Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-24-2004, 05:47 AM   #1
vidusdei
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 51281
Vehicle:
1997 Impreza 2.2
Green

Unhappy Broken hub = new axle? :(

While trying to get at my brake pads this weekend, I guess I must've taken a little too much torque to one of the nuts and the hub popped right off. After much swearing, I consulted my friend who was helping me with the brakes. He said that I'd probably need a whole new axle.

This is why I hate Goddamn Pep Boys (who I will refer to as The Idiots from this point on) and their half-assed approach to auto mechanics. The Idiots and their impact guns must've tightened it too much and didn't use any kind of lube.

What's worse is that the Idiots wore out another one of the hubs, so the nut keeps spinning. With two non-functioning hubs, I'm pretty sure that the car is a bit less than safe to drive right now.

But, I digress... I guess my question is this: do I need a new axle? If so, how much would it run me?

EDIT: It's a 1997 Impreza 2.2L Wagon.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
vidusdei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

I'm confused, here....what broke/came apart??? Which 'nuts'? The big one in the middle that is on the end of the axle?
I think you may be disassembeling the wrong things for a brake change.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:14 PM   #3
dunk
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15359
Chapter/Region: MAIC

I am also confused as to what broke. If you're doing brakes, the only two bolts that need to be touched are the bolts that hold the caliper to its support bracket.

Are you talking about the wheel studs. If a stud is stripped, it's a pretty simple matter to replace one, and does not involve a new hub and / or axle.

Duncan
dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:51 AM   #4
vidusdei
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza 2.2
Green

No no, we already fixed the brakes. Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology... I found (and doctored) this image at the scoobymods forum to better explain the problem.

#1 of the 5 "pegs" (for lack of a better word) completely snapped off while I was trying to remove one of the nuts.

"Peg" #3 is worn to the point where one of the nuts will spin forever if I try to tighten it.

Perhaps someone could also enlighten me as to the industry terms for these things?
Old 02-25-2004, 05:59 AM   #5
vidusdei
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza 2.2
Green

Default Yes, that's it...

Quote:
Originally posted by dunk
Are you talking about the wheel studs.
Yes, that's exactly it. I'm such an idiot...

The studs are the problem. One is broken altogether and the other is worn, and therefore useless.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:05 AM   #6
DrD
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22412
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Legacy 2.5GT
Ice Silver Metallic

Default Re: Yes, that's it...

Quote:
Originally posted by vidusdei
Yes, that's exactly it. I'm such an idiot...

The studs are the problem. One is broken altogether and the other is worn, and therefore useless.
You should have looked harder on Scoobymods when you grabbed that pic - wheel studs are replaceable. Here is the "how-to" thread on scoobymods

link
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:20 PM   #7
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru

Member#: 16200
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Don't overtorque them....70ft-lbs is good. You may as well replace them all, or as many as you can because if there are 2 bad ones the othres are probably gonna go too.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 06:19 PM   #8
vidusdei
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1997 Impreza 2.2
Green

Talking

Mucho thanks, everyone. I'd probably be looking at a serious wallet killer at the dealership without you all.

I just hope the same procedure applies for the 97 model (the howto is for 02-04). Once again, thanks a bunch.