Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > Technical Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-26-2000, 03:37 PM   #1
Sammy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1254
Vehicle:
1999 Impreza 2.5RS
Black Pearl

Talking Legacy to Impreza trunklight conversion

I hadn't planned on this, just worked out that way. Went to a local salvage yard that deals only with Subies and asked if I could buy a trunklight off an older model impreza (I remember reading somewhere that Subaru dropped this "feature" when they went to all AWD cars to save money). Funny thing was, none of the dead Impreza's there had a trunklight! The guy even said that he wanted to get a trunklight for his girlfriend's '93 Impreza and couldn't find one. So, not being disuaded since I KNEW subaruparts had an impreza trunklight AND all the hook-ups for a trunklight are already in the Impreza, I started checking out the other models that were there. Sure enought, the Legacy's had trunklights and they looked just like the ones picture on the Joseph Luk's trunklight mod http://pages.ripco.net/~revision/trunklight.html (which I happened to bring a picture of with me). So I gave the man $10 (he initially wanted $20 - hah!) and he gave me the latch and light from a '95 Legacy. I immediately raced home and set to work installing the light. Out came the old latch, in went the new latch, in went the light, both connector snapped in place like they were meant for each other, and WAHLAH! For the first time since it's inception my trunk was "swathed" in artificial light. Happy with my first "serious" mod (changing the plugs and filter don't count), I closed the trunk and OOPS! It wouldn't close!!! I figured I must have bolted the latch too high (a common mistake I hear) so I go back it with my handy lug wrench and WHAAA.... You can't adjust it! I then took it out and compared it -- yep, the darn thing was too big... Identical in every way, except it was about 1/2 inch taller than the impreza latch.

Soooo.. what was I to do? Well I'll tell yah...

First I thought about drilling a couple of new holes in the Legacy latch so that I could mount it lower.. but that metal is THICK.. naaaah...

Next I though about removing the spring loaded plastic switch part.. looked kinda welded to the latch though.. nonetheless this seemed the best strategy (I did spend $10 after all -- and the light part worked just fine!). So first, I carefully bent the lower part of the bracket that held the "L" shaped plastic plunger in place (see pic on trunk light mod), and then carefully pulled the plunger, spring, and connecting wire out in one piece. I then set to work on removing the bracket itself. There were two weld points that were visible now that the plunger part was out, so I took my trusty chinese made cordless drill ($38 from Ocean State Job Lot) and a 1/8th inch carbon steel drill bit ($1.99 for two from Home Depot) and drilled out both the weld spots. I then placed the latch in a strong vice ($6.99, also from OSJL) and started hammering away at it with a chisel ($9.95 for set of three from OSJL) until it's rather bent but intact body was chiseled free from the legacy latch. I then used the same drill/bit to drill a corresponding hole in my MY99 RS trunklatch (after straightening out the bracket and lining it up on the impreza latch so that it was in approximately the same position as it had been on the legacy latch). I then superglued the bracket to the impreza latch and secured it in place with a single sheet metal screw (size #8 I believe -- the screw is absolutely necessary because the circut for the light requires the use of the latch as a ground once it's bolted to the car). I then installed the whole thingy back into my RS, making sure the latch was lined up were it had been originally (I made sure of this by scoring a small line just above the latch before removing it initially) and this time, TRUE WALAH!! The trunklight looks straight from the factory!

And all it cost me was $10! (plus the cost of the drill, the drill bits, the vice, and the chisels... like over $65, but still... at least I didn't pay Subaru $40 for a damn light that should have been there to begin with!!!)

Hope someone finds this usefull...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2000, 08:31 PM   #2
North Ursalia
Miss You Mom
Oct 1940 - Feb 2008

Super Moderator

Member#: 809
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS, '14 For
92 5MT SVX

I did that to my Impreza L when I had it- just dremeled off that bracket with the plastic switch. Crude, but effective!