Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday October 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
New England Subaru Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-19-2004, 07:36 AM   #1
Siper2
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1134
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2007 BMW 328xi wagon
Silver

Angry Oh great. On top of the CEL, now I have squealing.

My poor car.

First I get a CEL, well over a month ago, that has yet to go away.
I've lost count of the trips to Exeter that I've taken. Brian and Mike in Parts told me they should've got me my own La-Z-Boy to put out back. It's a "piston 4 misfire" and so far, here's the tally:

- Got CEL, assumed it was plugs/wires. Was overdue. Bought new ones. Went to install, found oil in sparkplug chamber.
- Replaced valve gaskets. Put new plugs/wires in.
- CEL returns. Exeter says I need a new coil. Replaced it.
- CEL returns again. Same code. Reset light. Take off CAI per Exeter's request. (Doubt that's it, but I'll humor them.)
- CEL is back. Replace fuel filter per my request, that was overdue as well. Clear light.
- Guess what? CEL returns yet again. Dropping car off today.

Brian's theory is stuck valves. I'm going to due an injector cleaning service. After that I'm not sure where to turn.

Two days ago, though, I noticed that at idle, I hear a whine/squeal from the engine. Revving a little makes it stop. (Drive belt??)
Driving to work yesterday morning, the squeal starts about 3/4 of the way there. Worse when I turn right. Stops when I turn left.
I'd think another wheel bearing's gone, but why would it do this at idle?? (When I blew my right rear bearings a few months ago, it only did the nasty squealing noise while driving/turning.) Sometimes it seems to come from the engine... sometimes it almost sounds like the REAR. (Differential??)

That and my whole gas canister, highway bumper-hole incident.
I can't handle this anymore. Plus I have to still pack to move...

-Chris
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Siper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
paultg
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 437
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
'91 Miata MX5 (Red)
'09 Impreza OBS (Blk/Gry)

Sounds to me like a power steering pump, or a power steering pump belt is slipping.

FWIW:
With the cold temps the PS pump/fluid on my Van froze last Friday, and would scream bloddy murder in the really cold temps until the car warmed up. This weekend it was fine though.

I don't think PS fluid is designed for these sort of temps.

Paul G.
paultg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 07:57 AM   #3
Snowphun
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 1800
Vehicle:
WRX /Cooper S/Miata
awd/fwd/rwd

Quote:
Originally posted by paultg

FWIW:
With the cold temps the PS pump/fluid on my Van froze last Friday, and would scream bloddy murder in the really cold temps until the car warmed up. This weekend it was fine though.

I don't think PS fluid is designed for these sort of temps.
I had a similar situation last week where I would hear a light groan when turning the wheel to the left (but not right). Interesting idea regarding the fluid.
Snowphun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:03 AM   #4
paultg
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 437
Vehicle:
'91 Miata MX5 (Red)
'09 Impreza OBS (Blk/Gry)

Well,
I should also disclose the fluid in the Van has ~125K miles on it, and is original from 1993 as far as I know.

I'm sure it has lost some of it's properties to prevent freezing, etc..

Paul G.
paultg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #5
Siper2
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2007 BMW 328xi wagon
Silver

Paul,

Good suggestion. It's actually something I briefly considered, believe it or not, but I didn't think that could be it, if I wasn't turning the wheel. (Which I'm not when it does it at idle. It does seem that the car has to warm up some before it does it, though. And yesterday it didn't do it at all, on the way home.)

I know it could start happening at any time, but what baffles me is why it didn't do this when it was holy-frickin-cold out, several days ago. It started I think when the weather went to like 30.

How often should p.s. fluid be swapped?
Old 01-19-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
FletchMY98
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6395
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STI
Steel Grey Metallic

CEL: A stuck valve is easily diagnosed with compression and leak down tests. A bad injector is pretty easy to diagnose from spark plug readings and OBD scanning.

Squealing: Just sounds like a loose belt to me.

Chris
FletchMY98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 10:48 AM   #7
Siper2
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2007 BMW 328xi wagon
Silver

They ran a compression test, everything was perfect. So I guess the injector thing is next, I don't know. I looked back through my service records and I don't think it was done on my 60k service, so maybe that's due, as well.

(I've now officially pieced together all the things that make up a 90k service, albeit not at once. So I think that's all done... Except perhaps brake fluid. The tranny fluid I hope to swap when I do my new clutch.)

Squealing: Yeah it might be. Hopefully it'll reproduce when I get there.