Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday September 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Forester Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-05-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 42249
Default External Tranny Cooler

I can't seem to find anything on this subject. We have a tow hitch on the FXT to tow our jetski (roughtly 400pds w/ trailer). I know this isn't a huge load, but we may take it out of state from time to time (hilly roads). Would it be a good idea to add one? If so, does anyone have any recommendations or a write up.

We'll never try to tow a boat with the FXT but it is possible we will get a bigger jetski one day. Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ForesterXT04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 06:27 PM   #2
Slimey
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 42487
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2008 STI
Dark Gray Metallic

The FXT auto already has an external tranny cooler incorporated into the radiator.
Slimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Yeah, but I am wondering if an external one would help keep things cooler.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:48 AM   #4
ducktapeguy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 24353
Vehicle:
2001 Forester
Silver

I just posted a long writeup but for some reason lost it. I'll just give you an extremely condensed version

1) it can't hurt to get one. $50 for a new tranny cooler, or $2-5k+ for a new transmission.

2) B&M cooler. More durable than the tube and fin type, more efficient, and some other cool features.

3) Disconnect the return hose from the stock cooler (passenger side of radiator, I think), cut new hose to connect external cooler, cut new hose to connect external cooler back to tranny. Mount cooler to front of radiator (or other location) Really easy

if I have time I'll try and repost what I wrote before or if you have more questions I'll answer them later.
ducktapeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 08:11 AM   #5
Bobshere
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49835
Vehicle:
2004 Forester 2.5 XT
White

I'd like to see the details! (more on the B&M you suggest, best way to mount). Subaru Australia has an external tranny cooler sold as a Forester accessory by the way. We in USA don't get that, for some reason.... Having had plenty of tranny problems with the Explorer I sold to get my FXT I'm well aware of the value of an external AT cooler!

Bob
Bobshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 03:52 PM   #6
ducktapeguy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Forester
Silver

Okay, lemme try and repost what I had before. I think I posted something on subaruforester.com too, along with some other people's opinions, but I'll give you the summary of what I learned so you don't have to search all over

1) Get a cooler if you're worried about your tranny. It's cheap insurance compared to a broken tranny. There were some concerns that it might not be necessary, or even harmful to overcool the fluid, but I highly doubt that it's possible too overcool it, and from what I understand the worst that will happen is that the torque converter won't lock up in fourth gear, or it'll just take longer to lock up until the fluid gets up to temp. Not much of a problem unless it's really, really, cold. From doing a lot of research on the web, this is what I came up with.

1. the ideal fluid temperature for the tranny is somewhere in the 175-195 degree range, depending on the fluid and what site you believe.

2. For every 20? degree increase in temp, the fluid life is cut in half.

3. The temperature of the radiator is somewhere in the 180-200 degree range.

4. After some hard driving or towing, the fluid may reach 250+ degrees (some sites claim up to 300 degrees).

so it's pretty obvious that you'll never get below the temperature of the radiator, and most likely if you're trying to cool 250+ degree fluid with 200 degree fluid in the radiator cooler, it's not gonna get anywhere close. So that was my reason for getting it, and from seeing the transmission on a previous cars go bad, I know how much it cost to fix them.

2) I chose the B&M cooler for a few reasons. One, it's supposed to be more efficient for the size. Something like 30% more cooling for a similar size tube and fin. Two, they are a lot more durable than the tube and fin, you can throw large rocks or small hammers at it all day without worrying about it (maybe a little bit of an exagerration, but not much). Three, supposedly their design allows the fluid to bypass the cooler until it gets up to temperature, sort of a self regulating type of thing. I don't know if any of the claims are true, I have no way of measuring, but I wouldn't doubt them. The main selling point for me was the durability, I know it's definitely a lot beefier, that i can tell just by looking at it.

3) As far as installation, the only thing you have to decide is where to mount it, and whether to put it in parallel or series with the stock one, and if you put it in series whether you put it before or after the stock cooler. There are different theories on what's best, but I chose to put it in series after the stock cooler, that seems to be what most of the other people do too. And I mounted it in front of the radiator where it's the most efficient, and also it's the easiest to access. I briefly thought of putting it in between the radiator and AC condenser (it would've fit) but after looking at how hard it would have been to install, I chose the easy way out. Installing it is really simple, just as I outlined below. Couple of hoses and a couple of plastic ties. There's enough room to route the hoses around the radiator to the front without cutting anything. Oh yeah, I mounted mine with the hoses facing down, and I was worried that I would have air trapped inside the cooler. But I called B&M and they said not to worry, that when I start up the car the air should automatically be purged when the fluid starts pumping in. If you're paranoid, just mount it with the hoses facing up or mount it vertically with the input to the cooler at the bottom.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:13 PM   #7
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

^^^

Thanks duck!

