Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 6, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #276
GuamSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 210071
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Guam
Vehicle:
04 STI
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R L Newb View Post
Strange? MAF sensors are retardly sensitive to any and all changes.

This is the thought that I had when I installed my Perrin Turbo inlet hose. My SPT intake ended up being too long that I could not install the filter because it was touching the inner fender. So what I did instead of cutting the intake to make it shorter I ground the coolant line tabs on the intake (i did not use it) and I slid the filter closer towards the MAF thus keeping the distance between the MAF and the length of the pipe the same.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
GuamSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #277
txl146
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32459
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
02 WRX VF34
Junior Tuned 301whp

Default

Here is what I did to remove P0171 code and pass state inspection.

1. MAF sensor cleaned
2. IACV completely disassembled then cleaned.
3. PCV replaced
4. TMIC and all hoses disassembled and checked for leak and condition.
5. Map pressure sensor removed and cleaned. Found out that one of the bolt came off loose!
6. Intake filter removed and put back (checked for proper seal).
7. Fuel filter and hoses replaced
8. O2 sensor ordered, but NOT replaced yet...

Car finally passed state inspection today....
txl146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #278
smeerone
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 249068
Join Date: Jun 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Miami, Fl.
Vehicle:
2010 WRX
DGM Phatbotti Tuned

Default

^what a mission!
smeerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #279
WarTowels
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 185653
Join Date: Jul 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Rally Blue

Default

Well, I spoke too soon as the CEL came back.

I bought a stock intake, or, part of one. And I'll be installing that and selling the AEM. Grrr.

-Towels
WarTowels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:46 PM   #280
GuamSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 210071
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Guam
Vehicle:
04 STI
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarTowels View Post
Well, I spoke too soon as the CEL came back.

I bought a stock intake, or, part of one. And I'll be installing that and selling the AEM. Grrr.

-Towels
Good Luck!
GuamSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #281
Vlad
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46135
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Sti V9 Spec C

Default

I had another episode with this code. My wife got stranded with her BMW, so I had to drive to pick her up, low on gas.
So although I always fill 93 from my local Mobil station, I filled 93 from a Sunoco station.
On my way home, probably 30 miles later, I started to get the rough idle and got the code.
I reset it thinking I'm due for my 6 months appearance of the code, but 30 miles later, it came back.
So I bought a can of techron, added it, waited till the gas was really low, refilled from my local Mobil station and the code has not showed up for the last month.
My current check of the long term + short term trim shows it's not on it's way back either. So I'll probably see it again in a few months.

About the MAP sensor:
This is one sensor I did not replace. It is mentioned on the list of things to check in the factory manual, under this code.
I did test its value, per factory manual, with the engine not started, key to on position.
I compared the test value with the local barometric pressure by weather.com.
It did come out skewed, borderline out of spec.
I later discovered that barometric pressure in the media is normalized barometric pressure, vs sensor pressure.
Don't make the same mistake I did.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #282
Izero
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 121332
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern Jersey
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default

I am now having an issue with my car throwing this code, I've cleared it and it has come back....

When I am cruising my a/fs stay perfectly between 14.5 and 15.2 depending on RPM, with the exception that sometimes when I am at roughly 3-7% throttle my a/fs will oscillate repeatedly from 12.0-17.5, this can happen in any gear and I can make it stop by taking my foot out of the throttle for a second then re-engage it.

At Idle however, just this past saturday is when it happened for the first time on my way home from work, I stopped at a light and the car was idling perfectly fine, but then it slowly creeped down to 16.0 a/f then 17.0 then when off the deep-end all the way to above 18.0 (where my gauge stops reading).

At which point the Idle RPMs will drop below normal (Below the first RPM line), and then it will surge slightly and the RPMs will go up to the 1,000 line with a/fs at around 15.4-15.8 and then it will go right back to lean and crappy idle again... when I put my foot into the throttle at a standstill (2% throttle and up) I will see a/fs of 14.2-15.6 but if I look at the logger it shows I am reading from my driving tune.

I sprayed brake cleaner on every single vacuum line I could see, as well as the throttle body while the car was idling (I've done it before to check for vac. leaks and when you spray the right line the car will almost die). The only place the car did this was over the item pictured below... I am not sure what this piece is called but it looks almost like a one way check valve or something.... it comes right off of the intake (just before the turbo inlet starts)



My front O2 sensor is almost brand new, as I have just replaced it less than 5,000 miles ago.

I replaced every single vacuum line in this area meaning:

All of the ones connected to this piece and everything connected to the little bracket/sensor that is mounted to the intake manifold just under the pictured piece... it has a small (2 or 3 wire) harness plugged into it there and I believe one vacuum line going into it as well...

I have not cleaned the MAF, or the IAC motor yet, I want to get a gasket for the IAC motor before I take it off just in case it is in bad shape...

I want to try to replace this piece but I in all honesty have no clue what it is called and I dug through every piece related to the word vacuum at my local autozone with no luck...

