Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-15-2004, 11:00 AM   #1
hatake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34811
Vehicle:
04 Baja T
Black

Default What color to get?

When I was trying to decide what color Baja to get, I had no way of seeing/imagining white. So to those who are contemplating white, but not sure how that looks, here they are:

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...61_12_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...61_13_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...61_14_full.jpg
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
hatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 04:48 PM   #2
dave_t
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 48729
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2002 legacy wagon
black

i actually like the white.... the only ones i have seen inperson though are 2003 granite black pearl and reggeta red.. and of those two with the silver cladding the black was best
dave_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:43 PM   #3
kimguroo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 50529
Vehicle:
2008 forester xt
red

One subaru dealer in dallas try to sell white baja turbo AT (looks like leather package) for $23990
There are many pictures in
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2454036286
kimguroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:45 PM   #4
Baja Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49744
Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo 10
Regetta Red Pearl

Quote:
Originally posted by dave_t
i actually like the white.... the only ones i have seen inperson though are 2003 granite black pearl and reggeta red.. and of those two with the silver cladding the black was best
Your right,the black does look good.My last ride before my Baja was black,hard to keep clean when you live on a clay road.And way to hot for Florida.
Baja Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 07:57 PM   #5
SouthShoreBaja
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 50658
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 2.5RS
Aspen White

I prefer the black, silver and that new blue color.
SouthShoreBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:06 PM   #6
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44810
Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

I've got the black and silver and I live in Florida. With the sunroof open to let the heat out when you first get in, it's not so bad. It does get dirty fast. I have found that a good coat of hand applied wax helps keep it clean longer. The spray on wax doesn't last as long.
braveit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:40 PM   #7
dave_t
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 legacy wagon
black

my old legacy was granite black too...it was more than a month before i noticed that there was red flakes in the paint and i dont know that i would hav enoticed if one of the mechanics at work said "man theres a lot of red in that paint" and the new legacy we're supposed to get is granite black too except we might not get it seeing as we havent sold the last one yet, this one hast arrived from the factory yet, and..... the '05's will be here in june
Old 01-15-2004, 09:49 PM   #8
cadillacjake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49969
Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black Granite Pearl

Default E-Bay Listing

Actually the Baja in the e-Bay listing is simply an automatic Baja Turbo without the Leather Package, as it has the gunmetal finished 5-spoke wheels. However, $23990 isn't a bad price as I ordered my 5MT Black Granite Baja Turbo for $23250.
cadillacjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 09:54 PM   #9
cadillacjake
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black Granite Pearl

Default White Baja

Lee Imports got a 5MT Baja Turbo (White/Silverstone) in about a month ago (still on the lot). It's not a bad look, but my wife's white STS shows every single bug it hits going down the road. Yet my dark blue Grand Cherokee shows nothing until I take it into the mud. That's why I went with the Black/Onyx. At least it'll hide the bugs (as much as that's possible in FL).
Old 01-16-2004, 08:39 AM   #10
dtesta
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52587
Vehicle:
2004 Bajo Turbo
Silver

Just purchased a Silverstone Metalic Turbo 5MT and although I would not go so far as to call the car attractive I think it looks good and contrasts well between the black bed and steel bars. We also liked the dark blue but decided against it because we live on a dirt road and don't have the time to detail a car. Paid 22587 of the lot with 8 miles on it. Was that a good deal?
dtesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:04 AM   #11
cadillacjake
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black Granite Pearl

Default Turbo Price

Well, I don't know what options came on it, but yes I'd say you got a great deal. I settled on $23,250 for my 5MT with the bed extender, auto-dimming mirror, and subwoofer. BUT, I have to wait for the thing to come in (which I'm hearing won't be till April!). I'm gonna have to put the fire to Lee Imports here and get them moving on it. Really shouldn't take that long to get a car. Hell, I can build one in less time!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:06 AM   #12
dtesta
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Bajo Turbo
Silver

No options at all so I guess we got about the same deal. Not many manual turbo's available in my area in silver (1 in a 3 state area) so considering that I guess I did OK. I just ordered a bed extender and need to decide on a locking top. Any thoughts on the pro's and con's of what is out there?
Old 01-16-2004, 12:05 PM   #13
cadillacjake
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black Granite Pearl

