Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-20-2004, 01:44 PM   #1
the spacecowboy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 765
Default engine is going, need options

i found out today that I am in serious need of a engine....

My question for you conversion people are what kind of swaps can I do that will bolt in for a 00 Impreaza 2.5 RS....i would like to get a turbo motor, but if all else fails, i'll just have to find me another 2.5 RS...

thanks,
space
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
the spacecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 02:36 PM   #2
the spacecowboy
Scooby Newbie

better yet...i have a specific question...

will a 2003 WRX engine bolt up to a 2000 2.5RS?

another thing, the WRX is a 5speed and the RS is a auto...will the 5 speed bolt up in place of the auto?

thanks,
space
Old 01-20-2004, 04:25 PM   #3
stimpy
Homicidal Maniac

Member#: 1612
Vehicle:
2008 STI

Hit the FAQ man. This has been covered a gabillion times.

If you still have questions, then ask away.

-Jon
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 04:36 PM   #4
the spacecowboy
Scooby Newbie

i did hit the search engine and I have been asking companies and people about it...but I havent' gotten no definate answers....

So far I got that it will bolt in the 2.5 RS with min. mods (fuel, wiring, etc...) but I've been hearing that I should get a WRX crossmember...from what I hear, its so that the Up pipe will fit...I would like to know if I can just modify the up pipe and make it work that way?

also, I'm got that I'm going to need a new differential.....I dont know whether its because the 5 speed manual I am going to put in it won't fit that differential since its a auto or if the ratios are different....can't seem to clarify on that...if worst comes to wost, I'll just keep my auto tranny and just install the motor...

anyhow, I'll keep searching too...but if anyone can answer
these for me, please do....

Thanks,
Travis
Old 01-20-2004, 05:01 PM   #5
imprezaclipse
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 47103
Vehicle:
2000 2.0rs,04 usdm
blue ridge pearl-sold

Whats going bad on your engine? Just curious cus mine spun a bearing and threw a rod at only 103k. I started a thread at rs25.com and I'am not the only one that had there rs go boom earlier than expected. I'am now in the process of swapping in a 2004 usdm wrx engine. Your best bet is to get rid of the auto if you decide to swap however.
imprezaclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:03 PM   #6
imprezaclipse
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 2.0rs,04 usdm
blue ridge pearl-sold

Quote:
Originally posted by the spacecowboy

So far I got that it will bolt in the 2.5 RS with min. mods (fuel, wiring, etc...)
Trust me, the wiring is not a "min." mod.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:36 PM   #7
the spacecowboy
Scooby Newbie

lol...thats what I heard....

what all is involved with the wiring if you can enlighten me some more

thanks,
space
Old 01-20-2004, 07:44 PM   #8
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

yeah, for ease of installing I would say to do a turbo engine block swap and a turbo kit. If you want though go ahead and do a EJ20 swap. Be warned the wiring on this is a huge chunk. Majority of the hours for the install go to doing the wiring.
Also depending on what is wrong with your engine you may just want to rebuild the internals with some performance ones.
Take it easy, Micah
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:00 PM   #9
the spacecowboy
Scooby Newbie

For the price of this engine and tranny, I can't really beat it....and I can't really buy performance internals, rebuild for less then this....

Now I'm hearing this about the wiring but so far, none of you's told me what the reason for the big time spent on the wiring is? If the car came with the ecu and you buy the wiring harness to match that, where is the time being spent on? On top of that, if you all have the wiring specs i would love to have them....

thanks,
space
Old 01-20-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
imprezaclipse
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 2.0rs,04 usdm
blue ridge pearl-sold

I have pics here,http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthrea...threadid=12308 Remember,only a few wires come out of the ecu and directly to the engine,these are simple plug and play,BUT lots of wires come out of the ecu and go else wheres. Thats about where I am at with my swap
Old 01-20-2004, 09:38 PM   #11
imprezaclipse
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 2.0rs,04 usdm
blue ridge pearl-sold

