Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday November 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:10 AM   #1
kimguroo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 50529
Vehicle:
2008 forester xt
red

Default useful accessories for baja?

I am looking for some accessories for baja. I already got bed extender.
does Splash Guard Kit and Rear Differential Protector worth to buy?
anyone recommend useful accessories for baja? (pro and con)
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kimguroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 04:55 AM   #2
SouthShoreBaja
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 50658
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 2.5RS
Aspen White

Here's a run-through of the OEM accessories and my opinions:

Splash Guard Set: Came on mine at purchase. I haven't taken them off to see the difference.

Rear Diff Protector: I don't have this, although if i ever decide to take it off-road at all, i'll have this installed. Mind you, its not for heavy off-roading though, ie Tommy Makinen doesn't have this on his car lol...It only protects the diff.

The various masks/hood deflectors: Unless you live in a buggy area, its purely aesthetic. I don't have any of them and don't plan on ever adding them.

Engine block heater/battery warmer: North pole? Sure. Contigous 48 states, no need imo.

Auto-dimming mirror: Came at purchase and is great, helps ignore all those SUVs!

Bed Cargo Net: I bought this this past spring and its useless for essentially everything you'd want it for. The picture on most sites shows one box under it. A box which could easily fit in the backseat mind you. lol...In travelling to/fro our storage facility i brought 20 iron mountain storage boxes and on the first trip attempted to secure them(only 1 level of boxes) and it was too short. SO i grabbed some bungees out of the garage.

Moon roof deflector: I'm going to buy this in the spring and install it, meant to last year, oh well. Its nothing unique to Subarus, just a deflector.

Sports activity lights: again, like the hood deflectors, purely aesthetic. Out of all the Baja's i've seen on the road over the past year or so i've never seen one with these, including dealer models. Only one i've seen is on the stock subaru commercials. Unless you play extensive nighttime beach volleyball tournaments or are constantly pitching camp at midnight in the woods and your high beams just don't cut it...they're for people who own little 's
SouthShoreBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 04:06 PM   #3
dave_t
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 48729
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2002 legacy wagon
black

i absolutly hate all bug deflectors/ car bras... no offence to you southshore baja if you are going to put on the sun roof deflector it's you own choice i just dont like the looksand will never put one on my car... although i do have a question about it. i dont own a baja but i did drive the one at my dad's dealership a bit last summer and when the sunroof was open there was a lot more wind noise that most of the other cars i drive with sunroof's i think it was because of the size of the opening... will the deflector prevent this noise by moving the flow of air over the sunroof?

i'd get a bed cover, probably a soft one beacuse you have the bed extender, as for the light bar on the roof i think the look cool but are useless because they can only be used while the car is in park
dave_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 05:49 PM   #4
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44810
Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

I live in Florida and we always have thoes 'love bugs' on the highway so the hood deflector comes in handy. It also helps with stones flying on the road. When I got my Baja they didn't have any of the accessories in stock so the dealer had to order them. I drove the Baja with the sunroof open ofter and could not hear the person sitting next to me. When I got the sunroof deflector it cut down on the wind noise quite a bit. I would buy it just for that! The only problems is that you can't really open the sunroof early in the morning. The dew will drip right into the car because the deflector comes about two inches over the opening.
My model came with the mud gards and have never taken them off.
I wish I would have gotten the bumper molding gards because my car has been hit in the parking lot by several shopping carts and have scratched the corners.
I did order the touch up paint but havn't used it yet.
The bed extender has been very helpfull carrying over size loads.
I ordered the upgraded speakers but I feel I should have saved my money and bought a third party speakers. The Subaru ones are not that great.
I have the vertical cargo net and the bet net. The vertical cargo net is handy if you don't use the pass thru very often. I keep some bungees and a small tool kit in the net behind the seat. the cargo net is a joke as SouthShoreBaja said.
As far as the lights go, I have no need for them. If you do get them remeber, you have to remove or move them to place anything on the roof racks (ie bike rack, surfboard, etc.)
I want to get a hard bed cover so I can leave my golf clubs in the bed after a game. If I take a foursome and we have lunch/ drinks after a game I have to move the clubs back and forth from the backseat to the bead. The console between the back seats is a nice touch but mine always gets scratches every time I put something across the seats.
braveit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 09:36 PM   #5
dave_t
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 legacy wagon
black

