Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #1
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44810
Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

Post Snuglid Installation

O.k. here is my experience with the SnugLid installation for my '03 Baja. I bought the lid from 'Q' at Ideal Automotive in Tampa Florida for ~ $1000 plus tax. There is a coupon on their web site for an extra $25 off which helps out with tax. Since I am installing it my self I did not pay for installation. Installation instruction are found on another thread or here. The lid already comes painted so be sure to order the proper color for your Baja.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by braveit1; 04-29-2004 at 02:08 PM.
braveit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:28 PM   #2
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

Packaging:

The box the lid comes in is 64" x 52".

Old 03-25-2004, 05:32 PM   #3
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

Inside the box is the lid preassebled and a baggy.

The baggy contains screws to mount the rails to the Baja, twist ties, a drain tube, instructions, washers, and warrenty. There is also a set of Keys for the lock.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:39 PM   #4
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

The first set was to unassemble the lid. The cross bar had to be removed so the rails could be. I assume you could try to do the installation without removing the rails but it would be heavy. You have to remove the front (back?, [the smaller part]) half of the lid because it has to slide between the sport bars. After disassembling the lid and removing the Baja's six screws from the upper part of the bed it was time to install the rails. This was my first problem. The screws that came in the baggy were US Standard and the Baja needed #6 metric screws. I will call/write Snuglid about this but a trip to Home Depot fixed it for me. I think I had to spend $1.22 for the six screws.
Since I did not have the screws last night I will finish the installation tonight.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:57 AM   #5
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

With the proper screws the rails mount to the same location the old screws where in. The rails lined up perfectly and were put into place. At this time only the rear two screws are installed on each side. The third set of screws will be installed after the front lid is put in place. The cross bar was installed between the two rails. Next I placed some tape along the top edges of the Baja and the corner by the tailgate.

This is an important step and should not be skipped. It is very likely you will scratch your Baja if you do not do this.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:02 AM   #6
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

Once the front lid is in place you can screw in the last bolt. I found it easier to remove the nut from the rail where the "L" bracket is located and screw the nut back on after the bolt is in place. There are three screws along the cross bar that hold the front lid in place. I had difficultity installing the front two screws into the front lid. It would help to have someone press down on top of the lid while you screw those small screws in.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:08 AM   #7
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

To install the read lid a metal plate must be guided between the tabs on the rails. I did it alone but it would be much easier if you had some help. You also need to attach the lift rods to the hinge. THey have to be slightly compressed to do this. I found that compressing them a few times before trying to attach them loosens them up from the factory/storage. With the hinges in place a bolt is attaached to secure them. This process is reversed when you want to remove the lid for larger objects to put in the bed.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:10 AM   #8
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

Before you close the lid and the tailgate check the key to make sure it unlocks the lid! The lock is located on top of the rear lid. It has a rubber cover to keep the water out of it since it faces up.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:12 AM   #9
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

Finally here is the finished product. (Well semi-finished. I still need to adjust a few bolts to level and square the lid when it is closed. I got to dark last night to do it then but you can get the picture.

Old 03-26-2004, 11:50 AM   #10
SouthShoreBaja
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 50658
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2006 2.5RS
Aspen White

Thanks alot, Braveit, for taking the time to put this together. I'm going to PM the moderator to Sticky this thread so it doesn't leave us.

SouthShoreBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:09 AM   #11
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

After reviewing my installation I have found that another way to do the installation by yourself is to remove the two sets of bolts from the front part of the rails, attach the 'L' brackets to the front lid before attaching the front bolt to the rails. This will allow the weight of the lid to aid in the install and not require some to push down from on top. (refering to the picture with the red circle.) I did notice that the screws in the manual were suppost to be #6 45mm screws. Mine came with 4mm US Standard threads and as I said, The Home Depot sells the proper screws for under $2.00 Just make sure you get the kind that will not rust.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:16 AM   #12
Pow
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 54811
Vehicle:
03 Baja
Regatta Red

Thanks for all the info, braveit1. What is your take on the seals around the smaller portion of the lid? User solid sender commented in an earlier thread that his seals appeared to still be prototypes. Now half a year later, does it look like SnugTop has a good seal up front?

-Pow
Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:26 PM   #13
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

I don't think the design has changed at all. The box I got said it was an '04 model top, whatever that means. For normal driving and rain the seal holds tight but if water is forced along the edge of the cab with the hose or a high pressure wash it will leak into the bed. If there was a channel rail attached to the back of the cab it could help. A more fixed solution would be to glue/seal the gasket to the cab. To fixed for me. As pointed out earlier, the seal will keep things dry 95% of the time.