Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > 'Old School' Subaru Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-06-2004, 02:10 AM   #1
mase17
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 56698
Vehicle:
???? Subaru GL
Red

Default Need Help With my car

Ok I have a Subaru GL that I just got in really good condition. I dont have a pic but I have A site with the exact same car except the car in that pic has a huge lift on it but other than that mine is the same. I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what year it is? And have any of you heard good things about this car? Also, It is an automatic, Would I be able to switch it over to a standard? If possible how much trouble would it be to do that and how much would it cost? And, what are the largest size rims I could put on it?.
I will appreciate it if all you guys and girls out there could awnser these questions
the site with the car exactly like mine is http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/382308
Thanks again!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
mase17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
Flowmastered87GL
WCSS Drunk

Member#: 8914
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Sport
Regal Blue Pearl

If yours looks EXACTLY like that, then its an 86.

If it has the black bumpers like that, but has the mirrors mounted ON the door and not the little triangles up by the window then its an 85. If it has body color/black bumpers then its an 87-89. (87's have a 2 spoke steering wheel with the spokes at 5 and 7 0'clock and 88+ have em at 3-6)

If it has black bumpers of another style and has automatic seat belts and rear shoulder belts its a 90-94 Loyale

Also the little VIN badge inside your drivers door jam SHOULD have a production date. late into a year (12/84) for example dictates its probably of the next year (1985)

Oh, and my date pertains to US spec models, not sure where you are at.

And yes you can convert it to a 5 speed dual range transmission. You need the transmission, cross member, pedal assy and some linkages, and the console and stuff.

The largest "subaru" wheels you can get are 13 inches. Peugeot makes rims from the 504 and 505 that come in 14 and 15 inch sizes.

Also 6 lug rims from nissan/toyota pickups will fit IF you drill out 2 holes in the rim (take an extra brake drum with only 2 studs in it. Bolt this assembly to the 6 lug rim. As you will see the 2 lugs match up, however the other 2 holes meet just steel on the wheel. Proceed to drill them out and then put the rim on your car. )

check www.ultimatesubaru.net for more discriptive procedures. There are lots of people there with lifted rigs and modified rigs (we have done the tranny swap there, but I havnt' personally)
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote