Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Impreza Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-09-2001, 12:45 AM   #1
deke
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 5313
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
World Rally Blue

Post Break-in advice

Howdy - I'm picking up a blue WRX wagon April 24th, but I'll be driving it home for about 700 miles (long story but it was the only one I could find in time). I realize I should keep the revs at 4000 or below, but I have always heard you should never run a new car at the same rpms for prolonged periods of time. If this is true, how much should I vary and how often? Even if I am jerking back and forth the whole trip, I think I will still have fun in the new car.

Also, is the break-in period 1000 or 3000 miles? I see different opinions on this. Either way, I will wait, but I have this incredibly snobby friend with a Saab 9-5 Aero and I am just dying to shut him up when he rides shotgun in my new WRX.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 08:47 PM   #2
sileshell
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 5562
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza
Blue

I don't know anything about the RPM thing, but I do know that the break in period is 1000 miles. Just be careful with it, and HAVE FUN!!
sileshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 08:49 PM   #3
deke
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 5313
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
World Rally Blue

Whew - someone at the dealer told me 3000 - I'm sure he was wrong and you are right. 3000 would be a killer!
deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2001, 09:09 PM   #4
Slvrblt
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4811
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2014 Focus ST
NESIC track Ho #35

I've heard under 4k for 1000 miles, then change the oil to get rid of the burr and other crap that rubbed off of of the engine.

I've also heard that you then beat the ever loving snot out of it, then change the oil again. but that's just ones opinion, I can't remember who suggested that but he said that his father had a dodge caravan that they turned in at about 300k miles and still running. but that's what I've heard at least

but definately the 1000k mile idea.
Slvrblt is offline   Reply With Quote