Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday May 6, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-03-2004, 07:11 PM   #1
Rheddog
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44178
Default Baja B-Post integrity

Just tried to unsucessfully cut thru 03 Baja b-post on driver's side,(car wreck). Does anyone know if this is reinforced or have a pretensioner in it?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Rheddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 05:04 PM   #2
MissingMyRS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 28262
Vehicle:
2003 Baja
NOT YELLOW!!!

I can't speak for the possibility of a pretensioner being located in the b-pillar, although, to hazard a guess, if it were located within, it would be near the base. I suspect, however, it's just an auto locking retractor (hope that's the correct term), and nothing with a charge.. I believe there's an online guide out there (may be fee based), for first responders that contains this info. I'll take a look tonight and see if I can find it.

With regards to the integrity of the b-pillar, I recall reading somewhere, a few years ago, that the b-pillar of last generation 4 door Imprezas contained a segment of a boron steel alloy that tied into the roof. I would think most extrication equipment, but not all, would have some trouble making it through. I know the Baja doesn't share with the Impreza design wise, but I'd be willing to believe Subaru incorporated the material in several models. (Same material, for instance, BMW puts into the 3 series covertible windshield frame)

If you don't mind me asking, would you take a minute to describe the nature of the collision the Baja was involved in, the condition of the occupant(s), and what extrication ended up being done?

Aside from being a Baja owner, I'm also an EMT.. as well as somebody who walked away from a 6x rollover in one of the aforementioned last generation Imprezas. The c-pillars did crush approx 3-4 in, the a-pillars also a bit, but the center of the roof, above the b-pillars maintained it's height. If you'd like pics, just PM me.

Thanks.. hope that helps.
MissingMyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:34 PM   #3
Rheddog
Scooby Newbie

This was a Baja that skidded thru vegetation and rocks on the driver's side for approx 100 feet. Not a complete rollover, but needed to remove roof. Ended up just removing driver's and rear driver's side doors. Modified the dash and left most of the roof on after all. The B pillar was figured to be reinforced, but had to try it anyway. The driver was non-critical, the vehicle handled the energy better than one would have expected. A lot of damage to plastic outer body cladding, the passenger compartment was barely intruded into.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:19 PM   #4
Samirr76
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4835
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2003 Baja 5MT
Yellow w/ 220,000 miles

pics?
Samirr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 06:43 PM   #5
MissingMyRS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 28262
Vehicle:
2003 Baja
NOT YELLOW!!!

I too would be interested in seeing a few pics of the Baja.. but anyless any happened to be taken at the scene of the collision Rheddog is discussing.. we might not be able to get any.

I've talked about my accident in another post some time ago, but basically the car struck road debris with the front left corner at aprrox. 70mph, which caused it to rotate approx. 180 degrees, whereupon the back end collided with the end of a guardrail. It endo'ed once, the rolled, 5 and a half more times. Following that, it sailed, upsided down, into a ravine, and collided head up (still upside down) with the opposite side/bottom.

I'll see if I can find a place to host a few pics, probably later tonight.
MissingMyRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 02:43 PM   #6
Rheddog
Scooby Newbie

True, there was no pics taken at the scene, but it would be inappropriate for me to post them anyway...Like I said, the damage was significant to the trim and the car is likely a total. Neither airbags deployed, which may have been due to the left sided impact. The front was also badly banged up. We're going to a local junkyard next week to cut up the newest Subaru we can find...to try to not be frustrated by such a stout b-post in the future.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:48 PM   #7
Rheddog
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb Baja B pillar stuff

After a couple of years and after responding to a few more Subaru crashes, I found the answer and details that explain the strength of the B Post. There's an article in FIREHOUSE magazine, December 2005 that examines Subaru B post design in detail. The post contains lots of reinforcement steel as well as Boron and a rebar section that make it almost impossible to cut through. Better just to cut around the top of the section at the roof...
This also explains why in my experience, Subaru drivers seem to fare better in crashes than drivers of some other cars out there.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
memphisjames
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41835
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2006 Bitchin' Baja-T
Black on Black!

Someone posted that Firehouse magazine article somewhere on this site a few weeks ago. The cross section of the b-pillar they showed looked pretty strong.
memphisjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
bajabob
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 73236
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Baja Yellow

here's the link to the forum it's talked about in-
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Bob