Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > Technical Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 05-30-2000, 02:42 PM   #1
Sammy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1254
Vehicle:
1999 Impreza 2.5RS
Black Pearl

Lightbulb Center storage box mod

Wish your center storage compartment (Impreza RS and Forester owners) could open ALL THE WAY and STAY THERE! Here's a 5 minute mod that makes it so and all you need is a philips screwdriver and a pair of standard pliers.

(This actually didn't start out as a mod, I was just trying to get the lid on the center storage thingy/auxillary glovebox to stay up after I opened it all the way (it would fall down/half close if I didn't keep my hand on it, making it difficult to get things out one-handed). So I had some free time this afternoon and figured I'd open it up and take a look...)

I found out how to get it off by reading the first part of the Gauge pack install instructions on Aaron and Peat's AZ-Scooby page -- http://www.azscooby.freeservers.com/ -- very nice page BTW -- good work guys!). Once I had the screws out pulling the whole deal forward took a small amout of effort (it's held in place by two plastic clips on either side of the vents, once you get one loose, the other comes out pretty easy).

Once off you'll see on the back of the compartment there are two hinge assemblies that use springs to provide friction for keeping the hatch open. (here's a pic from Peat's gauge pack install instructions showing the spring hinge just under his thumb: http://www.azscooby.freeservers.com/...ages/hatch.jpg If you try opening the hatch now, you'll see that it stops where a small piece of black metal is bent over and comes in contact with a piece of silver metal. If you take your pliers and gently bend upward the black metal piece just enough, you can get it to just barely slide over the silver metal piece. After carefully doing this on both sides, you'll find that you can not only open the hatch further now, but you can get it stay open pretty solidly given the friction between the two pieces of metal when they are sliding next to each other.

Now, just pop the whole thing back into place, replace the screws and their plastic covers and try it out! Mine can open to the point where it almost touches the window before the back binds against the dash (if I push on it hard enough). Makes a great place to hold burgers & fries while I'm driving now, and the hatch doesn't fall shut when you accelerate. Best of all, it stays open when I want to get things out of there.

Hope someone finds this useful...

[This message has been edited by Sammy (edited May 30, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sammy (edited May 31, 2000).]
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2000, 02:56 PM   #2
AaronB
Worst Mod Ever

Member#: 369
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
19 CTS-V, 18 XC90
17 GTI

Wink

The reason why your image link won't work is that you can't link directly to images on sites hosted by freeservers. You need to link to the page instead.

It is a pain when you are trying to show someone something

Thanks for the compliments about the page though.

Aaron
Old 05-30-2000, 03:09 PM   #3
Sammy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Impreza 2.5RS
Black Pearl

Funny.. the image seems to work fine when I read the post... wierd...
Old 05-30-2000, 06:05 PM   #4
kastle
Frank Army

Member#: 1457
Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

Question

Is that the standard center storage box or the extended one?
Old 05-30-2000, 07:35 PM   #5
ajday
*** Banned ***

Member#: 127
Vehicle:
1999 Imp RS
Rally Blue

He's talking about the storage unit on the top of the dash/front of car.
Old 05-30-2000, 07:38 PM   #6
kastle
Frank Army

Member#: 1457
Vehicle:
1999 Outback Sport
Steel Blue Mica

crap, I suppose I should have went over to the site and scanned through Peaty's pages and found the pic.

But that smacks of effort...
Old 05-31-2000, 06:25 AM   #7
Narso
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1442
Vehicle:
1999 2.5 RS
Aspen White

Thumbs up

Sammy,

I love you man! *sniff, sniff* That is a simple and useful change.

Thanks,

Dan Z.

[This message has been edited by Narso (edited May 31, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Narso (edited May 31, 2000).]
Old 05-31-2000, 08:32 AM   #8
Sammy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1999 Impreza 2.5RS
Black Pearl

Smile