if your carrying things in the back seat for safety. just fold the seat down it's nice and flat it does scratch fairly easily but you dont see it when the seat is up
Old 01-05-2004, 09:42 PM   #6
SouthShoreBaja
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 2.5RS
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally posted by dave_t
i dont own a baja but i did drive the one at my dad's dealership a bit last summer and when the sunroof was open there was a lot more wind noise that most of the other cars i drive with sunroof's i think it was because of the size of the opening... will the deflector prevent this noise by moving the flow of air over the sunroof?
Yeah Dave, the noise is unusually loud, even when you just have the cover slid back and the glass neither ajar or slid open. The only other car i've put a deflector on is a saab 900S and it helped a ton.

I'm hoping, although i have no knowledge either way, that it will significantly decrease the noise level. If anyone can let us know either way, it'd be appreciated, as i'm solely getting it to stop the noise and nothing to do with looks.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:45 PM   #7
SouthShoreBaja
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 2.5RS
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally posted by braveit1
I live in Florida and we always have thoes 'love bugs' on the highway so the hood deflector comes in handy. It also helps with stones flying on the road. When I got my Baja they didn't have any of the accessories in stock so the dealer had to order them. I drove the Baja with the sunroof open ofter and could not hear the person sitting next to me. When I got the sunroof deflector it cut down on the wind noise quite a bit. I would buy it just for that! The only problems is that you can't really open the sunroof early in the morning. The dew will drip right into the car because the deflector comes about two inches over the opening.
Ah braveit1 answered my question there. I'mm looking fwd to the deflector then.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:24 PM   #8
RWS_BajaTurbo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 51520
Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Regatta Red

As others have said, the moonroof deflector is a must. It dramatically lowers the wind noise.

My Baja came with the sport activity lights. I took them off since I will never use them. The wirering unplugs and nicely tucks right next to the passenger side roof rack. So if I want to put them back on for resale, it will be a sinch.

I also took off the roof rack bars. It's easy to do and it cuts down on wind noise big time.

I have the premium stereo package with the 6-disk changer and sub-woofer. It's the best car audio I've had (note to stereo buffs...I've never bought after market, so don't laugh at me). Great base and great highs. I also like the fact that the disk changer is in the dash.

The horizontal cargo net that attaches to the back of the rear seat is useless. It only attaches at the corners, so when you put something in it and then lift the seat up, the contents slide right out the bottom of the net.

Someone recommended getting the soft bed cover if you have a bed extender. I have the SnugLid and the bed extender works fine with it. The SnugLid locks to the sides, so you can have the tail gate down (with the extender extended) and still lock the top. The only downfall of the SnugLid is that it would be a hassle to remove if you have to haul large cargo (e.g. washing machine).

I wanted to get the seat warmers, but my Baha didn't come with them. I had thought that with the leather seats, I would freeze my ass off. But since the center of the "leather" seats are actually cloth, it doesn't get that cold.

I have the acrylic hood deflector. It helps reduce stone chips on the hood. I didn't get the bra because if dirt gets underneath the bra, it can scratch the paint. The hood deflector was nicely designed. It has rubber bumpers beneath to keep it from touching the hood and it lies only a 1/4 inch above the hood so you don't have to worry about it in the automated car washes.

