Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 18, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > Technical Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-18-2000, 02:08 PM   #1
SubaruDriver
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490
Vehicle:
99 2.5 RS

Post Rattling Sounds from Engine

When I start my engine cold... I get some Rattling sounds... someone told me it sounds like a lifter... Sometimes it goes away when it warms up, and sometimes it doesn't. If I turn it off after it warms up, and re-start it... it always goes away.. anyone know what is going on?

Thanks!
Jay
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2000, 04:47 PM   #2
ShaneW
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 226
Vehicle:
1999 Impreza 2.5RS
Rally Blue Pearl

I'm guessing that you are hearing the solid lifters. Most(all) cars nowdays use hydrolic lifters becuase they don't need to be ajusted and are quite. Talk to any aircooled VW guy if you want to know more about solid lifters.

ShaneW
Old 05-18-2000, 04:54 PM   #3
svxtrem
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1008
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Steel Grey Metallic

Depends on the year of your engine. The '98,'99s use solid lifters, but they don't rattle, if they're off they 'tick'. Most likely, you're hearing piston rattle. If you've got a '99 you're probably hearing some piston slap. They went to a slipper skirt on those and they will make noise when cold. Not really anything to worry about.
Old 05-18-2000, 05:22 PM   #4
svxtrem
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1008
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Steel Grey Metallic

Sorry, I should have said '97 and '98s use solid lifters.
Old 05-18-2000, 05:51 PM   #5
RandyF

Member#:
*WAIT*

There have been two threads in the main forum within the last couple of months about this, and one of them was a good buddy of mine (Basshead).

Both of them got Warranty service for loose tensioner wheels... It will be better if I find the threads...

crap... I don't have time... maybe he will post...

A

Old 05-19-2000, 09:27 AM   #6
SubaruDriver
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490
Vehicle:
99 2.5 RS

Anyone else have some input on this please?
Old 05-19-2000, 09:54 AM   #7
Kalins1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 484
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2003 Baja
Custom Silver and Red

I had my tensioner wheel looked at for this reason and they tech said it was the solid lifters on my '98. It always goes away after about a minute or so of warm-up. It is also a lot better now that I am using a better oil filter.
Old 05-19-2000, 09:58 AM   #8
RandyF

Member#:
Check this thread

and this thread

Hope this helps... get it looked at by Service if you are worried... at worst it will be a day or so in the shop and covered by warranty.

A