Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 25, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
Xav_Dude
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 200268
Vehicle:
2011 WRX wagon
silver

Default WRX 11 trailer hitch wiring

So I see that Curt and Reese only propose powered module hitch wiring for WRXs as they need a direct wire to the battery. They claim it's needed so that the module doesn't drain power from the existing lighting circuit.

Is this really needed? Or just a nice to have? The reason I'm asking is that these powered modules/converters are more expensive and make installation a bit longer/complex. If everybody tells me that a regular non-powered converter will work fine and that it won't cause a significant power drain then I'll just go ahead with this one.
Xav_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Midway
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 275609
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2012 WRX STI Sedan

Default CURT T-Connector #56061

I haven't hooked a trailer up to it yet, but wanted to comment on installation. I have read a lot of folks don't like installing it under the car. I have a 2012 WRX STI Sedan, and I opted for a little more professional installation.
First I removed all the trim out of the trunk, rear seat cushion, and the door/floor molding on the left/drivers side of the car. I ran the power wire in in the wire loom trough that is on that side, and through a small grommet behind the driverís side door. Then, under the fender and into the engine bay. From the grommet to the door the power wire is covered with split wire loom. In the trunk, I routed the right side wire under the plastic truck threshold trim, covered it with split wire loom and zip tied it on each side to the body under the plastic between the clip holes, and xmas tree holes.
It all turned out cleaner than under the car, and wonít get snagged on anything.
Midway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
LAPTOPER
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 337646

I installed the Curt powered brake light convertor. As far as I know, you need a powered convertor. It wasn't at all to get a wire to the back - I ran a separate wire right along where I hid my wires for the subwoofer. I spliced the power wire to a fuse under the dash so that it only turns on with the ignition. Hope that helps!
LAPTOPER is offline   Reply With Quote