Default Bed Covers

There are two locking bed covers available. One by SnugTog seals very well and allows independant operation of the tailgate, but is a pain to remove. Penda sells a hardshell as well that doesn't seal as well and won't allow you to use the tailgate without opening the lid, but is easier to remove. Both work with the bed extender. Check out this thread:
Bed Covers
I know what you mean about it being tough to find a Baja-T in the color you like. I ordered mine because I didn't want to compromise the options and I didn't want one that had been thrashed by too many test-drives. There's only one 5MT Black Granite Baja Turbo inn the area now, and that's all the way up in Atlanta! Last I heard, SOA told Lee Imports here that it will be 12 weeks before I see my Baja! I spoke with the dealer and he thinks they're just full of it and it should be in under six weeks.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:56 PM   #14
dave_t
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 legacy wagon
black

it does take a while for subaru's to be delivered from the factory... the '04 legacy i metioned earlier was ordered in july and it still hasn't arrived!!!! the quickest way is to get your dealer to do a dealer trade but it may add more to the cost of your car or... it may not be able to be done, they need to have the same car you ordered to trade for the color you want
Old 01-16-2004, 01:01 PM   #15
cadillacjake
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black Granite Pearl

Default JULY???

Dear God, JULY??? I'd have shot someone by now! I'm working with SOA and the dealership to figure something out. Lee has a white 5MT in stock that maybe could be traded for Gwinett's black 5MT. If they can sort out the options and get it in at the price we agreed on, I'd be happy. But I think they plan on sticking me with the delivery fee for BOTH cars to d othe swap. Something screwy about paying almost $1K in destination charges!
Old 01-16-2004, 02:56 PM   #16
dtesta
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Bajo Turbo
Silver

Seems like a bit too much work to do just to buy a car but it is not a very popular model. They are even hard to find on a new dealers lot. I really wanted to purchase from the dealer I did the test drive with and was willing to pay a bit more to do so but they could not get me the color I wanted. I used Subaru's inventory locator, found the car, made the deal over the phone and then drove out and picked up the car. Did anyone test drive the forester or Outback before buying the Baja? If so how did you feel the performance, ride and handling compared? I did not walk into the Subaru dealer expecting to buy anything but was blown away by the above in the Baja but unimpressed by the the Legacy, Outback (2.5) or Forester - even in turbo. For us the vehicle was the perfect blend of function and fun.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:15 PM   #17
BajaBratBoy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 51555
Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black Granite Pearl

I read some where that they are making only 2000 Baja-Turbos. When I bought mine, they only had a AT instead of a 5sp MT. I test drove that and a FXT 5sp to get a feel of the 5sp tranny. Then I drove 300 miles to get the my Black Turbo 5spMT. Signed the paper work, then drove it off the lot.

The Baja turbo is a little less then the WRX 2.0L and lots less then the FXT. That makes it the best bang for your buck!!!

Last edited by BajaBratBoy; 01-16-2004 at 04:36 PM.
BajaBratBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 05:45 PM   #18
SouthShoreBaja
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 2.5RS
Aspen White

Quote:
Originally posted by dtesta
Did anyone test drive the forester or Outback before buying the Baja? If so how did you feel the performance, ride and handling compared? I did not walk into the Subaru dealer expecting to buy anything but was blown away by the above in the Baja but unimpressed by the the Legacy, Outback (2.5) or Forester - even in turbo. For us the vehicle was the perfect blend of function and fun.
I used to be an area manager for one of the larger rental car companies and had been driving Legacy Sedans, a few Forresters, and a ton of Outbacks for awhile.

I went to my local Subaru dealer that has a good reputation and had a used Legacy GT Wagon. I always wanted a Legacy GT. I test drove the Wagon and didn't like how the previous owner had treated it within one minute of driving off the lot. So we came back and told the saleswoman we were going to look around more.

I asked, after i'd already browsed the lot, if they had any new GT's in stock. She said they didn't/hadn't in awhile. I had just totalled my prior vehicle and had finally received my check from the rape err insurance company and was going to buy that weekend. From the start i knew that this saleswoman knew far less about Subaru's than i did, which isn't a surprise in most cases. But regardless, she was nice to deal with and i saw no reason to go trekking to dealer's with less of a reputation.