I got the hitch (and wiring) installed by the factory. I have a hitch mount 4-bike carrier. I like putting the bikes on the back because it's less hassle than putting them on the roof and doesn't use up valuable cargo space. Although, if you get rear-ended, kiss your $1500 bikes goodbye.
RWS_BajaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 10:31 PM   #9
Baja Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49744
Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo 10
Regetta Red Pearl

I recommend the splash guards they work good.My first Baja came with splash guards at a cost of $150.00.My second Baja did'nt come with them and i just bought a set for $107.00 Alot cheaper if you buy them instead of the dealer.Save your money and get the tweeter kit and speaker up grade instead of the diff protector.You'll get more use out of your money.I also recommend the trailer hitch,what you can't haul in the bed you can in a utility trailer.The cost was about $225.00 and is easy to install.
Baja Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 11:31 PM   #10
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

I guess I'm a little bias for the audio systems. The other car (a Mustang Convt. GT) has a stock MACH sound system with tweeters and no sub woofer. I think it has better sound than my Baja with the upgraded speakers, tweeters and sub. I have since changed out the HU with a DVD player and an LCD screen but I want to change out the upgraded speakers in the future. The subwoofer playes through the front speaker settings so if you like to turn down the front speakers and turn up the rear, you loose the sub. I will be adding an amp somewhere so I can run the sub on its own channel with my HU (There is a sub output on the DVD player.)
I also have the trailer hitch but to this point I have never used it. I do plan to get the bike hitch for the same reason as stated. And if I get rearended, that's what insurance is for. I would file a claim on thoes who rearended me.
I have the vertical cargo net which is 'folded' in half like a bag so that things do not fall out when you lower the seat. Good for holding a tarp and bungees between the seats.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:24 AM   #11
Peloquin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41307
Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Regatta Red/Silver Stone

Quote:
Originally posted by RWS_BajaTurbo
The only downfall of the SnugLid is that it would be a hassle to remove if you have to haul large cargo (e.g. washing machine).
Finally someone answers the question I've been pondering. I never know when I'm going to need to throw something in the back, so I was afraid of getting the snuglid because it would be a pain in the @$$ to get off. I know my brother has one on his pickup and they pretty much consider it a permanent fixture.

I'll go back to looking for the soft cover or some other option.
Peloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:29 AM   #12
Peloquin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41307
Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Regatta Red/Silver Stone

Quote:
Originally posted by braveit1

I have the vertical cargo net which is 'folded' in half like a bag so that things do not fall out when you lower the seat. Good for holding a tarp and bungees between the seats.
Wow, that's an awesome idea. I'm gonna play with that when I get home!
Peloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:59 AM   #13
dave_t
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 legacy wagon
black

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Turbo
I recommend the splash guards they work good.My first Baja came with splash guards at a cost of $150.00.My second Baja did'nt come with them and i just bought a set for $107.00 Alot cheaper if you buy them instead of the dealer.Save your money and get the tweeter kit and speaker up grade instead of the diff protector.You'll get more use out of your money.I also recommend the trailer hitch,what you can't haul in the bed you can in a utility trailer.The cost was about $225.00 and is easy to install.
you've had two baja's already??? wasn't 2003 the first year for it?
Old 01-10-2004, 12:05 AM   #14
kx200
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52305
Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Monterey Silver

braveit1 or dave_t
Is your trailer hitch the stock Subaru unit and if so does it hangs down very far or is the receiver the only thing you see like in the brochure

thanks
kx200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 02:49 AM   #15
RWS_BajaTurbo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 51520
Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Regatta Red

Quote:
Originally posted by kx200
braveit1 or dave_t
Is your trailer hitch the stock Subaru unit and if so does it hangs down very far or is the receiver the only thing you see like in the brochure

thanks
I have the stock hitch. It's just like the brochure.
RWS_BajaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 10:13 AM   #16
dave_t
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 legacy wagon
black

i dont actually own a baja.... my dad sells subaru's and i wash them in the summer... i'm not even sure if the one baja we have here has a hitch...
Old 01-10-2004, 05:10 PM   #17
hatake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34811
Vehicle:
04 Baja T
Black

Take a look at the installation brochure (PDF) at www.subaruparts.com web site. It's a bolt on.
hatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 08:17 PM   #18
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