Do you have any pics of the install? I'd really like to see some that show where you installed it and how.

Which one did you install, 16k GVW or 19k GVW?

Last edited by ForesterXT04; 03-06-2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:34 PM   #8
Whoooosh
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 54476
Vehicle:
2004 Foresterxt auto
Cayenne Red

Default External Tranny Cooler

Does anyone know how to purchase the Australian Cooler that Subaru uses on the Aussie Foresters? Has anyone put A temp gauge on the tranny yet? TNX
Whoooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 12:07 AM   #9
ducktapeguy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Forester
Silver

Now that I have a new digital camera, I actually do have pictures I can show you guys, but I don't have a place to upload them. I just snapped a few this afternoon, I can e-mail it to whoever wants it. just gimme your e-mail, maybe someone can post them for me.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:21 PM   #10
Bobshere
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Forester 2.5 XT
White

Knowing about that half life of tranny fluid with temp increases is the thing that motivates me most -- aside from the transmission problems I had with my Explorer. Peaty's ScoobyMods might be a good place to put up your pictures and installation tips/instructions (if you'll take the trouble to write them out).

For starters, please email me the pictures and whatever else you have (which model cooler you bought, etc.)

annelyse@pwaccess.com

THANKS!

Bob
Old 03-07-2004, 02:23 PM   #11
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R Lim
Azurite Blue Pearl

We are happy to have people contribute mods and info to our site. Please feel free to put the pics here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/for...?s=&forumid=67

and we'll move the thread to the proper place. You can attach one pic per reply. If you can limit the pic size to 600X800 for our dial up people. I can edit them to size if you like.
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 06:50 PM   #12
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by ducktapeguy
Now that I have a new digital camera, I actually do have pictures I can show you guys, but I don't have a place to upload them. I just snapped a few this afternoon, I can e-mail it to whoever wants it. just gimme your e-mail, maybe someone can post them for me.
duck,

Please email them to me:

HotShot2002@nc.rr.com
Old 03-07-2004, 09:55 PM   #13
ducktapeguy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2001 Forester
Silver

Default pictures

Pictures are here. Just posted them.

http://www.subaruforester.com/viewto...?p=20906#20906

Peaty, if you wanna take them for the your website, go ahead. I didn't give a very detailed writeup, but once you have the cooler it's pretty self explanatory.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:04 AM   #14
xt2004
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52316
Vehicle:
2006 STI MY06
Silver

this is what Subaru Australia offers as an option, not very big, about the half the size the guy fitted below his light
http://subaru.com.au/accessories/ima...642_48_lrg.jpg
xt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 09:31 AM   #15
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

duck,
Thanks for the pics and...

Quote:
Which one did you install, 16k GVW or 19k GVW?
Old 03-08-2004, 01:01 PM   #16
jimqpublic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38155
Vehicle:
2004 ForesterXT Auto
Silver

He used the 16000 pound GVW model (5-3/4"). I'm going with the 19,000 pound model due to the higher power output of the XT.

I would go with the 24,000 pound one if it would fit! (There's room, but getting it in would require lots of disassembly.)
jimqpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 01:13 PM   #17
Bobshere
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Forester 2.5 XT
White

What are the (inches) measurements of the Suby .Au cooler? Is it series or parallel ? Can you get a copy of the mounting instructions for it (it looks like it comes with holes for a mount in a specific place) or else tell us what those instructions say?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 03-08-2004, 02:05 PM   #18
xt2004
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52316
Vehicle:
2006 STI MY06
Silver

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobshere
What are the (inches) measurements of the Suby .Au cooler? Is it series or parallel ? Can you get a copy of the mounting instructions for it (it looks like it comes with holes for a mount in a specific place) or else tell us what those instructions say?

Thanks,

Bob
Don't know how big, the dealer fitted it, it's a warranty requirement when you get a tow bar fitted, its only A$170. It's fitted to the Left side on top of the other radiators. As far as I can tell its about 5 inches wide and sort of the height of the other radators. I will checkit out more when I come back from Cebit Germany end of March.
xt2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 02:48 PM   #19
Bobshere
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Forester 2.5 XT
White

The B&M cooler for 16k lbs (smallest they make) is:

#70255 SuperCooler 16,000 GVW 11"x5-3/4"x3/4" . Could someone measure the .au cooler to see how much smaller it is?
Thanks. Bob