Quote:
Originally posted by the spacecowboy
On top of that, if you all have the wiring specs i would love to have them
Ya me too!! You will soon learn that stuff is like top secret info,copyrighted bla bla bla.......I even called my local subaru dealer if I could come down and copy there pages out of there manuals.......Nope!!! "thats not public information"..smucks....
Old 01-20-2004, 09:40 PM   #12
the spacecowboy
Scooby Newbie

so subaru made the WRX wiring system different? I can see the wiring being different too the engine, but I didnt expect it to be different for wires going elsewhere in the car...oh my....

also, what year is your engine from?

Thanks,
space
Old 01-20-2004, 09:42 PM   #13
imprezaclipse
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 2.0rs,04 usdm
blue ridge pearl-sold

Old 01-20-2004, 09:45 PM   #14
the spacecowboy
Scooby Newbie

ok...I have a question, is the crossmember neccessary or can one just alter the uppipe to make it fit?

also wont changing the cross member change the position of the engine or does it keep the engine location at the same place?

thanks,
space
Old 01-20-2004, 09:46 PM   #15
imprezaclipse
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 2.0rs,04 usdm
blue ridge pearl-sold

I think I might go down to the old subie dealer anyways and try the "this is the last subaru I will ever buy if you don't let me copy the damn manuals" speel.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:48 PM   #16
the spacecowboy
Scooby Newbie

lol...dont those chilton manuales have diagrams in them? or there has to be someone on the board that has them...

thanks,
space
Old 01-20-2004, 09:48 PM   #17
imprezaclipse
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 2.0rs,04 usdm
blue ridge pearl-sold

I've heard of altering the cross member itself not the pipes and yes it keeps it in the same place.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:51 PM   #18
imprezaclipse
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 2.0rs,04 usdm
blue ridge pearl-sold

Chilton never made an impreza manual let alone one for a 2004, and yes some members do have them but sharing seems to be a problem for them.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:52 PM   #19
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

the 02 WRX you can get from i-speed...the manual for your car be ready to print off about 150 pages from where ever you go...same if you are printing off the 02 WRX one...
i thought you were going to show the two harnesses verging together...the shot that actually shows the harness...not bundled up and looking pretty
Take it easy, Micah
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:56 PM   #20
Matt Monson
Scooby Guru

Member#: 832
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5RS, '85 911
'73 914 and 2012 BRZ

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=481465

Top sticky on this forum. Fourth post in the thread...tells you exactly where to get the manuals to download for $20. You will want more than just the '02 one you can get from I-speed. You will also want the one for the car to be re-wired...
Matt Monson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 10:05 PM   #21
imprezaclipse
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 2.0rs,04 usdm
blue ridge pearl-sold

Old 01-21-2004, 02:03 PM   #22
stimpy
Homicidal Maniac

Member#: 1612
Vehicle:
2008 STI

You don't even have to keep searching. Most of this information is covered in the FAQ itself. It will save you a bunch of time if you will just read it.

Quote:
Originally posted by imprezaclipse
You will soon learn that stuff is like top secret info,copyrighted bla bla bla.......I even called my local subaru dealer if I could come down and copy there pages out of there manuals.......Nope!!! "thats not public information"..smucks....
Come in to the dealership with the wrong attitude (or if they are just unwilling to work with you) and you will not get the diagrams. I had pages copied out of the manual on numerous occasions, but definitely not entire sections. The information is public domain, it just may not be accessible through the dealer's personal shop copies. Heck, you can buy the manuals from them. Just keep in mind that what you are asking is similar to asking to photocopy a small novel.

The crossmember is needed. Go find one. Either a USDM WRX, JDM WRX, or Legacy Turbo will work. It is a structural member of the car so hacking it up would not be the brightest idea in the world.

-Jon
stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:07 PM   #23
the spacecowboy
Scooby Newbie

i got the crossmember for the conversion...all i need is the harness....and most important...the time...

thanks,
space