Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-07-2004, 04:05 PM   #1
scoobyimprza
Scooby Guru

Member#: 24956
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1997 Impreza WRX
Steel Blue Mica

Default Brake Conversion

I'm gonna be doing an AWD swap soon, so I figured I would do some upgraded brakes too. I want to use something with good stopping power but that won't empty my pockets. I was thinking RS brakes in the rear and WRX brakes in the front? How does that sound. I think the swap has drums in the back right now. I know I can search to find out about the WRX rotors, but what about for the rear rotors? Any better options that could be suggested? Thanks.

Brent
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
scoobyimprza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:51 PM   #2
tbd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15322
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1995 gf wagon
Blue Green Metallic 340

Default i thought the rears on rs & wrx were the same?

your choice seems well placed for street & spirited driving. a good set of pads will do wonders. i put axxis ultimates (affordable) on wrx fronts, they have a nice initial bite , & immediately beg for better suspension.

tony
tbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:59 PM   #3
subiekid
Scooby Guru

Member#: 25516
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy TURBO!!!
EJ22T/TEC3 & '12 Civic

brembo rotors are cheap
subiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #4
scoobyimprza
Scooby Guru

Member#: 24956
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
1997 Impreza WRX
Steel Blue Mica

Quote:
Originally posted by subiekid
brembo rotors are cheap
Seriously? Are they better though?
scoobyimprza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:53 PM   #5
stimpy
Homicidal Maniac

Member#: 1612
Vehicle:
2008 STI

The rotors and calipers are the same for the RS and WRX. The calipers are also the same in the front, however the caliper brackets and the rotor are larger for the WRX. I'm currently running WRX brakes all around, but I have been told that the factory pads suck and should be dropped like a bad habit. I have no complaints. Bias seems to be pretty good, but I haven't driven the car aggressively yet. If you want to have a bias that is shifted rearward, then you can go with the Outback H6 rear brake upgrade which utilizes RS/WRX calipers, H6 caliper brackets, and an 11.4" rotor.

Typically, rotors are not the problem. The OEM rotors work well unless you are using really aggressive pads. If you are in the market for rotors then I would look towards DBA.

-Jon
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #6
Geoff
Warden of NASIOC Timeout
Super Moderator

Member#: 592
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
'08 X3 3.0si 6MT
'09 135i 6MT & '08 STi

Does anything need to be done to adapt the parking brake to work with rear discs when moving from rear drums?
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:03 PM   #7
stimpy
Homicidal Maniac

Member#: 1612
Vehicle:
2008 STI

Yes, you need the parking brake cables and the flexible brake lines from a rear disc-equipped car.

There is plenty of information available regarding the brake swap itself.

-Jon
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote