Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 3, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
ferrari355
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 144246
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
White

Default P1410 DTC Looking for Cause

Hello,
This past Friday I started my 2006 WRX TR, began to drive, and the Check Engine Light came on.

I retrieved the codes with my AccessPort (currently running Stage 1 93oct. w/ Cobb Intake and Heat Shield). The DTC's were:
P1410- Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Open
P2442- Secondary Air Injection System Switching Valve Stuck Open (Bank 2)

That day was the first cold day we have had in the area ~50 Fahrenheit. I reset the ECU using the AP. Drove the car 4 more consecutive times with no DTC's but little time for the engine to cool. The 5th time I started the engine the car was sitting long enough to be a true cold start. I checked the codes again and found just one. The code present was P1410, after driving long enough for the engine to reach operating temperatures, I reset the ECU, and the CEL did not come on till the following morning during a cold start.

Today I hooked up my laptop and using FreeSSM (ver. 1.2.5) with the test connector connected, I ran a Systems Check on the Secondary Air Combi Valve 1 & 2, along with the Secondary Air Pump. I couldn't get the checks to complete but I did notice that when testing the Valves, I could hear a faint clicking in both instances and I heard the Secondary Air Pump run.

I unhooked the test connector and started the car. Following the procedure outlined in the Subaru Manual for using a Subaru Select Monitor for Engine Diagnostics (Normal Mode), I compared the values on my car to the values listed in the Manual. I found the following:
-Secondary air combi valve relay 2 signal= OFF (Concurrent with the Manual)
-Secondary air pump relay signal= OFF (Concurrent with the Manual)
-Secondary air combi valve relay 1 signal= OFF (Concurrent with the Manual)
-Secondary air flow signal= 0.00 g/s (Concurrent with the Manual)
-Secondary air pipe pressure signal= 98 kPa (Spec in Manual= 102 kPa ~.5PSI)
The pressure difference was the only parameter out of spec..

I reset the ECU using FreeSSM. The P1410 DTC came back upon starting the car. (Go figure!?!? The problem didn't fix itself!!!) From what I have read from various sources, both of the Secondary air combi valves are well noted for either sticking open or closed due to moisture that develops in the Secondary Air Pump (especially on 06's and 07's). The common and cheaper fix seems to be using block off plates as opposed to replacing the valves which may stick again.

I am 100% not convinced it is the Secondary air combi valve (Bank 1) that is stuck open. Mostly because at first the DTC's reported both valves stuck open, then the valve on Bank 2 did not throw a code after a ECU reset. Apart from corroded valves, I read that a leak in the system's hoses could also be at fault. There was a lower pressure in the system when compared to the manual, albeit a very slight decrease.

Has anyone ran into a similar situation? I wasn't aware of these problematic valves, until I had the P1410 DTC, so I am not 100% sure on my diagnosis. I rather not waste time and effort hunting down a secondary cause when it may be the obvious, a corroded valve. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!
ferrari355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
subyforest
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 456460
Vehicle:
2011 Forester

I am not at all familiar with the valves you speak of, but are you able to swap the valves and see if the problem moves with the valve?
subyforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
ferrari355
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 144246
Vehicle:
2006 WRX TR
White

Hi Subyforest,
The valves are in a difficult position to get to. If I was going to attempt to swap them, at that point it would be easier to remove them and use block off plates. Thank you for the suggestion.
ferrari355 is offline   Reply With Quote