Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 26, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
HereWeGoMagic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 434810
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STi
Black

Default 2015 STi CEL P0616 Starter Relay Circuit Low

Alright, I consider myself an expert Googler but I've researched for hours to no avail. My next step is bring my car into Best Buy to check out. Figure I'd try here and see if anyone has had the same issues:

12/12/2015 - I had a remote starter installed in my car by Best Buy. The CompuStar RSG6-AL to be exact. Of course, they installed a manual bypass as well.The description on this remote start says it has a built-in turbo timer, but my car only runs for about 10 seconds after removing the key and locking the car before it shuts off. I tried CompuStar's directions for turning off the Turbo Timer, but it didn't work, so I'm assuming it's not activated.

06/28/2016 - Had my buddy do some work on my headlights, including installing Demon Eyes and RBG Halos. The switches are under the hood latch near the fuse box. An add-a-fuse was put in for this. My buddy noticed there was a CEL on and took it to O'Reilly but they couldn't clear the code.

06/29/2016 - I get back in town and get my car back from my buddy and take it to the dealership. They run the code and find out it's a P0616 for Starter Relay Circuit. They are slammed so I need to make an appointment.

07/01/2016 - I unplug my negative battery terminal for 15 minutes and it clears the code. Later that day, the code re-appears.

07/05/2016 - I take it into the dealer to clear the code. They say that every time they clear the code, it comes back and that it's due to the remote start turbo timer on the car and that I'll need to take to Best Buy to handle it otherwise they'll charge me.

07/06/2016 - Not really related but figure I'd list all potentially relevant information. Installed full oem upgrade kicker tweets/mid/sub/amp as well as a rear fog wired to the rear fog button on a forester bezel which I swapped out.

07/10/2016 - UPDATE - took my car to Best Buy, it was the same tech who did my original install. He found nothing wrong on their end. Then he spent probably an hour searching online and found some posts here on NASIOC talking about needing to reflash the ECU.

07/18/2016 - UPDATE - I went back into Best Buy with an appointment and was going to have them disable my turbo timer but the tech said there is no turbo timer and he just removed the remote start unit and the fuses and the manual bypass, which i think he needed to re-splice or something, not sure exactly. Anyways, his code reader was broken so he couldn't clear the code and I didn't have a chance to swing by Autozone, but I tried disconnecting the negative terminal to reset ecu, but it didn't work. I also noticed my factory alarm doesn't work now. Lastly, my TPMS sensor is on, but this could be coincidence since I haven't added air to tires lately.

07/19/2016 - UPDATE - Since my alarm wasn't working I have to unlock my car with the key; when going to my car on my break, I put the key in the door and the alarm went off... but my fob and my spare fob don't work and I had to disconnect the negative to get the alarm to turn off.

07/20/2016 - UPDATE - Took my car to Best Buy and had them completely remove the remote start. Everything in my car works and operates as it should. The only issue is the CEL code. I tried Advance Auto today and had the guy try clearing the code for me but the code says 'Permanent'. Taking car to dealership next week when they have an opening unless anyone has an idea on the problem.

Last edited by HereWeGoMagic; 07-20-2016 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Still no clue what's wrong...
HereWeGoMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #2
HereWeGoMagic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 434810
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STi
Black

Bump, edited
HereWeGoMagic is offline   Reply With Quote