Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-04-2004, 12:41 AM   #1
will667
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3175
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
PSM

Default oil change for sti

my sti is ready for its first oil change. i didnt see anything in the owners manual about using synthetic. is that what i should use?

thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
will667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 01:27 AM   #2
cnk
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10757
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
DGM

You can use whatever you want. . .just make sure it's the same weight, i.e. 5W30. Different thought processes regarding when to switch to synthetic though. . .I waited until 10K. . .others did it their first oil change. It's up to you. Just make sure that after you make the switch, you don't go back and forth.

Calvin
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:13 AM   #3
will667
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3175
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
PSM

thanks for the advice
will667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
nicrfe1370
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52292

If switching back and forth from synthetic to non-synthetic was ever inappropriate, it no longer is. I know old habits die hard, but I've never heard a plausible explanation for this one.
Also, mixing viscocities is not a problem these days. Many Subaru owners have done both of the above mentioned deeds, with no ill effects. I have seen used oil analysis reports from these vehicles, so it's not just an alternate version of junk science I'm spouting!
I don't mean to contradict everything cnk says, but I want to try to dispell rumor and myth.
Virtually any oil with an API SL rating will do just fine for daily use in a Subaru, with 3000 mile, or even 4000 mile oil change intervals. If you want top performance, longer drain intervals, or both, a synthetic is your best bet. If you want more oil knowledge than you can shake a stick at, cruise on over to http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi
nicrfe1370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 05:13 PM   #5
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

I would let the motor loosen up on regular oil for 7-8k miles before putting syn oil in it....especially with an easy 1k mile break in.
Too many stories of high oil consumption in engines broken in easy and switched to syn too soon.

And, yes there are many differing opinions but I know that some engines don't use oil and some do....mine never have.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote