Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
PeterJ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 14727
Vehicle:
2002 impreza RS

Smile Newbies: Front brake pad job on 02 RS is easy

First off Advance auto parts has the wrong pad listed for our cars. They have the 02 wrx pad listed for the 02 rs, but the 03 wrx and 02 rs are the ones that are the same. So basically they dont carry a replacement for the front of an 02 RS. Thats a bloody shame since they are only 20 bucks. Pep boys doesnt have anything..
So, I went to the dealer and was a little dissapointed to pay $80 for replacements, but the kit includes the whole sha' bang. So in the end, it really wasnt that bad and next time I'll buy stuff like this ahead of time.
Im not sure if all of the clips and shims really do need to be replaced, but they cost $50 alone and they already come with the oem kit. So I did it since I had them.

The job was very straight foreward and easy. Remove two bolts, slide everything out, assemble the new pads with the anti-rattle goop and shims, snap the new clips into the caliper braket, and load in the new pads.
Pushing the pistons back into the caliper was the only part that involved more than ordinary hand tools -but a C-clamp is a good thing to have anyway. I used an old pad and two clamps to squeeze the pistons back into the caliper evenly.
If your e-brake light has ever come on and you topped of the master cylinder tank with fresh fluid, then it will come squirting out when you push the pistons back in as I found out.

Anyway, this was my first brake job (36k miles) and I figure that a mechanically inclined person can do it in an hour, provided nothing is broken or rusted to hell. If you can change a tire, air filter, and oil then you'll be fine.
The clips that go into the caliper bracket act as wear indicators to tell you to get off your ass because your brake pads need replacing. If you hear scraping while backing out of your driveway, then its time to get your hands dirty.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
PeterJ is offline   Reply With Quote