Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-29-2004, 12:12 PM   #1
oceaneer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 60635
Default To the snuglid guys...

New here, hello all. I am looking into a Turbo, probably going to be a 2005 at this point. Local dealers have told me to expect them in June/July; very hard to find a 2004 here to test drive at the moment - at least without driving an hour or more.

My questions concerns the Snuglid.

1) Can it be secured with the tailgate lowered, or does it just sit there and bouce around?

2) Do you have to use the key to open it? ie If you were in the car with the engine running could your mate open it to chuck a bag in, or do you have to hand over a key? Or put another way, can it be closed but not locked?

Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
oceaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
Road Toad
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 49777
Vehicle:
04 Turbo Blk/Blk
01 BMW M Coupe Blk/Blk

Default Answers to yer questions

1. The Snuglid locks every time you close it, with latches on each side, so if you close the Snuglid while the tailgate is down, the Snuglid stays latched and locked.

2. Yep, you need to open it every time with a key, unless you pay an extra $150 to get the remote controlled option, then you gotta carry the remote with you.

John
Road Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:53 PM   #3
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44810
Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

1) It can be closed with the tailgate down. The Snuglig locks on to rails that are screwed to the existing holes in the BAJA bed. (No drilling needed). There is a latch release so that anyone can open it while the bed is down. This is for safty sake in case someone was locked in there. I think most new cars have this in their trunks. I guess you could cut/ remove the wire if needed. It locks tight so it won't bounce around.

2) The Snuglid comes with a key that is different from the ones that come with the Baja. Kind of like those days when the door key was different from the ignition. I am thinking of taking the truck to a locksmith to see if it can be rekeyed to the same as my Baja key. There is an optional keyless entry system snugtop sells but I don't know if it'll work with this model (the snuglid sl). When you close the lid it locks. You may be able to lower it without it locking but if someone presses down on it all the way, yes it'll lock.
With some skills you may be able to rig a release to the inside of truck from some old car parts I guess. You would probly have to drill a hole or maybe remove some body pannels to pass the cable through.
braveit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 03:33 PM   #4
colonelcorn76
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 60723
Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black

Lightbulb Remote release

There's an idea that would work -- running a cable in a sheath (like a throttle cable or something) and attaching it to the emergency release inside the lid on one end & something inside on the other. I bet there's a hole somewhere in the back panel that would get it through without needing new holes. The throttle cable on my hovercraft is 20 feet long so I know there are cables that are long enough.

On the other hand, rekeying the lock would seem to be a workable scenario too -- even if you have to get a replacement glove box lock from the dealer to get the right lock cylinder & wafers.

On another note, anyone know what the electrical pigtail is that runs out of the insulation layer on the lid is for? I can't see anywhere that there is a light socket in the lid or is it for power for the remote lock?

Jim
colonelcorn76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 04:02 PM   #5
oceaneer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 60635

Thank you all. Questions answered. Now I just need the vehicle to try it out on. Stay tuned.
oceaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
braveit1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44810
Vehicle:
2003 Baja w/Snuglid
Black & Silver

Quote:
On another note, anyone know what the electrical pigtail is that runs out of the insulation layer on the lid is for? I can't see anywhere that there is a light socket in the lid or is it for power for the remote lock?
I never noticed it. I'll have to check it out after it stops raining tonight.
braveit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
colonelcorn76
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black

Question Electrical pigtail

Mine is coming from the front left corner of the lid (when standing behind the car with the lid up). It comes out of the carpet that's used for the undersurface of the lid just behind the left hinge. It has a 16 or 18 ga black & red wire with a plastic connector. There's no mention of it anywhere that I can find.

I'll have to throw a meter on it to see if there's power in it now in case it's to power a light that would attach to it. Otherwise I was thinking it would be used to power the remote lock feature & they just install the wiring in case someone buys the lock afterwards.

Jim
Old 05-02-2004, 11:21 AM   #8
Tkacik
Scooby Guru

Member#: 847
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
'06 Titan Crew Cab
'08 Forester LL Bean

Quote:
Originally posted by colonelcorn76
There's an idea that would work -- running a cable in a sheath (like a throttle cable or something) and attaching it to the emergency release inside the lid on one end & something inside on the other. I bet there's a hole somewhere in the back panel that would get it through without needing new holes. The throttle cable on my hovercraft is 20 feet long so I know there are cables that are long enough.

On the other hand, rekeying the lock would seem to be a workable scenario too -- even if you have to get a replacement glove box lock from the dealer to get the right lock cylinder & wafers.

Jim

This really has nothing to do with the topic but.... Did you say you had a hovercraft???

I wanna see!
Tkacik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:36 PM   #9
colonelcorn76
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Baja Turbo
Black

Default Hovercraft

Quote:
Originally posted by STiTkacik
This really has nothing to do with the topic but.... Did you say you had a hovercraft???

I wanna see!
<WAG> Yep. It's a 3 psgr custom model based on the Scat designs. It's got a 65hp Rotax ultralight aircraft engine and a two-bladed wood prop. I've got it on a "fly on fly off" trailer that pivots in the middle. The bed tilts to the rear so I can just fly it up on the trailer and when I want to take it off I just spin it to the right and lower the front of the trailer to the ground to fly it straight off. (Hovercraft usually don't have a reverse.)