So if anyone has any information on what that piece is and also maybe where else I should look for problems (I've read through this thread and I am going to check some of the other things people have tried)

Last edited by Izero; 01-17-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: realized this thread is for 2.0L Powertrains and I'm a 2.5L
Izero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #283
Big Joe
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 3722
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: So. Cali.
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
Silver

Default

Quote:
I want to try to replace this piece but I in all honesty have no clue what it is called and I dug through every piece related to the word vacuum at my local autozone with no luck...
That piece looks like a purge valve. On an 02 WRX the part number is 42084FE010, not sure if it is the same for an 04.

Last edited by Big Joe; 01-17-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: add pic
Big Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #284
txl146
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32459
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
02 WRX VF34
Junior Tuned 301whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txl146 View Post
Here is what I did to remove P0171 code and pass state inspection.

1. MAF sensor cleaned
2. IACV completely disassembled then cleaned.
3. PCV replaced
4. TMIC and all hoses disassembled and checked for leak and condition.
5. Map pressure sensor removed and cleaned. Found out that one of the bolt came off loose!
6. Intake filter removed and put back (checked for proper seal).
7. Fuel filter and hoses replaced
8. O2 sensor ordered, but NOT replaced yet...

Car finally passed state inspection today....
As of today, CEL hasn't come back.... loose map pressure sensor might have been the problem.
txl146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #285
Vlad
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46135
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Sti V9 Spec C

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izero View Post



I sprayed brake cleaner on every single vacuum line I could see, as well as the throttle body while the car was idling (I've done it before to check for vac. leaks and when you spray the right line the car will almost die). The only place the car did this was over the item pictured below... I am not sure what this piece is called but it looks almost like a one way check valve or something.... it comes right off of the intake (just before the turbo inlet starts)
)
Purge valve. Check the arrow on it and make sure it is installed in the proper direction.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #286
Izero
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 121332
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern Jersey
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default

the arrow should be going away from the intake correct....?
Izero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #287
Vlad
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46135
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Sti V9 Spec C

Default

No, towards.
Just so I can find this in the future, this is at page
FU(DOHC Turbo)-26 in the fractory repair manual.

Literally hidden into the reinstallation procedure of the intake manifold.

I reversed mine and reduced the occurance of my code.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #288
Izero
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 121332
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern Jersey
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default

Still didn't fix my problem it actually made the problem somewhat worse as now I'm below 20mmHg vacuum... I've cleaned my MAF and my Idle Air Control motor... Keep in mind that I have an 04 STi so what else in the world could it be???? I'm about to just say **** it and drop it off at my local shop.... I'm so frustrated I can't even tell you all...

I just put a brand new short block in less than 7000miles ago... I can't even begin to tell you all how frustrating this **** is......
Izero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:07 AM   #289
Vlad
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46135
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Sti V9 Spec C

Default

Check for leaks.
Brake cleaner didn't work on my car either.
Get somehow use of a compressor with a really long hose.
Go to a quiet area. A park.

Manufacture the test fitting as per the thread on Nasioc, out of Home depot items.

I bought the cheapest compressor from Home depot. Their return policy is somewhat better.
You need an inverter

Set the test fitting, connect the compressor, wait for the tank to get a full load.

The compressor or chuck will have some form of gauge, set for roughly 15 PSI.
Start to manually turn the crank pulley untill you reach the sealing position. This is when it starts to hold some pressure for a little time.

You're supposed to disconnect and cap all connectors to the crank case.

listen for unusual noises, hopefully you'll find it this way.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #290
Izero
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 121332
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern Jersey
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default

and you have to open the oil fill cap or else BOOM there go your seals... I'm just gonna drop it off at my local shop and see what happens... I've tried everything except for the boost leak test and I just dont have the time to do it right now....
Izero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #291
GuamSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 210071
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Guam
Vehicle:
04 STI
White

Default

replacing the turbo inlet cured mine so far so good. It's been a couple of months since I last saw this code.
GuamSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #292
Izero
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 121332
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern Jersey
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamSTI View Post
replacing the turbo inlet cured mine so far so good. It's been a couple of months since I last saw this code.
there is a brand new one on there that went in with the motor... I will have a very very hard time believing the new one is busted...
Izero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #293
ed10
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 198026
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Asheville/Fletcher, NC
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Nulla Tenaci Invia EstVia

Default

brand new factory one? I think it's pretty flimsy, besides in my case it wasn't sealing properly (see my pic on page 11) and that was put in when my new block was put in also. Get a mirror and check all around the turbo to be sure it isn't the inlet hose.
ed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #294
txl146
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32459
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
02 WRX VF34
Junior Tuned 301whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Check for leaks.
Brake cleaner didn't work on my car either.
Get somehow use of a compressor with a really long hose.
Go to a quiet area. A park.

Manufacture the test fitting as per the thread on Nasioc, out of Home depot items.

