|01-20-2004, 07:06 PM||#1|
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denver, COVehicle:
Used magic carpet
Dynoed @ 999 camel power!
?'s for xephyr!
Hey xephyr, I don't know if you remember me or not but i'm a friend of Mark Ringleman & Jon Cox they call me Skit.
First off my tranny is going bad and quick. It started with a loud tranny bearing, then the syncros started going. I can't shift from 1st to 2nd at high rpms without getting some sort of grinding, so I know that I need to have Ringleman rebuild it! Anyways here are my questions.
1. When I have Ringleman rebuild it is there any kind of upgraded syncros that would be worth putting into the tranny? Also if there is, where would be a good place to purchase them from! I've heard some people on this forum talk about some kind of syncros similar to the ones found in the STi that fit in my version tranny!
2. Right now my car is a 96LX Impreza with a stock 2.2 motor. The turbo is a tdo4 running 6-8psi. In the near future I plan on putting in a 2.2 turbo block or the 2.5 STi block and turning the boost upto 15 or so psi. Will the tranny hold this? Considering that last time I changed the clutch it was to the clutchnet 6 puck ceramic disk and lightweight flywheel that Ringleman and Jon got from you. This setup seems to grab way harder than the organic clutchmaster disk that I used before!
Sorry this post is so long I just figured if I was going to ask, I better explain some about the car.
Thanks for any info you would provide for I know you are a very educated subaru mechanic/fanatic. Also thanks for the clutch disk and flywheel, you saved my bacon. And congrats on the RS, that is the sickest suby i've ever had the pleasure of riding in! It must be WAY SICK now with the 2.5!!!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
|01-21-2004, 03:07 PM||#2|
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Evergreen COVehicle:
1998 2.5 RS-T
1. I'm not too familiar with upgraded/interchagable info on the stock synchro setup. I started blowing synchro gearboxes long ago, when the only option was going to a dog box, which is what I did. From your description however, it sounds like you definitely wore out your second gear synchros. If this is a high mileage tranny, you might try running some exotic synthetic gear lube with some kind of detergent cleaner, and change it around 2 or 3 times within 10,000 miles to try and flush out any crap which is stuck in the scynchros. More than likely, this won't work if your synchros are really worn out.
2. The clutch setup you have is made to hold the power. The higher HP goals you describe will surely blow your tranny over time. Especially with a clutch that will hold it. I've seen tons of people try to convince themselves that they can drive 'gently' enough to make the stock tranny work. The problem is that once your power level gets to certain point, it is impossible to resist the temptation of unleashing it! It only takes a few incidents of shock loading the tranny to cause damage. The tranny might not break at the instant, but the damage is already done, and failure is inevitable.
|02-12-2004, 07:59 PM||#4|
Join Date: May 2003
Location: East Kingston NHVehicle:
DIY project: life
I need more TIME!
5 speed gearset
I have heard good things from these guys. Austrailian's know thier **** about impreza's ...chalak gearset for the us 5speed manual. People say it is noticably louder then stock...like verry noticable. but its STRONG as hell. you will snap your driveshaft before your gears go! and it has SYNCROS
you can get it here www.imprezars.com/chalak.htm
or search ebay or something
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|?'s for those with Whiteline Springs and AGX Shocks||IowaRS||Brakes, Steering & Suspension||8||12-01-2001 08:58 AM|
|CruWRX's sterio-a few ?'s for CruWRX||Scoobie Newbie||Canada Region Forum||13||11-30-2001 06:19 PM|
|gear ratio ?'s for a 4EAT||supersubee||Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline||3||11-30-2001 01:39 PM|
|?'s for Prodrive P1 wheel owners...||RSarte||Brakes, Steering & Suspension||9||09-17-2001 07:46 PM|
|They REALLY need to offer H.I.D.'s for the WRX||Brahmzy||General Forum Archive||51||01-12-2001 07:38 AM|