one that alerted me to a small leak at the turbo oil feed line that they said could possibly account for the missing oil which is what led me down that path.
RoadTrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
Samurai Jack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

If this place is telling you that they actually saw a small leak at the turbo oil feed line, they I am going to presume there is one and they aren't lying.

You CAN have worn rings, be burning some oil, and not really see it or have any kind of code indicated. A compression test, if you know how to do one, will help determine if there are issues with your rings and valves

You have to determine WHY you have a small leak at the feed line before you try to solve it
Samurai Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #9
RoadTrippa
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 433719
Join Date: Nov 2015
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
If this place is telling you that they actually saw a small leak at the turbo oil feed line, they I am going to presume there is one and they aren't lying.

You CAN have worn rings, be burning some oil, and not really see it or have any kind of code indicated. A compression test, if you know how to do one, will help determine if there are issues with your rings and valves

You have to determine WHY you have a small leak at the feed line before you try to solve it
How long before 'worn rings' becomes a thing to be concerned about? I have 82k on my 05 WRX and it has only had one owner before me. (doesn't mean anything I know) I did have a clean compression and leakdown test when I bought it at 72k.

Definitely appreciate your feedback and not disputing any of your suggestions, I'm trying to learn and share any relevant information that might be worth mentioning.
RoadTrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:48 AM   #10
Brother EddieJ.
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 181617
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: frederick, md
Vehicle:
2004 wrx
6speed/ 330whp/ 300wtq

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippa View Post
How long before 'worn rings' becomes a thing to be concerned about? I have 82k on my 05 WRX and it has only had one owner before me. (doesn't mean anything I know) I did have a clean compression and leakdown test when I bought it at 72k.

Definitely appreciate your feedback and not disputing any of your suggestions, I'm trying to learn and share any relevant information that might be worth mentioning.
There's no telling when they can go. It's a crap shoot
Brother EddieJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #11
Samurai Jack
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21145
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Not in my own time
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippa View Post
How long before 'worn rings' becomes a thing to be concerned about? I have 82k on my 05 WRX and it has only had one owner before me. (doesn't mean anything I know) I did have a clean compression and leakdown test when I bought it at 72k.
As was said above, it's a crap shoot.

They could last a year or more, or be gone in a week. Can't really tell. Too many variables

AFTER you determine where the leak is coming from, then you can look for a solution. If you are not confident that the real issue is the turbo feed line, just to be on the safe side I would do a compression test.

If the DRY compression test is good, it is not the rings or the valves

If the DRY compression test is bad, then you need to do a WET compression test. A failed DRY compression test can be rings or valves. If the WET compression test is bad, now it could be valves, valve seals, etc.
Samurai Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #12
RoadTrippa
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 433719
Join Date: Nov 2015
Vehicle:
2005 WRX Wagon
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
As was said above, it's a crap shoot.

They could last a year or more, or be gone in a week. Can't really tell. Too many variables

AFTER you determine where the leak is coming from, then you can look for a solution. If you are not confident that the real issue is the turbo feed line, just to be on the safe side I would do a compression test.

If the DRY compression test is good, it is not the rings or the valves

If the DRY compression test is bad, then you need to do a WET compression test. A failed DRY compression test can be rings or valves. If the WET compression test is bad, now it could be valves, valve seals, etc.
Ok thank you!
RoadTrippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.