Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-29-2004, 06:51 PM   #1
Baja Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49744
Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo 10
Regetta Red Pearl

Default Sport lights

Who says the Sport Lights are useless.I figured out how to use them going down the road,with no extra wiring or anything like that.Sometimes at dusk when driving i like to run my parking lights without the headlights.So playing around i found out if you pull up the hand brake (engine running or key on) the daytime running lights go off.So then i tried just pulling it up 1 click and the lights go out and the emergency brakes were not engaged.So i figured the Sport Lights work off this switch also.And they will work the same way,the only draw back with turning off the daytime running lights or turning on the Sport Lamps is you will have the brake warning light burning.If you can over look this light,then you can run the Sport Lights or turn off the running lights,its that simple.I'm waiting for darkness so i can adjust mine and then go try them out.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Baja Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 12:31 PM   #2
Peloquin
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41307
Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Regatta Red/Silver Stone

That trick was actually published in a review of the Baja. It was reprinted in the "best of press" brochure that was released for the Baja.

A cool discovery though either way.
Peloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
Baja Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo 10
Regetta Red Pearl

Quote:
Originally posted by Peloquin
That trick was actually published in a review of the Baja. It was reprinted in the "best of press" brochure that was released for the Baja.

A cool discovery though either way.
Oh,Ok i missed that one,i just heard from some people that they were useless because of the way you have to use them,Thanks for the info.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:44 PM   #4
SouthShoreBaja
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 50658
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 2.5RS
Aspen White

It must be different in FL, but in many states its illegal to have Sport/Rally lights on while driving on state/local roads. So i've said they're useless in previous posts for this reason.

If you're driving your Baja in backcountry non-gravel roads that are exclusive to off-roading then yeah, they're great to have. But i'd said they were useless in response to someone's questions as to what people thought about all the accessories that we have as options for the Baja.

If you don't/aren't going to drive off-road and/or your state has the same laws against them then there's no point in having them other than adding wind noise.

Also they aren't as effective as aftermarket hood systems for off-roading.
SouthShoreBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 10:34 PM   #5
Baja Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo 10
Regetta Red Pearl

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthShoreBaja
It must be different in FL, but in many states its illegal to have Sport/Rally lights on while driving on state/local roads. So i've said they're useless in previous posts for this reason.

If you're driving your Baja in backcountry non-gravel roads that are exclusive to off-roading then yeah, they're great to have. But i'd said they were useless in response to someone's questions as to what people thought about all the accessories that we have as options for the Baja.

If you don't/aren't going to drive off-road and/or your state has the same laws against them then there's no point in having them other than adding wind noise.

Also they aren't as effective as aftermarket hood systems for off-roading.
Its illegal here also,its even illegal to drive with the covers off the lights,But nobody enforces it.I don't notice the wind noise with the stereo on and with it off i don't notice that much more noise either.If you want to take them off its just 2 bolts 1 connector quick and easy as with aftermarket they become a fixed part thats not easy to remove.Plus you don't have to run wires or drill holes.For me i like the factory lights for fit and installation,off and on mobility.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:13 AM   #6
cadillacjake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49969
Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black Granite Pearl

Default Lights

OK, so it's technically illegal to use them in traffic. But hey, so are your high beams. As far as anyone's really concerned, as long as you turn them off when traffic approaches, throw on as much lighting as you want, turn day into night! Although I personally prefer a pair mounted on the bumper or on a brush guard (now if they'd just send one to the States!). Don't get me wrong, the Sport Lights look good, but they're less than aerodynamic and WAY too expensive for what you get. I'd rather get a set of aftermarket lights for less than $100, wire them to the original switch pod in the dash, run a relay to work them with the high beams, and go from there.
cadillacjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 10:16 AM   #7
cadillacjake
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black Granite Pearl

Default Where Did You Get Your Baja-T?

Hey Baja Turbo, what dealer did you go through to get your Baja? I'm still sticking with Lee Imports here in Ft Walton Beach. Did you go through them or Koby over in Mobile?
Old 01-31-2004, 06:18 PM   #8
Baja Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo 10
Regetta Red Pearl

Quote:
Originally posted by cadillacjake
Hey Baja Turbo, what dealer did you go through to get your Baja? I'm still sticking with Lee Imports here in Ft Walton Beach. Did you go through them or Koby over in Mobile?

