Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > Technical Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-30-2000, 09:49 AM   #1
chyisan
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1083
Vehicle:
99 Altima
Black

Cool HOLY Honk'n Hella Impreza Batman!!!

Ok, I've got my Hella 500 mounts installed and ready to mount the lights. I want 2 power sources for the light switch, the parking lights AND the Horns. The result of which is that when I honk my horns, the Hella's will flash. How do I do this? What if I had my parking lights and my Hella's and I honk my horn? Will I blow any relays? I need some help from all you electrical tech guys out there. I'm seriously electrically challenged.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-30-2000, 09:52 AM   #2
8Complex

Member#: 922
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
04 FXT
Red

I think you just need another relay and you should be fine. I wish I could explain it, but I've never dealt with the terminology with relays...
Old 08-30-2000, 10:35 AM   #3
rjones
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1477
Vehicle:
2003 wrx wagon
silver

A quick relay lesson: A relay is just a big switch that is in the middle of the power line that runs from the battery to the lights. The switch is turned 'on' via the application of any 12v power source to the switch lead on the relay, and this will allow the bigger stream of power direct from the battery to go to the lights. Tehrefore there are two lines of power associated with a relay, one is high current and drives the lights, and one is low current and drives the switch. When you turn your fogs on from inside the car, a low current, 12V stream of power goes to the switch lead on the relay and turns on the higher stream of power that runs the lights. For as long as power goes into the swtich lead, the relay will send the high power to the lights, conversely if there is no 12V power on the switch lead, no light. Therefore, you just need to connect any power that comes on when the horn comes on to the switch lead of the foglight relay. Unfortunately I can;t tell you which input into the stock relay is the correct one....but if you use the hella relay, there will be a scematic. You want the one coming from the switch.

Hope this helped more than confused.

rj
Old 08-31-2000, 12:34 AM   #4
chyisan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
99 Altima
Black

Ok, I think I understand now. I've got everything connected except the wire that goes to the 12V power source for the switch. Now, let's say I use an adaptor and split that wire in 2, one going to the horn and one going to my parking lights. The end result would be that when the switch is on and I honk my horn, the Hella's will flash. Or, when the the switch is on and I turn my parking lights on, the Hellas would come on. But...what if I honk my horn at that time? The relay would be getting power from 2 sources, the horn and the parking lights. What would happen? How would I solve that problem?
Old 08-31-2000, 05:01 AM   #5
paultg
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 437
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
'91 Miata MX5 (Red)
'09 Impreza OBS (Blk/Gry)

Words of caution, I think flashing the bulbs in the Hella lights may decrease your bulb life. I had PIAA H3 bulbs in my factory fogs, and they would blink when I armed the car because I did the fog light mod. Blinking does not heat the bulb up to operating temperature, and mine did not last long. Now I just make sure the switch is off, so they don't blink.

Paul G.
Old 08-31-2000, 07:23 AM   #6
wraithmk3
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1527
RJ, good less. Mine only input towards it is to make sure you fuse between your connections to the horn. You could run a little risk of blowing the main fuse in a bad situation like holding down your horn for a long time( bastard driver pissing you off). As for the comment about flashing the fog lights will decrease their life span, I will tell you from personal experience that I have had my fog hooked up to the alarm on any car I have owned and never had primature burnout from a good bulb(like piaa, hella, ect.) From cheapo bulbs this problem has arose. But, special cases can come up so go with quality to get quality results. Good luck.

Danny
Old 08-31-2000, 07:28 AM   #7
paultg
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 437
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
'91 Miata MX5 (Red)
'09 Impreza OBS (Blk/Gry)

My PIAA H3 superwhite bulbs lasted 7 months.
I just want you to know. I put them in the correct way, never touched them.
I have not had a problem with the second set, and do not leave them on when I arm the car.
Paul G.
Old 08-31-2000, 12:15 PM   #8
rjones
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1477
Vehicle:
2003 wrx wagon
silver

Yes, you would get two sources of power to the switch if you honked your horn while the fog lights were on. This shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the great idea, I think I'm headed to do it this weekend...

rj
Old 08-31-2000, 09:39 PM   #9
chyisan
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
99 Altima
Black

Smile

I'm finished! I wired my switch to the radio and the lights are now working. Man, these are bright enough to replace my headlights. THANK YOU ALL for helping me out on this project. I now have the only frog-eyed Impreza in Houston! (I think)..

rjones: I'm glad you like my idea. Are you sure that doing so wouldn't burn out the relay? I mean, when I honk the horn when the lights are on, there will be two 12V power sources going to a relay that was designed for only 12V... Well, just a word fo caution to you. If you do decide to do it, keep me posted would 'ya?