Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > General Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 05-08-2000, 06:47 AM   #1
Marius
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 38
Angry OT- anyone ever filed to the BBB?

I had it. Some people just don't get it. Had the siding company (OT = off topic?)come out to chaulk the trim. About half into the job I looked at the beads and they are terrible. Uneven, sometimes thick, sometimes missing. So I told him that I'm nit satisfied and he stops working, saying that's the best he can do and that I can do it myself. We got the whole deal sold as premium quality. So I call his supervisor and he just calls me picky, and other stuff and that his people are proud and blahblah. So I want to file to the BBB. Anyone have any experience with that?
Sorry for the off topic, but I reach quite a good crowd that way.
Marius
99 RS blue
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 05-08-2000, 06:59 AM   #2
Jonathan Kent

Member#:
Thumbs down

Hey, Marius.

Sorry to hear that. We've been screwed before by crappy contractors as well. Unfortunately, from my understanding, you filing with the BBB would only benefit others who may hire the same contractors in the future. That is, a future customer would do a "background check" on the contractor and see that someone has filed a complaint against the contractor.

More importantly, you may want to contact a public advocacy group. Basically, they're non-profit organizations which help consumers who've gotten screwed commercially/financially/etc... They would either give you advice on how to take it up legally, or better yet, take up your "cause" directly with the crappy contractor; often resulting in you getting some money back.

I'm sorry I don't have any specific details, though. Hopefully someone else can jump in, or you might want to check the white pages.

Good luck, man.

Jonathan Kent
99 Rally Blue RS

...oops, sorry about that Marius. I initially addressed this one to "Gulio".

[This message has been edited by Jonathan Kent (edited May 08, 2000).]

Old 05-08-2000, 09:45 AM   #3
jhuang76
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1284
Vehicle:
2005 Legacy GT
Royal Blue Pearl

I've had to file a BBB complaint against BellSouth Americast here in Atlanta. A little after filing the complaint, BellSouth Americast gave me a call, and we worked things out. In the end, BBB sent me a final letter, which originated from BellSouth, stating exactly what was done to fix the problem.

IMHO, going the BBB route is very easy. The Atlanta Chapter (and a good amount throughout the US) has a website where you can send you complaint online. It'll take around 10 minutes, so why not give it a try. However, just make sure that the siding company IS listed with the BBB!

If the installation is REALLY ****ty, and you feel like you were scammed, then you can always file a complaint with the State Attorney General!

Hope this helps
Old 05-08-2000, 10:08 AM   #4
miksmi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 411
Vehicle:
2000 Legacy GT wagon
Timberline Green Pearl

Lightbulb

Marius, You can try: 1) find a government office of consumer protection and 2) find the government agency that licensed the contractor. Look under the government listings in the white pages (at least that's where Bell Atlantic puts them). Try your local government first, then the state.

In Maryland, home improvement contractors are licensed by the state, and that's probably the case in MI too. Hopefully you have a written contract; on that will be the contractor's license number (if he's licensed). Take that info to the government agency. On the State of Michigan site, I found the Department of Consumer & Industry Services.

Jonathan Kent is correct, filing w/BBB will inform future consumers to avoid the contractor, assuming the consumer bothers to check w/BBB first. BBB will mediate disputes, but I believe the contractor has to be a member of BBB. Many contractors aren't. Here's a URL for BBB.

Before you call, organize your thoughts on a sheet of paper (or gawd, even in Notepad) with dates, times, and one-sentence summaries of calls to the contractor (plus any written documentation like a contract or sales brochure). You want to be calm and collected, so blow off your steam here before you call. Not to imply that you would, but if you call and start yammering and venting, the person at the other end might get the wrong impression of you as a malcontent and might not be inclined to lend a hand (they're there to help you; they didn't do the caulk "job"

Hope this gets you started and sorry to hear about your misfortune.

..Mike Smith . Silver Spring MD

[EDIT: spelling]

[This message has been edited by miksmi (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old 05-08-2000, 11:00 AM   #5
Bassem
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 305
A good source for contacts of the sort listed above are the first few pages of your yellow or white pages directories. (perhaps called blue pages??)

Anywaym I've seen many numbers listed there including BBBs in my area.

Good luck and don't take ****. I would first send an official letter to the company stating that you plan to file a complaint with the BBB and perhaps a lawsuit with the local Magistrate. Kindly request for them to redo it for free to the promised quality. If they do not respond within 3 or 4 weeks do indeed file your complaints officially. that way when you do go in front of the magistrate, you can show that you tried to resolve the issue properly outside the court room and they ignored you (if they do). Also take photos asap and hold onto the reciepts for the film development.

Bassem