Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday May 29, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
sr.hudson19
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 436449
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Red

Default Cooling fan going bad??

Hey guys I've been doing some research and can't really find a clear cut answer. I have a 2006 WRX TR (EJ255). When I first start up the car and drive it, it runs completely fine and normal. Then after it warms up when I stop and let the car idle obviously the cooling fans kick on, but when they do kick on the rpm's drop to like 500 or below and the car acts like it wants to die, then the rpm's will jump back up to about 1500 and then stabilize again. It will idle just fine again until the fans kick on again and it will do the same thing. Obviously it does it a little more when I have the A/C or heat on, but those would kick the fan to kick on more often.

I'm under the impression its my cooling fans going bad. Can anyone agree with this?

and if so can some one link me to how to replace those fans??

Thanks a lot!
sr.hudson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
SynapseDynamics
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 368534
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
05 STI
WRB

Possible, but unlikely. I'd check the battery and alternator first.
SynapseDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #3
sr.hudson19
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Red

I checked the alternator and it tested out fine and I did run a test on the batter and it checked bad for Cold Cranking Amps. The CCA's wouldn't affect it while it's running would it??
Old 04-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #4
TakesTheBus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 444737
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2007 Orion TTC
Red and White

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr.hudson19 View Post
I checked the alternator and it tested out fine and I did run a test on the batter and it checked bad for Cold Cranking Amps. The CCA's wouldn't affect it while it's running would it??
Not at all, those are the most important when trying to start your car in extreme cold condition, hence the name.

If your fan keeps kicking on and off it MAY be the thermostat, or the fan clutch. I had a buddy who had a Chevy Trailblazer and once the fan clutch went it was perma on.
TakesTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:19 AM   #5
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Trailblazers are steaming turds...

It's been a couple of decades since Subaru used fan clutches.

Low/bad CCA is indicative of a bad battery with poor capacity. That would be the first thing I would rectify when trying to diagnose an electrical problem.

It would be like saying you know your thermostat is bad but you want to figure out why your cooling system doesn't work right. Start with the obvious.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #6
TakesTheBus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 444737
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2007 Orion TTC
Red and White

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoTheCat View Post
Trailblazers are steaming turds...

It's been a couple of decades since Subaru used fan clutches.

Low/bad CCA is indicative of a bad battery with poor capacity. That would be the first thing I would rectify when trying to diagnose an electrical problem.

It would be like saying you know your thermostat is bad but you want to figure out why your cooling system doesn't work right. Start with the obvious.
definately, rule number one, always check the battery first. I've never seen this fan thing happening before with my limited exp
TakesTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
sr.hudson19
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Red

Ok update, so I just replaced the battery and I thought it actually fixed the problem then after driving it and pulling into my drive way I let it idle. It's not doing it nearly as bad, but I still notice that when the fan kicks on its ok, but when the fan shuts off is when the rpm's stumble down and bounce back up.

Any suggestions on how to check a load sensor or the fans themselves?? Or any other suggestions of what it could be?
Old 04-15-2016, 01:12 AM   #8
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

How did you test your alternator?

I'd look closely at alternator output and perhaps give your throttle body a good cleaning. Sounds like idle control might be having issues.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote