Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:51 PM   #1
getek20
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 43560
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2009 Lancer Ralliart
Black

Default Plz help - Cobb cat-back vs Stromung cat-back

What are the differences between the Cobb cat-back (single 3.5'' tip) and the Stromung cat-back (single 3.5'' tip)? There are so many similarities between the two, and many say that the Cobb cat-back is made by Stromung. I talked to the people at Cobb Tuning and they told me that the Cobb cat-back includes a mid-pipe that has a built in resonator. Does the Stromung cat-back have a built in resonator? Which of these two would yield better performance gains? Which of these two would be quieter? Any help would be appreciated!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
getek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:59 PM   #2
sbrcr267
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 32021
Chapter/Region: SCIC

I've got the stromung dual tip. I don't think the Cobb cat-back is made by stromung but could be wrong. My mid pipe didn't have a resonator so it was quite loud. Although I also had a hi flow cat and borla headers, so I'm not positive how loud the cat-back by itself would be.
sbrcr267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:16 PM   #3
b_tapper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 5291
Vehicle:
'08 Scion xB
Nautical Blue Metallic

the cobb is gonna be quieter since it has a resonator
b_tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:48 PM   #4
kastkc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 51141
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2013 WRX
PBP

Cobb is a stromung axleback, not sure about the mid pipe.

BTW are you planning to get a 3.5' for a NA RS? Just curious.
kastkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
getek20
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 Lancer Ralliart
Black

I was planning on buying the Cobb cat-back with 3.5'' tip for a N/A Impreza.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:02 PM   #6
tre36
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 36707
Vehicle:
03 SG5

COBB's catback for the n/a Subie models are made by Borla with a COBB logo on the exhaust tip (confirmed it with COBB themselves -and COBB is an authorized Borla vendor). I have a COBB catback on MY03 forester and it is extremely loud above 3000 RPMS or when you push it hard off the line. However, the sound is nice and deep. The COBB/Borla catback truely release some of the boxer sound.

Stromung on the other hand have different manufacturers for their exhaust. The single tip 3" is made by Borla and the dual tip and smaller 2.5" tip are made by another (not sure who). The Stromung exhaust is not similiar in design as to COBB/Borla. The Stromung exhaust have more of a "buzz" sound and is not as loud as the COBB's.

COBB's exhaust yields a better performance gain with the cost of noise. I love everything about it except when I go for a long road trip then the noise is unbearable. I have tested the two and prefer the Stromung dual tip. The performance difference is not noticeable but the noise is. If you are planning to purchase the COBB exhaust, buy direct from Borla and you'll save at least $100. I didn't find that out until after I had the COBB exhaust.
Just my take on it...
tre36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 09:33 PM   #7
getek20
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 Lancer Ralliart
Black

Are you sure that the Stromung 3'' dual tip is quieter than the Cobb 3.5'' single tip? Most people I've spoken to say that the Cobb is quieter due to the built in resonator.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:59 AM   #8
tre36
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
03 SG5

I had the Stromung before I switch over to the COBB. I would say from my experience the COBB is louder.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #9
getek20
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2009 Lancer Ralliart
Black

Quote:
Originally posted by tre36
I had the Stromung before I switch over to the COBB. I would say from my experience the COBB is louder.
Did you have the Stromung single tip or the Stromung dual tip cat-back? Also, did you notice any performance gains or decreases when switching to the Cobb?
Old 04-01-2004, 05:41 PM   #10
tre36
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
03 SG5

I had the Stromung dual tip. Performance difference between the two are not noticeable.