Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Forester Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-10-2004, 01:01 PM   #1
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 42249
Default Peaty-- SpeedBleeder Question

I installed 4 speedbleeders on my 2002 Maxima today. The speedbleeder is a little longer than the OEM that was on my Maxima.

So, I remove the old bleeder, install the new speedbleeder, then back it off 1/4 of a turn. I bled the brakes and tightened it back on. I don't have a torque wrench in inch pds, so I tightened it until I met some resistance then gave it a little more (1/4 turn or less). While the wheel was off, I cleaned all four wheel wells, springs and calipers with Simple Green and a brush.

I took the car on a test drive and all went well. Came back and felt around the bleeder and 3 of the 4 have some brake fluid there (less than a drop but enough to show on my finger). It's not dripping, but there is some fluid there.

My question is, how tight should I get these or is it normal to have a little leak out at first? I'm worried about breaking them off if I tighten too much.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ForesterXT04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 01:42 PM   #2
subefriek
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 11214
Vehicle:
2001 legacy Gt
titanium

You should'nt have to reef too hard to get the bleed valves to seat properly if you have to really tighten them down something is wrong you should just have to snug em.

Pat
subefriek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 02:21 PM   #3
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

I took off the back wheels (both had leaks) and only had to turn 1/4 turn and they were loose. I wiped all the excess off then turned 1/4 and then 1/4 more...probably put about 5 to 10 ft pds. Tested the brakes with the wheels off and I don't see any leaks. I think there might have been a drop in the tip that seeped out rather than a leak around the threads.

I dried up the front one and tested the brakes and I didn't feel anymore fluid up there either. Of course, this was all done with no load, just parked in the garage so I'll check again tomorrow.

It kinda makes sense though, they were tighter and tighter as I went from PR, DR, PF, DF...driver front was the one with no leak.
Old 04-10-2004, 05:57 PM   #4
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R Lim
Azurite Blue Pearl

I had that problem once when I blead the brakes. What little was left in the bleeder itself sort of leaked out and onto the threads. It looked like it was leaking (a little goes a long way) but after I sprayed the area down with brake cleaner it was fine. You want them tight but not too tight. SpeedBleeders have some goop on the threads that makes turning them a little harder than the normal bleeder. I don't torque mind down I just make them nice and snug. I thought they were a little longer than stock too, maybe it's to make up for the check valve in there.
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 07:59 AM   #5
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Thanks all
Old 04-11-2004, 09:39 AM   #6
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R Lim
Azurite Blue Pearl

Aside from this problem, what do you think of the SpeedBleeders? I thought they make things a lot easier.
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 11:44 AM   #7
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaty
Aside from this problem, what do you think of the SpeedBleeders? I thought they make things a lot easier.
I had a 91 Explorer that I could never get all the air out (front disc/rear drum). Since then, I have not looked forward to brake jobs.

It takes a few times to completely trust the bleeder, but it is doing its job. I wasn't sure if air was getting past because the tube I used kept bubbling around the speedbleeder.

After redoing the back wheels it became like second nature. I drained the whole reservoir from MAX to MIN through each caliper to make sure the fluid was completly fresh. When I was done, I could feel the brakes grab a little quicker. All in all a good experience. I appreciate the recommendation since this site is where I got the idea.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:41 AM   #8
Bobshere
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49835
Vehicle:
2004 Forester 2.5 XT
White

ForesterXT04,

I came to FXT from a '92 Explorer, so we probably share some impressions of our new rides How many transmissions did you replace on your Exploader ??? I had to do one at 55k miles

I think I'm going to like FXT a lot more!!!!

Cheers,

Bob

PS: Seems to me like some clear plastic tubing, to see bubbles present as you bleed, and a recruited daughter, to press the pedal on command, make the job sufficiently easy to not bother with the SpeedBleeder -- but what do I know
Bobshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:27 PM   #9
ForesterXT04
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobshere
ForesterXT04,

I came to FXT from a '92 Explorer, so we probably share some impressions of our new rides How many transmissions did you replace on your Exploader ??? I had to do one at 55k miles

I think I'm going to like FXT a lot more!!!!

Cheers,

Bob

PS: Seems to me like some clear plastic tubing, to see bubbles present as you bleed, and a recruited daughter, to press the pedal on command, make the job sufficiently easy to not bother with the SpeedBleeder -- but what do I know
Hey Bob!

I had a 91 Explorer Sport with the 5MT. I had to have a rebuild at 100k miles, but it was going again at 152k. Where the Explorer felt more utilitarian (like a tank) the Forester XT feels like a sophisticated sports car. Two completely different animals...me likes.

The clear tube helps, but air still gets in around the edges making it difficult to tell.