Quote:
Originally posted by kx200
braveit1 or dave_t

thanks
I have the stock unit but haven't used it yet. I haven't even plugged the end into the receiver either. I got it with the package and I plan on using it to tow a trailer for my bike if I ever need to take it into the shop or something. Also would be good for carring things that won't fit into the bed. Unless you look for it, you don't really notice it's there. I can take a picture and post it sometime if I get a chance.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:16 PM   #19
Baja Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo 10
Regetta Red Pearl

Quote:
you've had two baja's already??? wasn't 2003 the first year for it?
Yes i'm on my 2nd Baja and 2003 was the first year.I Got the same color Regetta Red Pearl.I got the auto this time.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:03 AM   #20
kx200
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Monterey Silver

My 2003 was a 5 speed and it shifted poorly and I never had a car stall as easy as that one. My kids gave it a name of stal-ly. Don’t even think of going off road, or backing up a trailer with out the auto. My turbo is much better with the auto.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:41 AM   #21
dave_t
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 legacy wagon
black

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Turbo
Yes i'm on my 2nd Baja and 2003 was the first year.I Got the same color Regetta Red Pearl.I got the auto this time.
did you just decide you wanted a turbo more than the regular baja? or were you forced to get a new one due to an accident or something?
Old 01-14-2004, 09:02 PM   #22
Baja Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo 10
Regetta Red Pearl

Quote:
did you just decide you wanted a turbo more than the regular baja? or were you forced to get a new one due to an accident or something?
I really liked my first Baja.And thought that was it.I started adding accessories and one day my brother said that i should'nt put all that money in it.He said ,who knows they might put the six cylinder in the baja,or Turbo charge it then you'll want to get that one instead.After that i could'nt wait to see what was coming for the Baja.Plus my other one was a stick,been driving sticks all my life.I wanted my next one to be an auto.I did'nt get an auto the first time cause i knew the history on Subaru autos.i worked for Subaru for 8 years back in the 80s.They had weak auto transmissions.Now Subaru has a spin on oil filter on the auto trans,which is the best thing you can do for a tranny and its covered under power train after reg. warranty expires.
Old 01-14-2004, 10:52 PM   #23
kx200
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Monterey Silver

Dave-t No it was like new, I only had 4000 miles on it. But when I test dove the turbo with the auto-stick it was just easier. In every day driving like on the highway you’re only in one gear anyway. I guess over the years I got spoiled on how easy shifting is on a dirt bike, clutch no clutch it doesn’t mater just click, click, click. If I ever get another stick it will be a six speed. What I couldn’t put up with is how easy it was to stall at the most inopportune time. If only Subaru would come out with a 6-speed auto or a Continuously Variable Transmission like Audi that would be cool, and while they’re at it 300 hp would be nice.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:01 AM   #24
mdchachi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 70725
Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Baja Yello

Re: the bed net and its "uselessness"
I was just looking at the bed net today. Haven't actually used it yet but why not use short bungee cords to extend its attachment points? Seems like the bed net could be used for taller loads then.
mdchachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:45 AM   #25
Hypernoodle
Scooby Specialist

Member#: 12391
Vehicle:
I did her 5 times
then 7 times, then 5 more

Bed net - I figured it would be useless and never bothered. No regrets yet. I just bought a pack of bungees and never gave it a second thought.

Vertical net - I'm considering getting this.

Moonroof deflector - I didn't think I'd need it, but this will be a "must".

bed extender - Haven't needed it yet, but we'll see.

seat heaters and remote start - SO glad I got these! Leave them flipped on "hi" when you leave the car, and when used with the remote-start, the car and the seats will be nice and warm when it's time to leave.

auto-dimming mirror - Highly reccommended. That compass is a nice touch, too.

splash guards - They came pre-installed, and in comparison to Bajas I've seen without 'em, they REALLY cut down on the snow-boogers in the winter.

Block heater - As stated previosly... not needed in the contiguous 48.

Rear diff protector - The "cruck" is strictly on-road, so no need.

Standard option wish list:
----------------------------------
3-passenger rear seat bench
bull bar or a brush guard
factory lift kit
Hypernoodle is offline   Reply With Quote