Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Outback Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-20-2004, 02:48 PM   #1
pgrated
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 41665
Vehicle:
2003 outback wagon
Regatta Red

Default cabin air filter in 2003 OB

I was just wondering how to get to the cabin air filter behind the glove compartment (I assume that's where it is). I can't even see how to remove the glove compartment itself without ruining something.

Thanks!!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
pgrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:32 AM   #2
rdmnks
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 47493
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy Outback

I just removed the glove box on my 99 Legacy Outback Wagon last weekend. I had leaves in my blower that were making a loud noise. I posted a thread under the legacy forum a few days ago about how I did that. I did notice that there is a cabin air filter in a plenum to the left of the blower. If you remove the blower you can reach in and feel the filter. I tried to see if I could remove the filter but could not figure out how to take the plenum apart. I removed all the screws in the front that I could see but still could not get it appart. It appeared it was bolted in the back near the floor. I can get you most of the way there. Maybe someone else can get you through the last steps.

Regards,
Rich
rdmnks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R Lim
Azurite Blue Pearl

Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
pgrated
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 outback wagon
Regatta Red

Dear Peaty,

Thank you for the info. Like the post says, it looks like a PITA to get to. I have not tried it myself yet, maybe this weekend.
I think I remember reading some people actually bought filters for home air conditioning systems from Home Depot or wherever and modified them to fit in the filter opening for the cabin. But it would be good to have the OEM part to use as a template first so that it can be cut to the proper dimentions.
I also found it interesting how dark the old filter was in such a short period of time.
I will probably attemt it over the weekend. Thanks for the help.

Paul
Old 03-09-2004, 02:54 PM   #5
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R Lim
Azurite Blue Pearl

Happy to help,

Heightstown? I lived there for quite some time when I worked for General Foods back in the 80's
Old 03-10-2004, 07:21 AM   #6
rdmnks
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 47493
Vehicle:
1999 Legacy Outback

It's amazing that the manual indicates that this filter should be replaced about once a year. This job is such a pain to do that I can't imagine anyone sticking to that recommended service schedule. Thanks for the link to the thread with the pictures.

Regards,
Rich
rdmnks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:22 PM   #7
pgrated
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 outback wagon
Regatta Red

Peaty,
Actually, my mailing address is for Hightstown, but I actually live in Washington Township. I guess Its because we don't have our own post office in town so we have to rely on Hightstown's. I've been here since about 1993. My wife is a native of the area. She also went to Peddie in town. It's a bit different from where I grew up in northern NJ, but I like it a lot. Unfortunately, they're planting a lot of houses on large pieces of farm land instead of crops reducing a lot of open space. I'm sure if you came back to the area, you would probably not recognize the area.

Yeah, I agree with Rich, sticking to that service schedule is really questionable, unless I guess if you or someone else smokes in the car.

Thanks again!!
Paul
Old 03-11-2004, 11:55 AM   #8
pgrated
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 outback wagon
Regatta Red

I have another question regarding this filter. My '03 Outback does not have the filter at this time. Is it just a matter of installing them or is there a special kit that needs to be put in first??

Paul
Old 03-13-2004, 10:41 PM   #9
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R Lim
Azurite Blue Pearl

you just install it is all, once you have the glove box out that is. Mine was strange, when I went to replace it there was only one of the two parts installed from the factory, not sure how that happened...
Old 03-14-2004, 02:23 PM   #10
pgrated
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 outback wagon
Regatta Red

Thanks Again Peaty!!
I will be working on it later this week. This weekend got too busy with other stuff.

Paul
Old 03-22-2004, 01:22 PM   #11
pgrated
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 outback wagon
Regatta Red

Well, I put in the cabin air filter just last week, and just as you said Peaty, it is a bit of a hastle to get to. My concern is that if you do this at the recommended interval of every year, will it stress out any of the parts on the glove compartment enough to have them break especially repeating it every year?? I just can see over time and heat building up in the car that it dries out the parts enough to cause something to break, like those pins that hold the glove compartment in place. (or even the side walls of the glove compartment itself; pushing on them to get the pins out).
I guess only time will tell.

Paul