Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > General Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-21-2000, 08:54 AM   #1
jasony
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1238
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1996 Explorer XLT
Red

Cool Clutch shudder? don't use the clutch!

So I finally got the balls to try shifting the RS without the clutch last week. It is soooooooo easy! I have probably done it about 50 times now, and only heard a little grinding one time yesterday... even second gear is easy! It's nothing like any other car I've tried to shift like that.

So anyway, the cooler weather we've been having is bringing back my clutch shudder. This morning, I still had to use the clutch for first, but I slipped into second, third, and fourth without it until the car had warmed up... Just a temporary solution until I can take the car to the dealer and try to get a new clutch. I am waiting for the cooler weather of fall so that there's no way they will miss the shudder.

I also raised my tire pressure from the subaru reccommended 32/29 to 35/32. Man, that feels a lot better, even with RE92's.

Uhh, enough rambling...

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-21-2000, 09:14 AM   #2
Sean
Scooby Guru

Member#: 518
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
762 PGT Impreza L,
Silverado EXT, Yaris

Yeah, the clutchless shifting novelty gets old. I've got a lemon throwout bearing that blew at 5k miles and took 15k miles for my dealer to acknowledge. After the throwout bearing blew, I was doing clutchless shifting for a few weeks. The novelty quickly wore off...but it's good to know that it can be done.

Regarding pressures, I run 34/31 with Pirelli Vizzolas instead of 32/29 with RE92s. It gives me a much firmer feeling on the street, especially with the adjustable rear sway bar.

Trunkmonkey is here! Vinyl windshield banners and decals now available!
Sean Sosik-Hamor < sean@trunkmonkey.com >
Epinions Automotive Reviews by `Sean
Dmoz Subaru Index by `Sean

[This message has been edited by Sean (edited August 21, 2000).]
Old 08-21-2000, 09:45 AM   #3
jasony
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1238
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
1996 Explorer XLT
Red

Hmm... actually now that I think about it I was running 33/30 for a few months... Until I rotated my tires this weekend and then I guess it was 30/33... Whatever...

The car felt a lot more controlled through corners after raising the pressure yesterday. But there's still one corner I need to try that will tell me if it improved my grip. It's an exit from the highway where theres a two-lane left turn into a 6 or more lane street... If the light turns green as I'm at the beginning of the ramp, I take the ramp at about 60, hit the braks right before the left, and make a quick (35-40) turn... (sliding accross a few lanes when it's raining...) Only when there's no traffic in my way of course... I like it because it has the two lane buffer to slide into if I screw up. I just better hope there's never a cop waiting at that light...

"My brakes went out officer! The only thing I could use was the hand brake, and try to slide through it!"

I'm such a goofball...