I bought the cheapest compressor from Home depot. Their return policy is somewhat better.
You need an inverter

Set the test fitting, connect the compressor, wait for the tank to get a full load.

The compressor or chuck will have some form of gauge, set for roughly 15 PSI.
Start to manually turn the crank pulley untill you reach the sealing position. This is when it starts to hold some pressure for a little time.

You're supposed to disconnect and cap all connectors to the crank case.

listen for unusual noises, hopefully you'll find it this way.
I learned my painful lesson when seals blew on my car.
txl146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #295
2002wrxawd
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 267908
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

My02 front O2 sensor threw this cel code at 40k. At the time my only mod was snorkle delete and new fuel filter.
2002wrxawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #296
GuamSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 210071
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Guam
Vehicle:
04 STI
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izero View Post
there is a brand new one on there that went in with the motor... I will have a very very hard time believing the new one is busted...

If it is the OEM one I would not be so sure get an aftermarket one but do not get the Perrin one it was a pita to install because the connections did not line up and they did not want to replace it they wanted me to buy a new one. I would have bought the SAMCO would have been a better choice.
GuamSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #297
Izero
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 121332
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern Jersey
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default

Yea I can't exactly afford a new Inlet right now, so I am hoping my mechanic can figure out whats going on with it. we will see... I will def. keep you all posted, also if the inlet is not sealing, I will get a new one from Subaru for free as it is still under warranty from when my shop put the new motor in, so I'm covered there.. we will see what the issue is.


I've ruled out:

IAT - Cleaned

MAF - Cleaned (and outputting correct voltage)

IAC Motor - Cleaned & Checked Gasket on it (perfect condition)

Purge Valve Solenoid - Working Correctly & Replaced all lines to and from it.

One Way Purge Valve - Possibly the problem but it is not cracked or damaged externally (internally is an unknown)

Front O2 sensor - Reading in sync (as close as can be) to my wideband and it is also less than 7,000 miles old.

Turbo Inlet - Less than 7,000 miles old, doubtful its the problem but my shop will definitely check it out.

BOV Vacuum Lines - Replaced one part of it but its possible it may be the problem.

thats about all I have checked myself... I'll let the pro's take care of the rest... lol
Izero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #298
Vlad
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46135
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
02 WRX
Sti V9 Spec C

Default

In the factory manual, the MAP sensor is listed to be checked for this code as well. You're supposed to take a reading with the engine not on, but warmed up, I think, then compare it to what they list.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 PM   #299
Izero
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 121332
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Northern Jersey
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Platinum Silver Metallic

Default

Hmmm... I guess the shop will have to figure it out... I am hoping and praying its just a simple vacuum line leak or something but we will see... lol
Izero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #300
GuamSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 210071
Join Date: Apr 2009
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Guam
Vehicle:
04 STI
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izero View Post
Yea I can't exactly afford a new Inlet right now, so I am hoping my mechanic can figure out whats going on with it. we will see... I will def. keep you all posted, also if the inlet is not sealing, I will get a new one from Subaru for free as it is still under warranty from when my shop put the new motor in, so I'm covered there.. we will see what the issue is.


I've ruled out:

IAT - Cleaned

MAF - Cleaned (and outputting correct voltage)

IAC Motor - Cleaned & Checked Gasket on it (perfect condition)

Purge Valve Solenoid - Working Correctly & Replaced all lines to and from it.

One Way Purge Valve - Possibly the problem but it is not cracked or damaged externally (internally is an unknown)

Front O2 sensor - Reading in sync (as close as can be) to my wideband and it is also less than 7,000 miles old.

Turbo Inlet - Less than 7,000 miles old, doubtful its the problem but my shop will definitely check it out.

BOV Vacuum Lines - Replaced one part of it but its possible it may be the problem.



thats about all I have checked myself... I'll let the pro's take care of the rest... lol

I was in the same boat as you I replaced everything except for the turbo inlet but everybody recommended that regardless of mileage after 2 years it needs to be replaced. Check out the Perrin website I think that is where I read that. Good Luck, I took the car to the dealer 2x for this and they could not get it resolved. BTW my car is an 04' with 17K miles

I forgot to mention when I replaced my turbo inlet I also installed a new BPV gasket and MAF sensor o-ring
GuamSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Everything you ever wanted to know about anything ever made......ever Hester Prynne Off-Topic 12 11-05-2008 06:57 PM
OT Non-Gun Nuts: Everything you ever wanted to know but were afraid to ask (or try) Janq Off-Topic 47 12-29-2006 02:23 PM
Everything you ever wanted to know about exaust systems Back Road Runner Normally Aspirated Powertrain 9 10-24-2006 10:59 PM
('93-'01) Everything you ever wanted to know about Subarus... Porsche914boxer4 Impreza Forum 15 07-23-2001 10:17 PM
Everything you ever wanted to know about WRX exhauasts (old model) --> rao Normally Aspirated Powertrain 5 02-12-2001 09:56 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.