Hey Cadillacjake,I got both of my Bajas from Koby Imports.Lee Imports sales people don't seem to know the product they are selling and they have low trade in values.Iwent to lee first and they were taking to long to tell me what they were going to give me on my motorcycle that i was trading with my truck.So i went to Koby and came home with a Baja.I sent a friend to Lee to get a baja and they pissed him off when they told him what they would give him.I called up Koby and he told me that he would give them $ 4,000 more than Lee and said they may be able to go higher but they need to see the car.I've worked in dealerships all my life,Koby Imports is a different kind of dealer. The owner and his staff treat me like family.The owner,Roger Koby has always been there when i showed up at his dealership. At most dealers you got to go through channels just to see the owner,at Koby Imports i chew the fat with the owner every time i go to his dealership.The place i work at now we deal with Lee Imports for our Subaru parts.I've bought all my accessories for both of my Bajas from Randy in parts.They seem to be real good people. Roger Koby said the new seven pass.car was going to be called a 5+2 with no other badging but the star logo.I don't like that new front end,i think Subaru is screwing up with that look. Maybe i'll see you on the road.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:08 PM   #9
Baja Turbo
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo 10
Regetta Red Pearl

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Turbo
Hey Cadillacjake,I got both of my Bajas from Koby Imports.Lee Imports sales people don't seem to know the product they are selling and they have low trade in values.Iwent to lee first and they were taking to long to tell me what they were going to give me on my motorcycle that i was trading with my truck.So i went to Koby and came home with a Baja.I sent a friend to Lee to get a baja and they pissed him off when they told him what they would give him.I called up Koby and he told me that he would give them $ 4,000 more than Lee and said they may be able to go higher but they need to see the car.I've worked in dealerships all my life,Koby Imports is a different kind of dealer. The owner and his staff treat me like family.The owner,Roger Koby has always been there when i showed up at his dealership. At most dealers you got to go through channels just to see the owner,at Koby Imports i chew the fat with the owner every time i go to his dealership.The place i work at now we deal with Lee Imports for our Subaru parts.I've bought all my accessories for both of my Bajas from Randy in parts.They seem to be real good people. Roger Koby said the new seven pass.car was going to be called a 5+2 with no other badging but the star logo.I don't like that new front end,i think Subaru is screwing up with that look.Do you know of a subie club in our area or would you like to try to start one? Maybe i'll see you on the road.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:00 PM   #10
cadillacjake
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black Granite Pearl

Yeah, I haven't even discussed trade-in of my Grand Cherokee, although I may just keep it and try to sell it outright (heck, it's paid for). I just don't have a whole lot of cash to substitute for it as the down payment.

As far as the dealership goes, I've actually had an OK experience as of yet. Joe in Sales is the only one I've dealt with so far, but seems like a nice enough guy. But yes, I find that a lot of the time, I know the car better than he does. Kinda funny, actually, it seems to happen a lot once I start researching a car (like this one). I had all the numbers down to such a science, that when I started making offers at Lee and Koby, I was telling them the cost vs retail prices of the various options, and settled on $23,250 with ZERO haggling. The only hitch I've had has been brought about by myself. I wanted a car that was fresh off the truck that no one like myself had taken out and flogged to death on one test drive after another. So I ordered mine almost a month ago and should be in soon. SOA says expect to see it in April, but I think they're given themselves a cushion to keep from pissing me off. We'll see.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
Alpha Wolf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 140505
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
Pearl Blue

Question More info/questions

Well as to cost now you can get these for less than $100 on Ebay. A sight auctions these off new in the box. I got mine for $70. New in the box manuals and instructions.

Besides the e-brake trick, I would like to be able to turn these on when moving because I do drive off road 30+ miles up to my buddies ranch and frequently I do not get there or leave until after dark and I must avoid cows, pot holes etc and I want more lights.

So is there a way to kill the switch that controls the DRLs and prohibits the sport lights from functioning while moving? I do not intend to use them when on the street.

Thanks.
Alpha Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
JLBaja
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 137951
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 Baja Turbo Blue
Phat Botti Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Wolf View Post
....So is there a way to kill the switch that controls the DRLs and prohibits the sport lights from functioning while moving? I do not intend to use them when on the street.
Check out this thread...http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ght=drl&page=2
JLBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #13
Alpha Wolf
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 140505
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
Pearl Blue

Talking

Thanks JL Baja!