Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
dtesta
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52587
Vehicle:
2004 Bajo Turbo
Silver

Default Oil Change

My Baja is due for it's first oil change. Messy job that I hate to do but I hate the whole drop it off or wait in line for a 15 minute job routine even worse so I try to do my own changes. Has anyone done this before? How much hassle is it? How about synthetic oil? Is it worth it?

Thanks!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
dtesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 01:30 PM   #2
hatake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 34811
Vehicle:
04 Baja T
Black

Dyno/synth issue is probably personal preference for the most part. I'll stick to dyno and change it frequently.

Aside from that, if you have never done it before, I suggest you take off the undercarriage, in order not to spill a large quantity of oil (I surely made a mess, and I've been changing oil myself for 5 years). That little hatch ain't cut it. Also, be careful not to damage the water hose that goes into the engine, next to oil filter. Some FXT owners have damaged the hose and caused leakage. I still had to lift up my car, even with 8.4 inches of ground clearance.

It's a PITA, but makes the relationship more intimate
hatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:36 PM   #3
cadillacjake
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49969
Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black Granite Pearl

I've always done my own oil changes, and on any of my newer cars I've always used Mobil 1 10W30 synthetic. Granted, on an 8 quart engine it costs about $40 to do it myself, so imagine what that would cost if I paid someone. To do it on yours, it should be under $30 with synthetic. Once you figure out the best way to drain the oil (skid plate dodging, oil splash avoidance) and how to fenangle the filter on and off without torching your hands, it's not bad and only takes 10 min or so. It's a learning process, but also gives you a reason to look over your car underneath and underhood. Just good practice I think.
cadillacjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:22 PM   #4
-jv-
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 57845
Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Silver

Oil changes on the Baja are really quite simple. The owner's manual shows you how to remove the undercarriage port to access the filter and oil pan. The filter is very easy to access from underneath as is the oil pan itself, although both are a bit far back from the front of the car.

Two pieces of advice:
1. Spend $6 and get a plastic used oil pan with an internal reservoir. The one I bought holds 15 quarts (almost 3 oil changes) and has plugs to ensure no spillage. Your local auto parts store can dispose of the oil for you. It is MUCH neater.
2. Try lying a length of 2x4 underneath each of your front tires. The couple of inches extra on height should be plenty enough to get underneath and perform the change.
-jv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
dtesta
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52587
Vehicle:
2004 Bajo Turbo
Silver

Default Thank's for the input..

Looks like a good weekend project.
dtesta is offline   Reply With Quote