I didn't want an Outback or the then non-turbo Forrester from having driven them all too much through work. In the showroom they had a black Baja on display. It was the first time i'd seen one up close since they came out a few months before. I got into it and the seat was unbelievably more comfortable than the Outback and Forrester. I asked what they had available right now. They had the yucky yellow, a black 5MT(which was out because the wife doesn't drive stick and i can do without) and a silver AT. I asked to test drive the silver and it was great, i was sold. It was actually the owners ride for the past week and had a little under 100 miles on it.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:16 PM   #19
cadillacjake
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black Granite Pearl

Default Delays, delays

I spoke to SOA today and they say that the delay is due to the fact that yes, only 2000 Baja Turbos will be made. And since they will be in such short supply, it may take some time to get one delivered.
I still think this is Subaru working hard to condemn their own product. They didn't advertise or promote the Baja last year or this year for that matter. Then they wonder "why aren't they selling?". I seriously doubt that there will be an '05 Baja if this trend continues, which is too bad. The '05 Lecgacy GT's 250 HP turbo would have been an even better pick for the Baja, combined with the '05's refreshed styling, this would be one heck of a ride. But this may be lost if SOA doesn't get their collective a**es in gear.
Old 01-16-2004, 09:23 PM   #20
dave_t
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 legacy wagon
black

the dealer trade is not that much work.. atleast not around here.. they dont tend to do them as much with the japanise car as we did with chrysler and GM.. most of the work is done over the phone we did one a few weeks ago for an altima and the dealership was closed they just told us where the keys were we parked our gold one and took their smoke one and drove back home (smoke is a new nissan color for '04 take a look at one if you get a chance i love it it's a dark grey not black and not silver)
Old 01-16-2004, 10:00 PM   #21
cadillacjake
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black Granite Pearl

Default Dealer Swap

I guess these guys swap the cars around with trailers so that once they get to the new dealerships, the don't have the extra mileage on them. I might just have to work a deal with Gwinett myself and head up there to pick it up. Not sure how I get my $500 deposit back. But the dealer here's pretty sure that subaru's just a little screwed in the head and that the Baja will be here before April.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:19 AM   #22
hatake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34811
Vehicle:
04 Baja T
Black

$500 deposit, if the dealer is honest, should not be charged. Yes, you are breaking a preagreement (buy it from them, so they ordered it), but now effectively they will perform NO SERVICE for you at all. How can anyone charge money for something they didn't do? If their reputation is worth something, then they should shrugg their shoulder and give you the money back. If not' I'd spread words that the dealer STOLE your money - again, you break the agreement, but they didn't deliver the car (I'd put down the deadline if I were you). Why don't you ask SOA advice? Also work out with others and get $500 off of your purchase? You go that far to buy a car from someone away from you - the dealer should love you for that... I'd suggest you phone Gwinett and get your goody now! I believe Porter is from Gwinett and tell him to read on this thread. Even if you lose 500 bucks, 4 months wait may cost you more - you could (sorry, but) wreck your trade-in car, you could burst tires costing you 500, you could... Not to mention missing the boat load of driving fun for 4 months.

By the way, 2000 unit was confirmed back in December. Let's see if SOA makes Jan goal...
hatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 09:37 AM   #23
cadillacjake
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black Granite Pearl

Default Waiting

Tell you the truth, I don't mind waiting a bit. I'd rather get one fresh off the truck that hasn't been put through the wringer by every test driver who comes along. We've got a few projects around the house to attend to so a few months of no car payment might be nice. Besides, if I wreck the Jeep (trade-in), I'll get more for the insurance than I will for the trade!
Old 01-18-2004, 04:43 PM   #24
Baja Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49744
Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo 10
Regetta Red Pearl

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthShoreBaja
I prefer the black, silver and that new blue color.
I went to the dealer today to see a mystic blue pearl baja.Man does that color look sharp.I wish now i would have waited and got the blue instead of the red.I was wanting to get one with a solid color,besides silver.They need to do more solid colors or make it an option to get two tone or solid.
Baja Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 06:34 PM   #25
SouthShoreBaja
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 2.5RS
Aspen White

Yeah the blue is sexy, but it came out late in 2003 so it wasn't around when i bought mine.

As far as the dealership and $500 refund. If i were that dealership, i would gladly refund it and hope that you'd come to me for future service, being a pain in the butt and refusing to refund would guarantee that i'd never go back there to browse, much less use them for service.