Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday July 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Outback Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-12-2004, 05:29 PM   #1
Backroadoutback
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 54911
Vehicle:
2000 Outback Wagon
Green/Gold

Default Outback Lift?

I own a 2000 Outback Wagon. I have used it for traveling the back roads in the mountains of Virginia, but the underside is getting torn up. Has anybody installed the Scorpion lift kit for this car with good success? Is handling affected? Does the lift affect tire wear and driveline durability?

Maybe I should get a jeep? Maybe the Outback isn't really for the outback?

Concering the Scorpion lift kit. $1200 plus seems a little on the steep side for 4 springs and a few 50mm lift blocks with bolts????

Any input is welcome.

All torn up.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Backroadoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
BusHonk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 31720
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2003 Ootback
Silver

while I'm not using the scorpion kit, nor am I in a 2000 wagon, but with my 2" lift, I haven't had any reason to complain about any degradation of handling. Granted, I'm not taking the car to any trackdays, but for normal around town driving, and on longer road trips, it handles as well as my last legacy (95 wagon) at stock height.
BusHonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
Cao Cao
*** Banned ***

Member#: 40685
Vehicle:
2003 H6-3.0 Wagon
Titanium Monotone

Default Re: Outback Lift?

Quote:
Originally posted by Backroadoutback
I own a 2000 Outback Wagon. I have used it for traveling the back roads in the mountains of Virginia, but the underside is getting torn up. Has anybody installed the Scorpion lift kit for this car with good success? Is handling affected? Does the lift affect tire wear and driveline durability?

Maybe I should get a jeep? Maybe the Outback isn't really for the outback?

Concering the Scorpion lift kit. $1200 plus seems a little on the steep side for 4 springs and a few 50mm lift blocks with bolts????

Any input is welcome.

All torn up.
I know a few guys over at my site that do a lot of offroading with their OB's and I'm sure they could help you out or point you in the right direction. One thing you might want to consider is getting a new 2005 OB when they come out seeing as how they will have just less than 9 inches of ground clearance as compared to your OB with only 7.3 inches. I'll ask them and see if they'll come here and try to help you out or you can come to my site and check it out for yourself.
Cao Cao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 09:03 PM   #4
Backroadoutback
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Outback Wagon
Green/Gold

BusHonk, how did you do your 2 in lift? Just curious.
Old 02-16-2004, 12:56 AM   #5
outback_97
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 30874
Vehicle:
0897 OUTBACKS
and 2003 TS wagon

Backroad:

Search is your friend
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ghlight=lifted

Bushonk:

Yeah, what kind of lift do you have? I'm wondering myself, thanks.

Steve
outback_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 11:33 AM   #6
Backroadoutback
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2000 Outback Wagon
Green/Gold

OK, I can see how the 2" body lift will not affect the steering geometry or the axle shaft angles, but what about the replacement springs or struts? It seems to me they would increase camber and thus increase tire wear. Anybody here done a lift and can answer this question?????
Old 02-16-2004, 01:11 PM   #7
outback_97
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 30874
Vehicle:
0897 OUTBACKS
and 2003 TS wagon

Backroad:

Maybe contact the guy in the above posted link that has done it, see what he has to say? You're looking for people that have actually performed this mod, there you go, you've got one. Send him a PM. Or don't, it's entirely up to you.

Also see here for a couple of reviews:
http://www.subarureview.com/showreview.php?id=27

Steve
outback_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:58 PM   #8
BusHonk
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 31720
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2003 Ootback
Silver

Default clarification...

so I'm not using the full kit (springs/blocks), though the springs are the scorpion 2"ers... I haven't noticed any uneven treadwear on my tires, and can't report any noticeable problems having them on. I did have a good friend install them, and he's got plenty experience and time to tinker, so I'll check to see if there were any out of the box problems that he resolved for me.

'shonk
BusHonk is offline   Reply With Quote