Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Classifieds > Private 'For Sale' Classifieds

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-18-2003, 01:10 PM   #1
jimqpublic
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 38155
Vehicle:
2004 ForesterXT Auto
Silver

Default SOLD! Forester Trailer Hitch

For Sale- Draw Tite Class II Trailer hitch model 36311 for all years and models Forester.

This hitch is rated for up to 3500 pound trailer and 300 pounds of tongue weight vs the 2000/200 rating for the Subaru hitch. It is the strongest-appearing hitch available in USA, and I looked at them all. When mounted it is very unobtrusive.

Detail and photos here: http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/me...ategory_Code=H

Installed once then immediately removed the same day, never used for towing or carrying anything. It fits fine with the XT's giant exhaust tip.

Price: $85 including shipping.
List price is $168, but I paid about $120 including tax and shipping.

If you live within an hour of Long Beach, California I'll deliver and install it for you for the same $85, or if you want to come pick it up, I'll sell it for $65 and still install it.

If you're just using the hitch for a bike rack the hitch is all you need. By the design it appears that this hitch will resist the twisting forces from a bike rack much better than the Subaru hitch. Subaru uses a flat plate to bridge over the exhaust, where this uses 1-1/4"x2-1/2" box section steel in the same area.

If you're going to tow a trailer you will need a drawbar, hitch ball, and wiring harness. Drawbar will run about $20, hitch ball $8, and wiring harness $35 from Etrailer.com or a local RV place.

To tow my trailer I wanted a sturdy hitch with 2" receiver, which isn't available in US. My proposed solution was to buy the strongest available hitch and have a 2" receiver welded on. The Draw-Tite appeared to be the best, I even went to the dealer and examined the Subaru hitch.

I ended up with a custom Class III hitch so I don't need this one.

Jim

Edit-
Sold to Mike McBride! That was quick.

Jim
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by jimqpublic; 12-19-2003 at 01:51 PM.
jimqpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 07:14 PM   #2
MZM
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 514
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
07 Legacy Spec B
Impreza 93 STI

Default hitch

Look for email.

Mike McBride
MZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
El_Cid_117
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 51402
Default Need a Class III Forester hitch

Jim,

I need a 2" hitch for a motorcycle carrier for my '04 Forester XT. I thought about the weld retrofit on a class II one like you did, but more importantly I need a tongue weight of 350, not 300. Do you recall if the 2" fit upped the tongue weight?

- Rich
El_Cid_117 is offline   Reply With Quote