Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
Brooke
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 46254
Vehicle:
2005 Outback XT Wago
Blue

Default Lowering a Legacy BH driver seat

I own a BH (2002 Legacy GT wagon) and would like to lower the driver seat by at least 1" and if possible increase the height of my steering wheel. I am 6'-3" and the BH legacy with moon roofs makes for a tight cramped ride. The current Imprezas and last generation of Legacy's have at least 1" more clearance below the steering wheel and the head liner-is this strickly a function of the seat height? Note I read the thread about converting an OEM seat into a one with adjustable height, but this does not apply to my OEM seat with electrical motor actuated height adjustment. I have looked under the driver seat of my 2002 Legacy GT wagon and have notice that the front of the seat is actuated by a motor, which rotates two flat bar links from a central pivot rod that runs across the front end of the seat. The back end of the seat is actuated by another pivot rod with a flat bar lever arm link that is bolted to the bottom of the seat pan and rotates about the pivot almost 360 degrees. The lever arm moves via a push rod that is tied to a motor. Unfortunately, the pivot rod looks like it is right on top of the seat's rail track so I may not be able to lower the seat on the back end. I believe I can relocate the front pivot rod lower in the seat's side frames that mount to the rails as long as I have enough room--lowering my seat by 1" is my target elevation able to lower the seat. Does anybody have a techinical illustration of this motorized seat from the service manual? Has anybody put older model legacy seats in or any other seat (impreza or aftermarket) that sits 1" lower then the OEM seats?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:48 PM   #2
Brooke
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 46254
Vehicle:
2005 Outback XT Wago
Blue

After removing the driver seat pan with it's cushion last night it appears that the seat is made up of the following component layers: 1) the seat cushion, which is the seat cover glued to a 1" + thick molded foam rubber pad. 2) The cushion rests on a wire grid that is tied to the top-back end of the seat pan with small coil springs that run vertically and hook into the top edge of the stamped seat pan. Under this suspended wire and spring net is at least a 2" gap to the stamped pan below. It looks like the spring and wire net can be unhooked from the seat pan and filled with a dense foam that stops approximately 1" below where the spring net rests. The 1" void between the underside of the molded seat cushion and the top surface of this proposed new dense foam can be filled with light foam that will compress to virtually 0" under my weight and bounce back once I get out of the seat. Note; with the seat cushion and pan assembly removed, I placed a board on the bottom frame where the seat cushion bolts into and positioned the board height exactly 1" lower than the top of the OEM seat cushion and sat down on the board to see if this would give me the head and leg clearance I am looking for. And it does-my right leg no longer is pinned between the console and the side of the steering wheel (in fact with my right foot on the accelerator peddle I can almost sweep my leg under the bottom of the steering wheel) and my head no longer is jammed up against the head liner. I wonder if Subaru added the wire-spring net to the seat pans in the BH legacy's to give people who buy the outback version a more comanding/SUV view of the road. I know from experiance that the older generation of legacy and the current impreza model have 1" more of clearance between the bottom of the steering wheel and the top of the seat cushion (e.g. 13" as opposed to 11 7/8" for the BH legacy's). I can not imagine that subaru would redign a seat pan for the BH, all other Subaru's parts are interchangeable--a function of MFR economics. Does anybody know if the current model impreza's have a spring wire net supporting their seat cushions? If not, I would suspect that the impreza seat pan has a 1" layer of foam at the bottom, which the molded seat cushion rests on.
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote