Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > Technical Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-05-2000, 04:24 PM   #1
Mike Riegel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 394
Post Door Panel Insert Removal/Replacement

Okay people...

I want to do a little interior modification, part of which includes the replacement of my wonderful light grey panel inserts (I have a 98 RS - you know, the same material as the seat backs) in the door and rear passenger area. I got the front door panel off and saw that the piece with the fabric is essentially the top of the door which is held on by glue and some plastic melt-welds (I don't know if that is even a word - but if you've been behind there you know what I'm talking about).

In short, how do I get those little buggers off?

I know that when you get leather installed in a car, they also replace those side panels - so there must be some way to get them off without damaging the door too badly - any ideas? Any auto aupolsterers (also not sure if that is a word) out there with any trade secrets dying to get out?

I'm trying to re-do my interior without getting into serious money for the professional installation and would love any input that you can give....

Thanks in advance.

Go Scooby!
Mike
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-05-2000, 04:41 PM   #2
Subu WEX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1169
The whole process of amateur interior work is a bit risky. Be patient, very patient.

Try using a hair dryer to soften up the glue and try to peel off the stuff.

If you're going to try to work with leather, don't. It's f#$@'n impossible for such things. There are a few types of vinyl you might be able to use, and maybe even apply over the old stuff...

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2000, 08:55 PM   #3
CNC84
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 642
I would probably just take it to a pro it will be a tremendous pain in the arse to do a great job that will last a long time but it will probably cost a pretty penny.
and by the way it isn't aupolsterers they prefer to be called trimmers
Chris