Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 10, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:44 AM   #1
Neaners
*** Banned ***

Member#: 32186
Default My car is possessed!

Ok, this makes absolutely no sense to me. I dont even see how its possible, but it is... I turn my car off and as normal, the headlights go off and everything seems fine. Then I come back later and the headlights have turned themselves on. Not the foglamps (which are always on with the headlights), but the headlights only. Now mind you, I have the keys out and the alarm set. I get in and there is no dash lights on or anything. The headlights are even in the off position. It happened twice yesterday but to be honest with you, I thought I was just going nuts or something. I tried to busy myself in the garage for a few hours and tried to like catch it doing it, but it didnt. So I blew it off and then went to bed. This morning I go down there and the battery is dead. Like dead, dead. My battery charger wouldnt even jump it. Has anyone ever experienced this sort of possession or have any clue on what it may be?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Neaners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:48 AM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

May be a problem with the DRL system. Are your lights stock, any other electrical mods on the car?
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:57 AM   #3
Neaners
*** Banned ***

Well I did disconnect the DLR's a while back... And yes, unfortunately I did have a wiring harness issue and had to replace my stock one with one of those heavy duty harness's with the relays
but that was almost a year ago and everything has been fine up until yesterday. The only thing that I did do was I was trying to program a new transmitter for my stock alarm on Sat (I was unsuccessful) and so I did that thing where you turn the key to the on position and then to the off position 10 times in 15 sec and then you hear the horn honk. But it never honked for me .... But I dont see how that could be related....
Old 03-22-2004, 12:02 PM   #4
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

I have seen some issues reported with the SUVlights harnesses, you may want to check over them very carefully. The problem is likely there since by rewiring the lights with those harnesses you re-routed the power to come from the battery so there is now the possiblity of the lights being powered with the key off should something go wrong. Check the relays, see if the lights go off if you unplug them.
Did you disable the DRLs by disconnecting the dropping resistor under the hood, or the main control module by the glovebox? If the latter there is no way the DRL system could cause this.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #5
Neaners
*** Banned ***

I unplugged the module behind the glove box... I will check out the wiring harness ... You mean unplug the relay's on the harness or the original stock ones? if the stock, then where would I find them?*sigh* I hate electrical!
Old 03-22-2004, 12:17 PM   #6
Rapid_Roo
Scooby Guru

Member#: 31511
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
03 GD2 95 GM4
www.ITNRally.org

Check the Relays. If one of them has gone bad and decided to stay open it will do what you are experiencing. I had the same problem with a modified SUVights harness. And it made one HID turn on all night....it melted the wires coming from the bulb

It took me awhile but it was the relay, I popped in a new one and haven't had a problem.

RR

psssst. come to the ITN Rally

Rapid_Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:35 PM   #7
Mulder
Trust no one

Vehicle:
02 WRX
15 WRX/05 GTO

Yes check the relays on the SUV harness, not the stock ones. Even if one of the stock relays went bad they are not powered with the key off, and there is a separate relay for each side.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:43 PM   #8
Rapid_Roo
Scooby Guru

Member#: 31511
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
03 GD2 95 GM4
www.ITNRally.org

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulder
Yes check the relays on the SUV harness, not the stock ones. Even if one of the stock relays went bad they are not powered with the key off, and there is a separate relay for each side.
yeah, the suvlights ones. worse yet, you may have the heavy duty harness and there are two for each side, one for the highs and one for the lows on each side. Mine was just the right low one that went out, since I wasn't using the highs, I took one from there and swapped it and it has been fine since.

RR
Rapid_Roo is offline   Reply With Quote